Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 300/300/130 Female 165cms
BF:
Progress:
Default Sooo... bone broth....

Have from ,time to time, done this with a left over chicken carcass, never bothered with beef bones etc. After hours of reading up via the internet etc, finally plumped for organic bones from everfield meat in Devon, what a palaver! Additionally the cost was ridiculous, £4.95 for a kilo of bones.....

I'm getting confused by organic as opposed to grass fed and the myriad of differences, grass fed or organic, organic doesn't automatically mean grass fed and vice versa. Just don't want to use bones that have stored lots of antibiotics and stuff in them, when I now use broth frequently....

Anyone else looking at this at the moment?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 08:24

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I make bone broth regularly (every 2 weeks usually) about half the time chicken, half the time beef.

I follow The Paleo Mom's lead on a lot of this stuff, and what she says is to make the broth with whatever bones you have (she's actuuquite frugal herself) but skim off he fat (and throw it away) if the bones are lower quality. I actually usually skim the fat off the chilled broth most of the time, even if I'm using grassed or pastured animal bones because I'm not crazy about the taste. I use almost all of my broth to make soup, some for cooking, but I don't care to drink it straight.

I keep a bag in my freezer that I toss bones into (beef & lamb). I don't keep pork bones, and I usually make chicken broth right away (although I reuse the feet sometimes in a second batch).

I've been regularly making & using broth for a few years now, so if you have other questions don't hesitate to ask...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 300/300/130 Female 165cms
BF:
Progress:

Thanks ParisMama, for your prompt reply.

I've watched Dr Kaayla Daniel on Mercola, then watched her Ted debate and a few other links here and there.

With chicken, good fat layer/gelatine didn't form, although had a good fat layer on beef/marrow bone on the beef.
I've frozen a good portion of the beef and marrow bone haul but not as gelatinous as hoped for. Missing pigs trotters and chicken feet perhaps,the latter of which I again get charged silly money for.

Just feeling huffy, oh and and th Am-drams from the other half, over the smell of the bone broth doing it's thing....
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-15, 14:55

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

My husband hates the smell too. I do mine in a pressure cooker, now more often when he's at work...

The gel, in particular with chicken, seems to vary a lot based on how concentrated it is (how much water to bone) and yes, the addition of chicken feet does help. I re-use the feet twice though. I also add the chicken skin to the broth since no one in my family likes to eat it (and it contains collagen)

For the beef broth I've recently started adding a small oxtail which adds great flavor as well as gel. I've been using the beef broth in some specific recipes that need the beefy flavor so the extra cost is worth it (I use it to make a coconut amino substiute and since coconut aminos are insanely expensive in Europe I figure the small cost of the oxtail is worth it).

For both he beef and chicken you get better flavor if you use a little meat (can be the grisly bits you cut off and leave on your plate - I'm not talking about anything expensive). I don't always do that but I do try to grab a few little bits.