Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 22:13

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Left over baby pouch!!

O.k so here's the deal..3 babies later and at age 42..is it possible to lose my "baby pouch"?
..i must confess its not too bad, but of course there is always room for improvement, and i would like this area to be really firm. I would love to get a belly button piercing at that stage.
Any ideas for exercises that will hit that specific spot would be great.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 23:17

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

It will depend on if it is fat or lack of muscle. If it's muscle tone that is needed leg lifts and lower ab work will help you hold this area in. If it's fat then it's going to be a matter of reducing overall bf.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 02:43

BF:
Talking lack of muscle

well at least I think thats what it is!! Got any specific exercises in mind?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 09:57

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I've had 3 kids also, the first by c-section. I have the "female pouch" - even when I weighed as low as 120 lbs. I am short-torsoed, so that doesn't help any either. ((( It's a hoot when the waistline of regular cut jeans comes up over the bottom of my rib cage - and "low rise" jeans still come over my waistline. In the 70's I could wear hip-hugger pants and a midriff blouse and they would meet in the middle instead of leaving a gap.)))
Anyway, I've always worked my lower abs and don't have any trouble holding in my tummy, but it's the last place on my body that fat will remain, and I never seem to be able to get it to a point where I would wear a "Wicked Weasel" thong. I don't like holes being poked in my body, so a bellybutton ring isn't an option for me. But I would like a tummy that looks good bare.

I guess I'll have to save my money for the plastic surgeon some day.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 11:44

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I still have a ways to go before this becomes an issue for me, but I'm sure it will be because of having the c-section. I've read that having a c-section, which cuts through the muscle, can impact the muscles ability to develop. I'm assuming then that the only way to get the belly as flat as possible is in the kitchen. Get the body fat down low. If you build up your ab now, it will become bigger and stronger, but with the fat overtop of it, the pouch might appear to be bigger. So, I'd focus on reducing the BF first, then build the muscle.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 13:05

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Do Pilates. If you do a search there's been about 100 threads about the subject, so I won't elaborate on it here.

Jen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Diemde, don't worry about the "appearing bigger" thing. I've never known this to happen on anybody for abs, male OR female.

The muscle won't get very big, especially on a woman. Work your abs. As the fat drops, your muscles will be flat and strong. Plus, strong abs are necessary for other movements, such as squats. The stronger your core is, the better your squat weight will come along.

I've never tried Pilates, but I've been meaning to. As I understand it, Pilates really focuses on core work, so this is probably a GREAT way to get the pooch under control while conditioning the whole core area.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 14:39

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Oh gee whiz... just when I think I'm starting to understand all of this, I learn that I still have a lot to learn. Thanks Built.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 15:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Diemde, don't worry about the "appearing bigger" thing. I've never known this to happen on anybody for abs, male OR female.

I remember at one point hearing that you could "appear bigger" in the abs, but it was only by using those ab machines, specifically the obliques. Is this not true? Sounds like it isn't true. And you're right built, I don't know anyone that this has happend on either.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 15:25
Registered Member

BF:

Oh, yes, you're right mle - if you work your obliques too much, you'll make your waist a little wider. Stonger, but wider.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 21:52

BF:

Thanks for all your feedback guys..the good news is that i actually ordered the windsor pilates dvds a week ago and am waiting for them to arrive..so i will strive to get that flat, firm look and then summon up the courage for a piercing!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 00:28
Registered Member

BF:

Nothing like a goal to motivate you.

Besides, I found once I had my bellybutton pierced, it reminded me to do my abs.

Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 01:41

BF:

I've seen pictures of your fabulously flat tum, Built..THAT IS THE PERFECTION I STRIVE TOWARDS! did it hurt getting the piercing?!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 04:21

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
well at least I think thats what it is!! Got any specific exercises in mind?

Two words: Winsor Pilates. I am a former dancer and I used to do artistic rollerblading and I've done a number of ab exercises, but I found Winsor Pilates to be the best! It gives results fast and results not only include a flat tummy, but also a stronger back, which translates in better posture and better performance in general, at the gym and ouside of it (also in everyday tasks).

Highly recommended!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 08:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
I've seen pictures of your fabulously flat tum, Built..THAT IS THE PERFECTION I STRIVE TOWARDS! did it hurt getting the piercing?!!

THANK you!

The piercing wasn't too bad, actually. I mean, it's a thick needle going through flesh, so yes, it hurts, but it's not that big of a deal, and I'm a bit of a pussy with regard to pain. I wouldn't let it freak you out.

The big deal with belly button piercings is the aftercare - they can take a while to heal.

My suggestions:

1. get a bent barbell, NOT a ring. Less movement, so it heals faster.

2. Leave it alone.

The only time I touched it was in the shower, with soapy fingers. I didn't do the tea tree oil or epsom salts or ANYTHING. Just leave it alone and let your body heal it. NEVER touch it except in the shower with soap and water. I even put a dry face cloth over the piercing when we made love to keep sweat out of it for a few weeks. You can laugh if you like, but mine NEVER got infected, and healed perfectly in just a few months. I've heard of folks fighting infections in belly button piercings for over a year.

Oh, and a cool trick for tummies: Tighten it up whenever you think of it, all day. This helps, believe it or not. I had a ballet instructor tell me to do this when I was a kid, so I did it.