Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Lightbulb Balance Log Software

I purchased some software for nutrional information that you might be interested in. It's called Balance Log and is available at Sam's Club in the pharmacy. You find out your RMR (resting metabolism rate), either using MedGem or by estimating., and answer questions regarding your age, height, weight, lifestyle and how much you would like to lose by what date. Then you log food items, water, excercise daily. It has reports showing you nutrional information: calories used, protein, fats, carbs and vitamins. You can log in a food and if it puts you over on your carbs or calories, you can delete it and find a replacement. You can also take any food item that displays nutrional information on the package and add it to the database. The information is put into the database in the same order it is placed on labels.
Anyway, I thought I would share this for anyone who might be interested. It's how I found out that even though I was way under in calories, I was not losing weight and my carbs were at 187%., I decided then and there to look into Atkins and here I am.
I hope this helps lots and lots of people out there. There is an equation at the Mayo Clinic site for determing your resting metabolic rate (how many calories you burn at rest)., so if you want you can see where you are.
Good luck!
Lillian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 01:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lillian, this sounds awfully like www.fitday.com which is totally free...

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:47
Registered Member

Default Balance Log

Hey, I went to Fitday.com and you're right, it is free. It's not bad.
I think I like Balance Log a little better it's a little easier on the eyes overall and easier to add food, but for free I'm telling all my friends! Thank you.

#4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 14:08

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Wow that Balance Log costs a lot! I really wouldn't mind getting a program that I can access without internet connection because my provider is so unreliable, but I'll wait until I find something a little more affordable!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 23:14
Registered Member

Thumbs up Balance Log

Yep! I paid $70.00 for BalanceLog, but it is simple to use. In particular I like to Reports. Reports can show you how much of your daily "allowance" for each nutrient you've used at any given point of the day. For example: After you log in your breakfast, it shows you with an easy to read graph of how much of your daily allowance you have used for calories, fats, carbs, protein and vitamins, 10%, 50% etc. So when you enter lunch you can then see how much you've used for breakfast and lunch. You can also change the setting to show the nutrients for just one meal. It helps you find where the carbs or calories are coming from. When dinner comes along, if you are a little high on calories or carbs you can adjust your dinner to suit you. I also bought Weight by date pro and it is very cumbersome compared to BalanceLog. Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience with the program.
If you do decide on it, the latest verion is 2.0. Again, www.fitday.com for free is a bargain., but I'll stick with BalanceLog.
Lil