Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Question Abs

OK, I realize that abdominals won't get that 6 pack look unless your body fat percentage is fairly low, but is it still helpful to exercise them even though you can't see them? I'm probably just looking for a way to avoid it all , I just did one of those 8 minute ab tapes and it was quite a humbling experience!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Definitely worth doing them

I certainly have a little too much fat to see my abdominals but after a 3 week exercise regime I'm fitting into jeans that are much smaller - and I haven't lost that much weight - so something is working.

I know what you mean about the humbling experience. The book said 3 sets of 15 reps etc. I could manage about 2 (reps that is not sets). But its getting better.

Good Luck

Jon
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 13:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Abs

Quote:
Originally posted by Atriana
OK, I realize that abdominals won't get that 6 pack look unless your body fat percentage is fairly low, but is it still helpful to exercise them even though you can't see them? I'm probably just looking for a way to avoid it all , I just did one of those 8 minute ab tapes and it was quite a humbling experience!

You bet its worth it. Strong abs help prevent injury to your back; more muscle = more calories burned, higher metabolsim; being humbled can be good for you Ok that last one is stretching, I'll admit.

Nat

P.S. won't it be nice to have them when you are in a position to have them actually be seen?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 14:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

You bet - when I can finally see them I am going to be one of those fit middle aged women who run around wearing short shirts and sporting a belly button ring!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 19:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Atriana
You bet - when I can finally see them I am going to be one of those fit middle aged women who run around wearing short shirts and sporting a belly button ring!

Hey, "That's a good thing" to quote Martha.... enjoy every moment of it, you earned it!

N
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Abs?

I'm worried about getting some definition in my major muscle groups first . At my point I still believe that my abs are much like the holy grail . . . reported to exist yet never seen.

GRIN

Mike
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/112
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Definitely worth doing them

Quote:
Originally posted by jonrees
I know what you mean about the humbling experience. The book said 3 sets of 15 reps etc. I could manage about 2 (reps that is not sets). But its getting better.
Thanks for sharing that, Jon, I relate!

I was having a bear of a time with incline sit-ups last week, so for the first few days I turned around and did them, making that incline work with me. I don't care if it was cheating—my mind has now accepted I can do sit-ups and I don't use the incline anymore. Granted, I don't use it either way, but...

If I had a trainer she'd smack me daily. I figure I broke the rules to get here, and I can break the rules to get back.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 18:08

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Default If you are still wondering abotu the effects of situps...

I have also wondered why I should build up my stomach muscles even though I have a huge layer of fat covering them but there are some great side effects:

As Nat said, it is awesome for your back, but it also does this:
I'm not sire if you have this problem, but my mom calls it a "butt in the front" (the area below the belly button, where your stomach kinds of bubbles out, I think this mainly effects women that have had children, however I have one and I have no children )...well if you do exercises strengthening that area (lower-abdominals), it pulls the "butt in the front" in. This also makes your posture look much better too
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 05:55

BF:
Default sit ups

the advice I got from a trainer was to ditch the situps, they can be hard on the back and don't work the abs all that well. Do crunches instead, much easier and they isolate the abs so you get a good workout. Reverse crunches work the lower abs and are a very small movement. I have a great link on my computer at home to some examples if you're interested.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 09:58

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins

I meant crunches, I haven't done a situp in atleast 7 years.