Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 23:57
Registered Member

Plan: Protien Power/General LC
Stats: 220/216/140 Female 68"
BF:31%
Progress: 5%
Default Argh!

I can't get the scale to budge!!!

This is driving me crazy! I've gone 3 weeks without cheating, per se... but today I broke down and had half a piece of white bread. Only half, though. I wouldn't do that to myself.

Can you guys take a look at my fitday and tell me where I'm going wrong?!?!

I'm exercising at least 3 times a week - that's all I can bring myself to do lately. I've been really tired.

This is driving me crazy. I've only lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks! COME ON! Something must be wrong with me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 08:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a feeling it's the Atkins bars. They're well-known stallers. They're made to be for "emergencies" and for people in maintenance, not a staple for weight loss. I'd try to stick with real food only and see if that makes a difference...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 08:21

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

ladykatya - I know you don't want to hear this, but "slow and steady wins the race" ! A pound a week is nothing to sneeze at! You don't want the weight to plummet off - there's too much a risk of losing muscle that way . And studies show that the slower it comes off, the longer it stay off. But a few other things I noticed (I only looked over 2 days, though, due to lack of time this morning):
1. Sugar alcohols stall some people. You may be one of them. You could try to go a couple of weeks without having any and see if this helps you.
2. Where are your vegetables? Vegetables are very important because of nutrients and fiber. Some have been able to increase their weight-loss by adding more fresh vegetables to their daily intake.
3. Are you measuring? You may find that while the scale isn't budging much, that you are losing inches and therefore fat. Measuring is a far more accurate standard to use to look at progress than the scale is.
4. Are you getting plenty of water in?
5. If you're really tired, are you sure you're getting enough potassium in?
6. Are you meeting your minimum daily intake?

I'm sure others will think of some advice for you but hopefully this is a start . Hang in there - at least you're losing and not stagnating altogether. I know it's frustrating, but this WILL work for you - it just might take some "tweaking". Have a wonderful day !
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:25
Registered Member

I had a feeling it was those dang atkins bars. Damn my co-worker for letting me try one!

Vegies are hard for me... I'm not a big fan of 'em... I'm trying, really! I tried making the mock mashed potatoes with cauliflower, but I can't just get it down! I ate about 1/2 a cup and had to stop because I was gagging... I LOVE green beans, cucumbers, beets, celery, but that's really it... so I'm struggling to eat enough veggies, but I'll try harder!

I am losing inches, so I really shouldn't complain, right? It would just be SO nice to see that scale budge AND to see my percentages go down!

As for water, I don't add it to my fitday, but I drink about 4 leters a day. Is that enough?

I'm also taking a multivitamin once a day. Should I up it to twice?

I'm trying SO hard to do this! I just feel like I'm not doing as well as I should! I know I should just be happy with my 3 lbs and go on with my life, but it's really bogging me down!

Thanks for all of your advice girls. I'll try to keep my dang atkins bars away from me... they are SO good... and I don't seem to get any ill effects from them... I'll have to stick to my jello!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:20

BF:

ladykatya - Most people find that if the scales move, the inches don't or vice versa. For some reason, they don't seem to happen at the same time . My problem is the opposite - I've gotten the scales below my original goal, but have been unable to budge the waist measurement . Therefore, my ab/hip ratio has actually gotten worse as I've lost weight. Hopefully time will help there - a lot of the game is having patience .

Congratulations on the inches lost ! That is a great success, even if it's not the best of both worlds .

That is a pretty limited list of vegetables... Maybe you could branch out and experiment with others? Is there no type of lettuce you like or other "salad" veggies like tomatoes? Maybe with a good dressing you could get some salad eaten. Or a vegetable you wouldn't mind with a good sauce. Searching the recipe forum may help you come up with ideas. I know what you mean - I was never taken with the mock mashed potatoes myself - and I love cauliflower!

This poor brain doesn't calculate liters . I think one of the rules of thumb is 1/2 oz for every body pound.

