Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 18:19

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default SB info, forum

Catherine, Vicky, if you want to get more info, you can find on the prevention.com site. Both info and forum.
The info:
http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...s1-6267,00.html
The forum:
http://forums.prevention.com/forum.jsp?forum=40
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:02

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have been on here advocating for a South Beach forum and am wondering where there is such resistance. It is a lower carb plan, just read the diet. I did check out the prevention websites, I guess I just love the community I have found here.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 18:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 193.5/186/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hello,
I am on the SB. It is (in my mind) very different than Atkins. I can not have bacon, most cheeses, etc. It monitors the fat as well as carb. There are "good" carbs and "Bad" carbs.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 21:14

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%

Hi everyone,

I read the SB book last week and DH and I started the plan today.There are a few untruths posted here about the fats (he does not advocate hydrogenated fats or anything with them in the ingredients) The margarine he suggests is I Can't Believe it's not butter spray( 0 fat) The tub marg. had hydrogen oils so is not allowed.

I have been doing Atkins,from Jan. 1999-20003 when I did the fat flush plan for 6 months. I went off plan and found I need to be on a plan,so I went searching for a happy medium. I like this plan and it does sound very healthy to me as it is mostly whole foods versus processed.

I know I got lengthy so let me get to the point.I think that YMMV and we should all be accepting of variations of LC'ing. I enjoy this forum and want to stay here so I think it is important that we all support those (me included) who choose to try an alternative LC plan. Even the late,dear Dr. Atkins said that when you stall out to try another LC plan but just stay on a plan. The SB plan has been a success for many,many people and we should all be free to try something new.One last thought...remember back at all the mis-information for yrs. about Dr. Atkins WOE but it worked for so many and apply that to the choice I and others would like to make(whether it works for us or not). If I fall,it will be on my own face (or other body part ) but I would love to have the support of others the same as I support them here in their choices.

Hugs,
Linda
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:42

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I coudn't agree with you more! I myself don't adhere strictly to the Atkins plan. I struggle with the supplement part of the plan and think that if you eat healthy, nutritious foods in moderation you can lose weight. This includes all kinds of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. The thing that Atkins has taught me is to be more aware of the carbs in foods so that I can make low carb choices. And isn't that what this is all about - choices?

I choose to eat low carb foods. Each of the LC plans here gives me a different perspective on the LC way of life and provides me with choices. I take what I need to from each and am more aware now of how my body feels when I eat different foods. Maybe not a perfect way to "adhere to plan" but it seems to work most of the time for me.

I'm learning more and more about portions and moderation and am learning to listen to my body. That I think, more than anything else, is the key to healthy living and weight loss - whether it's Atkins, SBD, CAD, whatever...

(Stepping down from the soapbox now...)
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 08:34

Hi Goose and other SBers!

I hope it is going well for you.I am on day 3,eating good,cravings gone and I'm down 4 1/2 in 2 days. I couldn't be more thrilled that I found this plan.Like you,Goose,I have been listening to my body for several months.It's not a bad idea for anyone. The only reason the Atkins quit working for me was that I was taking the "can haves" way too far. Not Atkins fault...it was how I reacted. I listened to my body and found that it may not have been the insulin spike causing me to over-eat certain foods but rather the taste of them.If I made something dessert I could not quit until it was gone...not a good thing. I am happy with this medium so this is what I will do not to get the weight off and keep it off.I have read about everything now and there are definitely good and bad carbs as well as good and bad fats.

Ok,enough of that...Have a good day whatever plan you choose...

Linda
PS.If any of you find a thread started for SB please let me know in my journal or PM. Maybe we could go to the buddy list!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Default Now in Week 17 of SBD and lovin' it!

Hi, Fellow "Beach Babes" (and Dudes)! I was 192 on 09/15/03 and lost thirty pounds before Christmas. I put back a few over the holidays but I suspect that by Monday, January 12 I will be back around 162. I cannot recommend this plan highly enough. It is the only WOE that has truly worked for me. (Linda, I'm with you! I have trouble with those "allowed" foods. SBD doesn't make you count calories, but I keep a food log anyway, just to keep track of quantity. It really helps.)

I found Atkins too restrictive also and it didn't seem "healthy" to me. I like the idea of good carbs/bad carbs. After the initial Phase (about two weeks or more, if you think you need it), you ARE allowed cheeses and so on. The key here is moderation and overall nutritional value, I think. It's not so much a low carb diet as it is a low glycemic (sugar) diet. This tends to reduce the carbs considerably by default.

Another key is to eat as much fiber as your system can handle comfortably and gradually increase it. This should offset a lot of the carb detriment. You can even have limited alcohol after the first Phase. Red wine is the most accepted, but you have to have it with meals. (I like the Aussie Shiraz wine "Yellow Tail" the best so far. Their Merlot is good, too!)

