Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175.5/164.0/150.0 Female 5'11"
BF:34%/29%/24%
Progress: 45%
Question bad moods on PP? Looking to switch to avoid them!

Hiya gang,

I was doing the Atkins thing...pretty succesfully for a while, and I noticed, about 4 weeks into it, I was becoming a stark, raving lunatic! I was screaming at everyone and it finally came to a head when I realized I was chewing my boss out for something REALLY silly. I dumped out of Atkins in a hurry and started feeling better the next day.

Picked up the PP book and it made so much more sense to me. My question to all y'all is....has anyone experienced crabbiness on PP? I'm hoping that this is what's going to work for me cause, as I said, it makes SO much more sense to me.

I drink a gallon of water a day (not including other water based beverages), limit my alcohol to almost NIL (maybe a couple of beers once a month or so) and walk my husky 5 miles a day...so all the other elements are there.

Thanks for your input.

Spikester
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 09:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%
Default Cranky on Atkins

I know what you mean about being cranky! I have major mood swings,but I think mine has something to do with going off Hormone Replacement Therapy!

I'll assume you're a guy with a name like Spikester so I'm sure that's the not messing with you!

What's PP? Very interested!

BTW, I'm a professional dog trainer and I see you have a husky! There's a really great site you should visit to chat!

GreatPets.com http://ubb.greatpets.com/6/ubb.x

There are all different kind of forums there and lots of nice and knowledgeable folks! Check it out! My username there is Brandymax so I hope to see you there!!

Have a good one!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 11:42

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester
Hiya gang,

I was doing the Atkins thing...pretty succesfully for a while, and I noticed, about 4 weeks into it, I was becoming a stark, raving lunatic! I was screaming at everyone and it finally came to a head when I realized I was chewing my boss out for something REALLY silly. I dumped out of Atkins in a hurry and started feeling better the next day.

Picked up the PP book and it made so much more sense to me. My question to all y'all is....has anyone experienced crabbiness on PP? I'm hoping that this is what's going to work for me cause, as I said, it makes SO much more sense to me.

I drink a gallon of water a day (not including other water based beverages), limit my alcohol to almost NIL (maybe a couple of beers once a month or so) and walk my husky 5 miles a day...so all the other elements are there.

Thanks for your input.

Spikester

I changed from Atkins also and was having the same problems...on the 4th of July I started PP. Have not had any problems since....I think it was just too much fat for me and too limiting. Anyway, I do feel much much better. Go for it, especially if you prefer lower fat products and fruits. Today I noticed my thighs are smaller and not rubbing together as much!!!!!

TJ
Atkins 6/13/2003
PP 7/4/2003
211/203/205/145
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:32
Registered Member

JJ..

Not a guy...just a spikey haired female!!! (an old nickname!)

Thanks for the information on the dog website..I'll have to check it out.

I've considered the crabbiness as some sort of peri-menopausal thing, but since I've been REALLY happy since quitting Atkins I think it was all the excess fat and lack of fruit that was doing it. Oh..and PP is Protein Power..the name of the book I just read.

TJ...congrats on the lack of rubbing thighs! IT's the little things like that that matter the most to us gals, right? Please keep me informed of your progress, since we're nearly "PP Buddies"..you being July 4th and me July 7th! I gotta tell you, though...I'm hungry right now. Just gonna keep thinking of how much better I"m going to feel on Saturday when I have to be out in the 95 degree heat all day and most of the night for a concert at a local fair!!!

Have a great week, both of you and thanks for the posts to my question!

Spikester
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Spikester!

If I would have read your post sooner, I would have just suggested upping your carb level. The no-fruit induction thing should only last two weeks. Protein Power is virtually identical to Atkins after induction. I also would have suggested giving it more time. Carbs have a huge affect on mood, and it takes more than a few weeks for many people to start feeling normal after carb withdrawal. Y'know how they say that anti-depressants can take a month or two to start working? I figure it's kind of like that. I hope you didn't ditch Atkins cold turkey and go carby again: you could be setting yourself up for another round of withdrawal.

I'm a Protein Power gal myself, but beware of a few mind-traps that a lot of people have a hard time getting around: there is absolutely nothing wrong with "all that fat" on Atkins. You only need enough to keep you satisfied. Also, there's no reason to think that we "need" sugary fruit. Even on induction, one eats plenty of "fruit": green peppers, tomatoes, avacadoes, cucumbers, zucchini... yes, these are fruit. We only call them "vegetables" because they aren't sweet. They pack just as much of a nutritional punch as sugary fruit, without the sugar! Sugar is the only difference.

Points to ponder. Have a good week!

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 08:09.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 143/147/127 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi Spikester!

