Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-11, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/225.6/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Pains when exercising?

For my work I do a LOT of walking...I work in a dogs home and each one needs to go out for a walk at least once a day.
I was out extra long today with each dog....10 altogether. I thought when I lost weight I wouldn't be feeling as sore and the walking would get easier.
But I must have walked 5-6 miles between 9am and 11am no breaks just in and out with the dogs.
I am home half day (yay) and just the car drive home I am almost to sore to even move. Mainly hips knees and ankles.....I love the walking and while I do it I am not sore...but I know I am now going to to very sore for the next couple of days.

How can I get my exercise in if losing weight is not helping the obvious pressure my joints have to endure.
Also about an hour after exercise I am frozen from the inside out....heat is on and I still can't get warm...any ideas....
Like I say I love to walk with the dogs etc...but with the cold and aches and pains I rarely try to do much.

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-11, 17:54

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Losing weight is not the same as being conditioned. I have run ten mile races and half mararthons at your weight with no pain because I was conditioned to it. Keep it up and it will get easier. Ice is wonderful.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 15:32

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I would have to agree with jschwab.

I used to be 145 pounds (I'm 5'9) and I tried to get back into running and I was very sore the next day from just a little bit of it.

I *hate* pain and extreme soreness, so this time I am taking things VERY SLOWLY. I'm not even thinking about doing anything except 2 miles of walking, low impact workouts, or yoga until at least 6 weeks into my workouts.

If you go slow, you'll be much more motivated to work up to longer and more intense workouts.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 18:10

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If I was experiencing those symptoms I would get my gait checked to make sure there are no issues like that. In our area the people for that are sports orthopedists, or a chiropractor, or a physical therapist, or a local gym that does rehab (or a trainer experienced in walking). What if it is as simple as shoes or mechanics?

I think it can depend on how and where you carry your extra weight. And that frozen feeling - that speaks to me of problems with using fat for energy or something (thyroid)?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 19:59
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

It will just take time. I am always hurting when I work out because I am so out of shape. It takes me a long time to adjust to temperature changes. Especially getting warm after being out in the cold. Make sure that you are properly/warmly dressed when outside, and give yourself time to adjust to the indoors when you return before shedding all layers of clothes. It takes time and patience. Good luck with it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-11, 07:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 153/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Glucosamine chondroitin is a wonderful supplement for joints, and I take it every day. With the walking you're doing, you'll be sore for a while but it should go away once your body adjusts. Do you walk this far every day for this job? If you do the 5-6 miles only once every great while, you will need to keep your body in shape other ways in between. Otherwise the pain will be there every time.

In cold weather, dress in layers, and remove them or add them as needed. I work outside too, and if you let yourself get soaked from sweat, then you'll be miserable when you slow down and cool off. The moisture will suck the heat right out of you. The guy from the "Survivorman" TV show said it well: "you sweat, you die". Obviously this is for serious winter/subzero survival situations, but the message is still applicable. I wear polyester, moisture-wicking underwear, and wool-blend socks.