As far as desserts, you can have them also, if they're the right ones. If you make it yourself, then you can just make enough for that day's portion, if you'd like. I found a lot of good recipes on the web. I like the Splenda sweetener the best. They also have a granulated version that you can use in recipes.

I like the idea of a buddy list. Linda, I will look up how to contact you directly in your profile, if allowed. I know they don't like us to put our email here. Jayjoy and others, I agree that we beachers should have our own forum as well.

Have a great day on the Beach, everyone! (Here is Boston is not exactly tanning weather - a balmy 18 degrees! Brrrrr!)

Last edited by ckoudsi617 : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 13:53.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

My wife picked up the South Beach diet book to start that diet plan. So I decided to give it a read. Here are my few thoughts on the diet/book.

1) It seemed more restrictive than Atkins (perhaps the foods I wanted to eat were a no no on SBD) For instance I like that I can eat cheese and fatty meats which are a no no on SB. (He says that saturated fats are bad, but from the studies I've seen I haven't seen where they are unhealthy).
2) I really didn't see any major differences in what I could eat on Atkins (in moderation) than what was in SB besides what I noted above. (That is when you are beyond induction) .
3) For me it didn't have enough information. I liked that Atkins spelled out everything. No guessing about whether I could it it on SB or not. It was also more difficult to figure out how much of foods I could eat.

I will admit that I read though it rather quickly. And that my wife has lost a bunch since she's been on it. Helped her get though the holidays and still lose weight. Thats a huge plus for anyone.

PS. I'm not trying to say that this diet is wrong or bad or won't work, as I said it worked for my wife, just providing my thoughts on it.

Last edited by mle_ii : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 20:26.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:19

Thanks for visiting us beachers,Mle. we always enjoy any insights. Ok,here's the BUT...

1. You can have your cheese and eat it,too.He suggests low fat cheese as it has no real difference in carbs than whole cheese but much less sat. fat.

2.The major difference between Atkins is that it is in lower in sat/hydrogentated fats. You still eat good fats mainly from canola/olive oil. The difference come after 2 wks. when you can add back in whole foods that Atkins does not allow(can we say beans...LOL) grains,oatmeal,Kashi Go-Lean crunch cereal,fruit,etc. You may have milk as long as it's low fat without using so much heavy cream.I use a new one out by Hood that I found at Wal-Mart in 2% that is Atkins approved(a seal on it) and is low in fat and carbs.

3. I am info'd out! I was grateful that he gave the basics but I was easily able to figure out what I could have by looking at sample menus and glycemic index. The recipes are really good.

I'm so happy for your wife that she chose the SB and it is working for her.I started on Tues. and was down another # today which makes 5.5 since Tues. I hope you and your DW can both stop by this thread again.It gave me a chance to add a bit of info for those who are curious!
Linda
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoman
...The difference come after 2 wks. when you can add back in whole foods that Atkins does not allow(can we say beans...LOL)
Ooops .. actually .. beans and legumes are permitted during Phase 1, as they're low on the Glycemic Index.

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...s1-5350,00.html

Vegetables and legumes are allowed in "unlimited" quantities, as long as you tolerate them, ie they don't induce cravings and you're losing weight. So no technical need to count carb grams. Just focus on the Glycemic Index, choosing those foods which rate a GI of 50 or lower in the beginning. However, it probably wouldn't hurt to keep the overall carb counts in mind

When moving up to Phase 2, the "ongoing weight loss", you add back more lower-GI foods, but very gradually .. eg, one new thing a day, with fruit suggested as the first thing. In general, because they're higher on the Glycemic Index -- grain-based foods and starchy veggies (yams, squash, etc) are recommended to be used sparingly eg, whole wheat pasta once a week.

Also, do not try to go low fat. Dr Agatston states that you may use the allowed fats and oils liberally .. you're only to restrict specifically saturated fats, especially dairy. Whole eggs are unlimited as well, unless you have medical directions otherwise.

hth,

Doreen
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:34

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the correction,Doreen. That is just why we need a thread like this for those of us doing SB.I have only been doing this WOE for 4 days and I'm still learning.I am grateful for all tips and corrections.Hmmmm,I think I'll have some beans!...LOL

Also,I missed reminding about adding foods back in gradually so I'm glad you wrote that. I think I will go back and read the book again and not be in such a hurry this time.I also need to revisit the prevention.com site as there is great info there that I found before starting it but it will be more meaningful now.Oh my,always lots to do...LOL

Have a great weekend and hope to see more posts here soon...

Linda
PS.weight stayed the same today but I'm still happy with 5.5 in 4 days.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The major difference between Atkins is that it is in lower in sat/hydrogentated fats.

Actually, neither plan allows hydrogenated or transfats.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 165/155/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Morning, everyone. I'm new to the site/forum and I've fallen in love with it.
I feel that the SBD will work better for me because it is less restrictive and, in my humble opinion, healthier (I'm a huge advocate of reliable studies).
I like reading the feedback/comments --they're helpful reminders that I'm not alone on this personal mission.