Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you're not lifting really heavy yet, don't worry so much about the whey - or only have a small portion. Just make sure you keep your fats high in the next meal.

I don't much care for Atkins shakes - too expensive, too high in fat. If I want to fatty up a whey shake, I just throw in heavy cream or the top part of a can of coconut milk.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:43
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by legwarmers

an exception is muscle milk and evopro - they have lots of MCTs in them.
Still not good supps for Post Workout regardless of MCTs, good for before, but still not immediately after.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:13

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
Still not good supps for Post Workout regardless of MCTs, good for before, but still not immediately after.

my guru begs to differ.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:22
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Oh well, that's what makes the world interesting, different opinions MCTs are wonderful, and make for very quick energy, but there is still fat in those supps and the fat still makes the absorbtion of the protein slow down which you do not want immediately after a workout.

Last edited by Chipperoo : Thu, May-27-04 at 12:44.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:40
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Here's a PWO nutrition question...... I slam back my whey & l-glutamine straight after workout, and am concious of then eating a proper meal within an hour, but I know about the whey in water raising insulin levels, so not wanting fat too soon after the whey... the question is how long do you have to wait?

I've been finding myself putting off my meal towards an hour to try and minimise any insulin spike/ fat scenario, which means sometimes I forget to eat within the hour and I find sometimes it's 1 1/2 or 2 hours.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:43

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

try finding a shake with some casein - studies are apparently starting to show that casein is more anabolic than whey.

for my meal... i usually wait 1-1.5 hrs... but if i happen to get hungry i'll eat sooner.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 19:18

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

I guess I should have read this thread before asking all of my beginner questions over in the CKD forum. Doh!
  #98   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 15:03

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a good read:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/maga...opportunity.htm

I use 46 gm of Whey Concentrate, Optimum Nutrition (hey,it's cheap!) and about 24 gm of dextrose from Smarties. However, I am gonna change to 11gm dextrose/11gm maltodextrin as soon as my next shipment gets here. Just can't seem to get myself to consume as many carbs as they recommend, but then again, I don't eat as many carbs as they do either. I also take 5 to 10 gm of glutamine post as well. I also take Vitamin C 500mg and B complex (b-50) post workout as well.

Has all of it really helped me? Beats the heck out of me, but sure doesn't hurt (so I think!)