Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 15:56

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress:
Cool south beach diet

do you know any information about the south beach diet I heard that it is similar to aitkins but with more carbohydrates allowed.Also having trouble getting low carb products in the shops do you know of any suppliers in Scotland
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 16:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Only the first couple of weeks are sort of low carb. After that, it's more like lower fat with emphasis on the "right fats". If you use the button above your post, and search for South AND Beach you'll get the threads that talk about this plan.

You could also search the Web to see if it has its own website.

As a joke, don't they sell meat, fish, poultry, eggs, vegetables and salad in Scotland? All of those are the BEST low carb foods around.
Truly, the more you can go without substituting for the snacks and carby stuff you used to eat, the more easily you will change to a real low carb way of eating.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 22:52

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Prevention.com

Here is a semi-official site for South Beach Diet. You can check the program, and check the Forum too.
http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...s1-5345,00.html
And here is the UK low-carb support group of this forum:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 22:42

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

It seems very restrictive. You have to cut carbs and fat. I personally am willing to trade fat for carbs any day on Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 23:35

Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

Where does everyone buy their lc foods? Grocery stores, specialty stores like GNC or some place I'm not thinking of?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 23:39

Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

where is everyone?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 08:26
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I buy all my food at the grocery store, eggs, meats, veggies, cheese etc. If I want some protein powder I buy it at the drug store that has a GNC section. If I want low carb tortillas or to try other specialty products I buy it on-line at Netrition.com

Beth
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 09:33

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

I buy most of what I eat right in the normal grocery store. Some stuff I buy at the health food stores like flax seed but even that you can get at the regular store now I think. Oddly enough if you want the frankenfood type stuff you have to go to the health food store too.....hmmmm.
Hey Blackbeard, why don't you add your home city to your profile and maybe someone local to you can suggest some places.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:57
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeg1
It seems very restrictive. You have to cut carbs and fat. I personally am willing to trade fat for carbs any day on Atkins.

The South Beach Diet is NOT low fat.....

It is low Saturated Fat and NO transfat.

It is HIGH fat as far as the healthy fats, olive, canola, omega-3, nuts, etc, (A breakfast would consist of a two-egg omelet with two slices of canadian bacon cooked in olive oil.)

It is also a moderate carb diet, low carb for their induction, then it moves on to moderate carbs, like the zone and other moderate carb plans.

And yes, you do eat on it, you eat when your hungry, just like Atkins.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 19:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyself
The South Beach Diet is NOT low fat.....

It is low Saturated Fat and NO transfat.

It is HIGH fat as far as the healthy fats, olive, canola, omega-3, nuts, etc, (A breakfast would consist of a two-egg omelet with two slices of canadian bacon cooked in olive oil.)

Agatston states at the beginning of his book "this is not a low fat diet" (right after he states "this is not a low carb diet") .. but he's quite vague when it comes to amount of fat a person is supposed to consume. Nowhere does he advocate the "liberal use" of recommended oils. He states portion sizes are to be "normal but no more".

The menus and recipes ARE low fat. Lots of egg-white and lowfat egg-substitute omelets cooked in a non-stick pan with cooking spray. Skinless chicken breast only, no dark meat -- chicken fat is over 45% monounsaturated, which Agatston states is good. So why is chicken fat not allowed?. Recipes provide 1 or 2 tsp oil per serving. One of the gourmet recipes has a mayonnaise sauce, which comes to 2 or 3 Tbsp per serving. There's a note accompanyiing, which cautions dieters to use the sauce sparingly, "not like soup" .. and recommends saving leftovers Other recipes call for low-fat mayonnaise.

So, one might assume that liberal use of olive or other allowed oil is just fine, but if the menu planner is the example of how the diet is to be put into practise, then it's definitely low fat. Also the menus are low in calories overall, averaging 1200 - 1300 per day during the weight loss phases.

As for his villification of saturated fats ... the book's description of what happens after a person consumes a meal high in saturated fat is based on a high carb diet where insulin levels are higher. Unfortunately, the author doesn't provide any references for further reading.

~~~~~~~

The only bad fats are processed fats and oils which contain harmful trans fatty acids. Naturally occuring fats and oils, including saturated fat .. are "good" and suitable for a healthy diet. IMO, it's important to include a VARIETY of fats in one's diet, and not just focus on one type or avoid another.

Mary Enig, PhD has researched and written extensively on the vital role of fats in our diet, including saturated fats. Folks might be interested to read the following series of articles by Enig, published at the Weston A. Price foundation website .. Know Your Fats.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 20:59
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Doreen

I appreciate your information, that is what is great about this forum, we can discuss many plans and our feelings of these plans.

I did not want this to end up in the low-carb war zone.

I have 5 books sitting here by my computer, and I am always referencing something in them, which can be bad if your following one plan, but I believe knowledge of all plans makes for ongoing low carbing more possible.

But just to respond to a few of your thoughts you posted:

----------but he's quite vague when it comes to amount of fat a person is supposed to consume. Nowhere does he advocate the "liberal use" of recommended oils. He states portion sizes are to be "normal but no more".
---------

I have the book here in front of me and he doesn't condemn the good fats, even in Atkins as you move on to maintenance you should lower your fat as you increase your carbs, (please correct me if I am wrong, as I am doing Atkins) He even states how they finally realize that fats are important in the diet, not like the old way of thinking of hi carb lo fat diets of years past. Also, even Atkins says to eat till full and "do not gorge yourself". (at least in my book here)

---------

-------Lots of egg-white and lowfat egg-substitute omelets

---------

True, but also plenty a real egg omelet breakfast's, he believes in the healthy egg and what it supplies the body, just not everyday, again they realize that eggs are good, not like the old way of thinking.

-----------As for his villification of saturated fats ... the book's description of what happens after a person consumes a meal high in saturated fat is based on a high carb diet where insulin levels are higher. Unfortunately, the author doesn't provide any references for further reading.
--------
I have The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program here too on my lap and just for 2 quotes, it states:

page 81: Replacing dietary saturated fat with unsaturated fat cut the risk for heart disease by almost half.

and page 134: Saturated fats have been shown to release high levels of insulin. Use unsaturated fats whenever possible. Butter or margarine, regular or low-fat subsitutes: Avoid or use very sparingly.

This book is written by Dr's Richard and Rachael Heller w/ Dr. Frederic Vagnini as you already know.

I know there are quite a few CAD books out there, i.e. Cad for addicts, life, kids, heart, but still Cad books, which has a place here on the forum.

From what I read in his book, (I guess I should have a scanner, to post quotes) here, but I still think he is saying that it is ok to have alot of good fats, again realizing that fats are important to the body, not like the old way of thinking in the past. Low carb for phase 1, (his induction,) and moderate carbs for ongoing. Again, correct me if I am wrong, but the zone is moderate carbs, other plans too that have spots here on the forum are moderate carbs, I would like it if people following those plans would post here if they think their plans are moderate. I am here to learn and discuss, I am in no way saying I am an expert, just trying to learn what I can and love to discuss it with people.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 14:47

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

It is possible to find blanket statements about the dangers of saturated fats, but there is little to no research showing these supposed dangers. As far as the statement that switching from saturated fat to unsaturated lowering heart disease by 1/2, this is at best a misstatement and at worst a blatant lie. There is nothing to prove this conclusion if the carbs are kept within reason. Since this is a low carb forum, I am assuming that this applies to all here.
BTW, if anyone assumes that canola oil is a safe substance comapred to olive oil, again, do the research. Nyah Levi