Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 00:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/156/125
BF:
Progress: 47%
Question How does this plan work?

Just out of curiousity How does this plan differ from atkins? Thanks guys. =-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:49

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Here is the link to the quick links on the side.

"Which low carb plan is right for me",
It gives a summary, but it is best to buy the book to get all the details.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html

HTH
Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 21:09

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan since 6/6/02
Stats: 269/209/126
BF:Unknown
Progress: 42%
Default Re: How does this plan work?

Hi Kitty5,

The main difference I've seen between PPP and Atkins is how much carbohydrates are ok...Atkins pretty much says to do away with Carbs altogether....PPP is a low carb approach.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 08:09
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Atkins pretty much says to do away with Carbs altogether
This is totally incorrect . Atkins induction includes 20 grams of carbs/day which are REQUIRED in the form of vegetables and salad. After induction 5 grams of carbohydrates are added per week or two until you reach your criticial carbohydrate level (the level at which you stop losing). For some people it's as high as 100g/day. For most it's in the 35-40/day range.

Quote:
PPP is a low carb approach.
Actually PPLP is considered a moderate carb plan. It allows 30g/carbs per day if you have 20% or more to lose and 55g/day if you have less than 20% to lose.

Other differences are that Atkins discourages caffeine and alcohol; Protein Power allows them. Both discourage the use of aspartame but do allow the use of sucralose.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 09:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

In addition to the above ... Protein Power requires a minimum amount of protein per day (and per meal), based on your lean body mass. Charts are provided in their books to help you calculate this.

As well, for the different levels of PP you must divide your daily carb rations relatively evenly between your meals and planned snacks. You do not eat carbs by themselves and you don't eat your entire carb budget at one meal while having no carbs at the other meals.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 13:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

...and it's lower in dairy fats than Atkins too.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 00:10
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 157/128/137 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 145%

I am diabetic and couldnt deal with the PP carb levels of 30-40g a day in Phase I. I upped mine to about 50g a day and was still losing weight even at that level. I have gradually backed my ECC down to 25-40g level per day and have been able to tolerate it.

I am still doing protein power but i had to start on the Phase II.

Gina
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power life plan
Stats: 194/189.6/135
BF:44.9
Progress: 7%
Default switch to PP

I am going to try to measure tomorrow and calaulate my protein and carb level and attempt PP for a few weeks. Have been struggling with Atkins for a month or so. I may still struggle, but it is worth a try to get back in the groove. Did pretty well a year or so ago on PP. Will attempt to chart progress in my journal
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 22:21

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

I have been feeling bored with my eating lately (have been on Atkins for 4 months now) and seem to want a change.

would anyone recommend doing PP instead? would this help? I am not really craving carbs other than chocolate here and there, and especially craving ice cream (I am holding myself back from indulging)...

I think I feel like I need something different for variety.. any comments or anyone else notice a diff when changing plans?

I have about 5 more pounds to go and really want to meet my goal and keep the weight off.
d
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 01:04
Forum Founder

BF:

I think boredom in the 4-6 month range is very common with low-carbers. The honeymoon is coming to an end. Because of the miracle of low-carbing, you're eating out of hunger and not for the temporary thrill of carbs. You're keeping your blood sugar and seratonin levels steady, and are no longer a carb slave.

Will switching plans bring back that "lovin' feeling"? Probably not. When it all boils down, PP is quite similar to Atkins in insulin control and you can eat on Atkins what you can eat on PP.

Maybe it's time to make it a little more interesting. Try new foods, try out some new recipes and live it up. It's only as boring as you want to make it.

I've been low-carbing for three years and went through that period too. I didn't even know what to eat for a while and lost interest in cooking. It struck me - because of the reasons above - that it was time to take the bull by the horns and make it interesting for myself again, with a vengence.

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 09:46

Hi Karen,
thanks for your reply! Yes, I was thinking about all this during my freewheel class at 6:15 this morning!

I guess I am in the OWL stage and am not really clear about what to add. I have read the book and know that as we add things back it should be done in a pyramid scheme, but can I add whatever I like as long as I keep track of carbs and be aware of high versus low glycemic....(ie, adding peanut butter when at the nuts and seeds stage)

In reading other posts I am wishing I could have the peanut butter cheese cake and some of the other recipes you have posted (thanks for all of those, by the way!!).

I think I am a bit stuck between induction and OWL, not knowing how to best make the transition. Guess I thought reading PP would give me a wider range of knowledge, of course , it wouldnt hurt anyway! Didnt expect any huge diff, just something to 'pep' up my mind.

Next time I come to Vancouver I definately want to check out your restaurant, its great to know you are doing excellent work over there! Thanks for all your great insights too!
d
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 10:35
Forum Founder

BF:

There's other things you can add too, like butternut squash, rutabaga, turnip, celery root, Brussels sprouts and beets every now and again.

A squash and cauliflower soup in the winter, sprinkled with bacon bits and cheese would be lovely! Mashed rutabaga and cauliflower drizzled with balsamic vinegar, beet puree with a pork chop, celery and celery root gratin...

I think it's better to add vegetable carbs than dairy or dessert carbs, not that I follow my own advice!

If you ever do come to Vancouver, PM me.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 13:31

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%
Default Ice Cream craving

Also, if you're craving ice cream you can make your own. There's a great recipe in Fran McCoullogh's(sp?) book. If you don't have an ice cream maker you can simply make whipped cream with your favorite flavoring and put a small bowl in the freezer for 20 minutes, it makes a nice frozen treat once in awhile.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 10:39

thanks for the suggestion, I have been looking at that cookbook, its got some good recipes!

I've been using frozen blackberries in my whipped cream, I picked them while I was living on one of the Gulf Islands... what a treat in the whipped cream, except I have to hold myself back from having more than 1/4 cup due to the carbs...