I don't know if an extra multivitamin would help or not. It may, depending on what kind you take, give you too much of some things. I think it would be better to just supplement with potassium by itself. The Eadeses also recommend magnesium and a few others to be taken in addition to a mulitvitamin.

I know it's hard when you're trying and don't seem to be getting where you need to be!!! But hang in there! At the very least, you're improving your health with this WOE - and that is always a good thing!

I think what you should do first (my opinion, only ) is give up the Atkins bar for a couple of weeks and see if there's not some change. Yes, I know that's a tall order - I tried one a couple of weeks ago and wish I'd hadn't . They could quickly become addictive! Since I'm at goal weight, I allow myself one a week - but no more and not even every week. They really are frankenfood and it's better - for both of us - to eat natural foods whenever possible . And, who knows, maybe after a couple weeks of not eating them, you won't even want them anymore - or the scales will budge and you'll decide they're just not worth it . If giving up the bars doesn't help (but I think it will), then it's time to re-evaluate and try something else.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:03
Registered Member

Shadow -

Thank you SO much for your post! I really needed that added encouragement. I just feel like I'm doing ALMOST everything right... and it just isn't working it's magic yet!

4 liters = a gallon, I think... I HOPE that's enough!

I do like lettuce - very much actually. I've been eating a lot of salad... just not lately, cause I don't have all the fixins that I like. My cheese and meat are out of stock right now! Gotta get to that grocery store!

Thanks again for taking time to post to me! It's SO supportive around here!

Melissa
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 08:00

BF:

Melissa - The pleasure is all mine ! I find it a great source of encouragement for myself to interact with other low-carbers!

A gallon should do it, I would think !

Salads are great for getting veggies in - but like you, I want certain things and if I don't have them ... My salads must have looseleaf, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, a little toasted wheat bran (yes I know, this isn't necessarily good for you ) and lots of homemade dressing !

Keep in mind - you're doing MOST things right!!! With a tweak here or there - you'll be blazing your way to the "thinnish" line in no time at all ! Hang in there - you're doing great!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%

I just had a thought....
Have you started any new medications lately?
That can screw things up too, I think....Maybe you should rule that out too if you can and if you can't you could look into different meds instead
Just a thought I had while reading this!

I'm with you .... if the scale doesn't move it is discouraging! But how do your clothes feel? Looser?
I always like that part. Help if that is happening even if the scale isn't moving! Keep up the work... you have done so well! Don't give up yet!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:56
Registered Member

Bess -

Great idea about the meds. Unfortuanately, that's not the case for me! I'm med free! YAY!

I'm hoping it's those dang sugar alcohols... so I'm staying away from them.

Went to the grocery store today and got all of my salad fixins... so I'm going to be getting more veggies... My fingers are crossed that this is the week!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 03:14
Registered Member

Well, I may have found my culprit!

TOM showed up today. About 5 days early! Not that I'm complaining... hopefully I'll get a woosh after this!

YAY!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 09:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykatya
I'm hoping it's those dang sugar alcohols... so I'm staying away from them.

Went to the grocery store today and got all of my salad fixins... so I'm going to be getting more veggies... My fingers are crossed that this is the week!

- Yeah, Melissa!!! That's the spirit !!! I'm sure TOM was complicating things, too. I think with your veggies and abstaining from SA - plus getting past TOM - you may have very, very pleasing and surprising results !

Keep us posted on how you're doing !
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:00

BF:

Melissa - Just wondering how you're doing! Hope all is well and the scale has moved for you!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 04:36
Registered Member

Well, I was naughty all weekend. Didn't have a TON of carbs, but had enough. Ate a LOT of bread... ugh!

I only gained 1 lb by the scale though... that makes me feel better.

Today I RAN for the first time since I was about 18. It felt nice!

I'm back on track now. Hopefully the weight will start falling off...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:12

BF:

Melissa - I'm sure it's all going to work out for you ! Sounds like you're doing great! We all slip and slide - the biggest thing is getting back on track, which you've done ! Hang in there !