If I would have read your post sooner, I would have just suggested upping your carb level. The no-fruit induction thing should only last two weeks. Protein Power is virtually identical to Atkins after induction. I also would have suggested giving it more time. Carbs have a huge affect on mood, and it takes more than a few weeks for many people to start feeling normal after carb withdrawal. Y'know how they say that anti-depressants can take a month or two to start working? I figure it's kind of like that. I hope you didn't ditch Atkins cold turkey and go carby again: you could be setting yourself up for another round of withdrawal.

I'm a Protein Power gal myself, but beware of a few mind-traps that a lot of people have a hard time getting around: there is absolutely nothing wrong with "all that fat" on Atkins. You only need enough to keep you satisfied. Also, there's no reason to think that we "need" sugary fruit. Even on induction, one eats plenty of "fruit": green peppers, tomatoes, avacadoes, cucumbers, zucchini... yes, these are fruit. We only call them "vegetables" because they aren't sweet. They pack just as much of a nutritional punch as sugary fruit, without the sugar! Sugar is the only difference.

Points to ponder. Have a good week!

what you said sounds good. I've been on atkins for about two months on and off and ive gained 4 pounds i think all the fat is to much for me,i was thinking of trying pp or carbohydrate addict diet.help
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Kristine,

Thanks for the support post! Since starting PP July 7th I've managed to drop the weight I'd gained when jumping off of Atkins..in fact, I can take another pound off my current weight! YAHOO! And I don't feel as crabby. It's hard, though, getting as many carbs in as I should, but OH so easy to eat all that protein! I don't worry about the fat, now...since it seems to help things along a bit. And the clothing is fitting SO much better. I'm glad I picked up the Protein Power book!!

Spikester
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:18

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Spikester - So glad the plan is working for you ! I'm sure the good results will continue! I love the protein too - I never have a problem getting my minimum amount! Keep up the good work .
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:34
Registered Member

Shadow 01,

Wow, that's my dog's name!!

Is it worth getting the PPLP book? Or is it just an extrapilation of the original PP book? I'm in the mood for some good recipes to start trying out...and since my cosmetic surgeon told me I am only allowed to lose another 10 pounds instead of the 16 I really want to get rid of I think I might be heading towards phase two really soon. (isn't it great to have a doctor that tells you the truth now and then) Wanna keep this tummy tuck looking good!

Spikester
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 16:25

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Spikester - Actually I used the name Shadow in honor of my "best friend". Since the name "Shadow" was taken when I registered here (not sure why, I've never seen it used), I added the year 01 - the year I had to have him put down . Anyway - he lives on in my heart .

Now, as to the book - I started with PPLP but wanted the formulas for minimum protein, LBM, etc that were given in the original PP so then I got that book. I believe I've read (by someone else explaining the difference in the books) that PP is more of a "how-to lose weight" book whereas PPLP is more scientific explanation. I know they expanded on topics in PPLP (such as cholesterol) that they didn't have the room or time to expand on in PP. They also altered some stances that they had taken in PP (on flax oil and sweeteners). I believe (don't quote me - it's been a while since I read both books) the exercise they recommend is different in the two books. As to the recipes...I don't think I've tried any from those two (I'm more a plain meat and salad kinda gal) but I've heard there are good ones in there.

Must be very encouraging to know your goal is a 10# loss instead of 16#! That's very exciting . This is one time it just might be nice to follow doctor's orders !
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 19:56

Plan: low carb - PP and my own
Stats: 222/209/162 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi, Spikester,
Good job on your loss so far and keep up the good work. I, too, prefer the PP approach...it's all about low carbs but Atkins journals sound like they're hardly eating anything. Using PP, you don't have to restrict yourself so much, and there's not so many gimicky items to purchase to eat...I hear about Atkins bars and shakes...you certainly can get plenty to eat in PP and still be losing weight.

It's interesting...I feel well. I feel kind of perky, in fact, since not eating sugars and starches. Yet on any other diet I've ever tried, I have been starving and HAD TO eat between those restrictive mini-meals. A salad, chicken breast, and vegetable really stuff me, yet if I was eating spaghetti or (heaven forbid!) fetuccini alfredo, I would eat every bite and want more.

Fortunately, I haven't felt grumpy on PP. thank goodness my friend (ex-husband, actually) told me how he had dropped his excess weight through Drs. Eades suggestions.

I think Spikester is a cute monicker for a girl.
Kathie
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:47

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hey Spike...glad that things are going wellf or you...it does get better and sort of becomes second nature... It is absolutely amazing to me that I am not craving carbs....prior to this I was a huge sweet eater.... I can even watch my daughter consume cheesecake, pizza, and other junk foods and not feel deprived... It's quite interesting... There are days, however, that I get bored with my routine eating habits and try to switch up with a recipe from the boards...that helps me a lot... I'm very very glad that I switched to PP...I can see eating like this for life....