Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/138/105 Female 5ft 1 & 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Couch to 5k!!!

Hi Everyone!
I just started couch to 5k training!! today was W1D1.. it was pretty hard i have to admit.. its not really warm outside and found it hard to breath once i started jogging but i got threw it!!!!!
tomorrow i'll walk and hopfully saturday i'll let know you how my W1D2 goes!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 23:30

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Congratulations on taking that first step! It's the hardest one you will ever take with running. Are you signed up for a 5K? or are you just going to do the training?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 08:57
Registered Member

BF:

I am starting the training first and then looking for a 5k to run.. I find it really hard to breath running outdoors.. so well see how this goes.. i dont want to pay for a 5k race and then not be able to run outside LOL Do you jog at all?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 13:55

BF:

I run - it's my main hobby. I started in 2007 in December and was able to run a 5K without walking after 3 weeks on New Year's Eve. I was lucky - I guess I had more of an aerobic base than I thought. I am slow and was slower then. It might help you to breathe better if you slow down a bit. I've done 2 10 mile races, 2 half-marathons and a bunch of 5K and 5 mile races. It takes a while but once you start improving, it goes quick.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 11:16
Registered Member

BF:

Wow! that is amazing! Congrats! i hope one day i can get there!! right now im trying to convince myself to get out side.. but its raining/ cold and the wind is blowing 40-50km/hr lol this is not going to be my favorite run! lol wish me luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 22:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulie21
Wow! that is amazing! Congrats! i hope one day i can get there!! right now im trying to convince myself to get out side.. but its raining/ cold and the wind is blowing 40-50km/hr lol this is not going to be my favorite run! lol wish me luck!

It was like that here today and I did not run and I ran in the blizzard earlier this year. Cold rain is not pleasant! With wind it can be dangerous, so be careful.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

Well i did it and got threw it much easier then i had imagined. i tryed to slow my jog pace down since my first run i found i was really out of breath. it seemed to help! i felt sooo great that i did it on such a crapy day!!! then i couldnt figure out din din and cheated on my LC.. one day at a time i guess! but i ran!!! yahh!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 12:21

BF:

That's great to hear!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

I just started my own modified version of C25K this month too! I tried W1D1 and W1D2 but the walking time isn't long enough for me to recover to be able to run again. Now I'm doing 3 min walk, 1 min jog until I can gradually build up enough endurance to do 90 seconds walk, 60 seconds run (as in W1D1). I signed up and paid for my first 5K ever, it' son May 1st, so a lil over 6 weeks from now!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-10, 21:55

BF:

Yay, Froggiebro!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 06:44
Registered Member

BF:

Froggiebro, on your next jog try and slow it down a bit maybe.. my first run with the couch to 5k i found i was joggin to fast.. once i slowed it down.. barely a jog really.. i found it much easier to do! let me know how your next run goes! way to go!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-10, 20:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/214/165 Female 5'6 in
BF:
Progress: 2%

Good job starting C25K, it's kinda inspirational. I've been thinking of restarting it too. On the breath hurting thing, I read an article in Fitness magazine(I do love to read about exercise, lol) and in the article, they mention how much easier it is to jog with proper form and breathing. There was something about not holdi9ng your arms too stiffly. If you breathe in and out on the right counts, you control your breathing and it really is easier. Give it a shot, it might have been 3 counts in and 3 counts out and your foot is supposed to hit the pavement at some point in the count.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-10, 13:07

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I don't run as much now, but back when I used to run I got some pretty good advice from more experienced runners.

And that was when running, you should be able to comfortably breathe AND carry on a small conversation with no issues. If you are gasping so much that you can't really speak a couple sentences, you need to back off the pace.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 06:49
Registered Member

BF:

i did W3D1 yesterday!!! yaaaaa!!!! My breathing was not so great! i was gasping by the end of it but it was Dark, windy and freezing outside.. not freezing temps but close enough for me! lol i have a bit of asthma so any cold temps make it harder to breath.. but i got threw it and some.. i added my own extra 1 min run at the end as it just seemed kinda shorter then weeks 1 and 2 for some reason..?? but so far so good! im not even sore today! i think i might try and run again tonight! thanks for all the tips guys! its really helping at staying motivated!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 06:57

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 183/178/161 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi all, I've just started running - well crawling actually but excuse my ignorance...whats involved W1D1 and W1D2 etc?