Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-14, 17:38

Plan: Keto
Stats: 177/167/158 Female 5'5
BF:Too high :)
Progress: 53%
Default Accuracy and results with keto stix

I'm on day 3 of very strict Atkins 72 induction and today I picked up keto test strips at the pharmacy...the last time I tried these was on a half a*$ version of the new Atkins a year or so ago and they never showed anything.....today I've dank about 24oz of water an half a diet Snapple and its showing deep purple 160ml or mg whatever they are...is this a good indication what do you guys think? What's been your experience?

Last edited by Redirish86 : Wed, Jan-22-14 at 21:50. Reason: left out word
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-14, 05:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/206.4/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Sounds as though you are indeed in ketosis. I have read that if it the keto-stix reads the darkest shades it is an indicator of dehydration; however, I am not sure if this is true. For myself, I have noticed I lose the most when in the medium color range.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-14, 05:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If you're turning the sticks purple, this always means you're in ketosis. You can get a false negative reading, but a false positive is unlikely.

Various experts say that once you're ketone adapted, you may spill less ketones in the urine, but still be in ketosis. This might be true, but the strips still seem to be a reliable indicator for some people.

I like this from the Atkin's 72 book;

Quote:
How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the ketostix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.

I've mislaid my copy of the book, this is from the Atkins '72 support thread. I like it because it states pretty clearly that what we're calling "nutritional ketosis" these days really is the original Atkins diet.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-14, 10:40

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redirish86
...today I've dank about 24oz of water an half a diet Snapple and its showing deep purple 160ml or mg whatever they are...is this a good indication what do you guys think? What's been your experience?

Almost exactly the same.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 11:16

Plan: My Keto Coach Diet Plan
Stats: 230/175/173 Male 5" 5'
BF:
Progress: 96%
Exclamation

Keto sticks are SO unreliable. Let me explain. Since its based on saturation of ketones in your urine. So if you drink a lot of water (like you should be) then the reading will be lighter, then if you drink less water the next day your reading is darker - ARE YOU IN MORE OF A KETOSIS STATE -- NO! The best way to measure is to get a blood glucometer like diabetics use and then use ketone blood strips. This is a real reading from your blood - not a by product reading like in your urine. Also urine ketones are not beta hydroxybutarate (which are the ketones you want to focus on). I made a video about it here if your interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsS5NLfYQX4
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-02-16, 11:45

I call shenanigans. Let's see some studies to back up your two assertions. Double dog dare you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 10:06

No response. That's too bad.

There are plenty of studies showing high correlations between urine ketones and blood ketones. There are also plenty of studies showing that the simple injection of saline does not "dilute" blood ketones. There are plenty of studies showing that by eliminating ketones through the urine the concentration in the blood is reduced and NOT by drinking water.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 10:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Raj, you brought up a two year old thread for what purpose?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 11:57

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hmmmm. JEY, you wouldn't suspect someone with something to sell, would you?? But I might.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Raj, you brought up a two year old thread for what purpose?

To sell an exciting narrative?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-03-16, 17:29

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

To rouse the rabble?

I was roused. But in the opposite fashion from what was intended, I think....
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-04-16, 11:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...t00204-0169.pdf

I like this study for looking at what urine ketones mean.

During total starvation, subjects were given between 7.5 and 15 grams of glucose. Urine ketones went down, but serum ketones stayed high. Ammonia production was reduced, less protein was degraded through gluconeogenesis. If everything else remained equal, but there had been this decrease in ammonia spilled in the urine, the urine would have become more acidic, ketones spilled in the urine decreased enough that this didn't happen. If this applies to somebody in ketosis while eating a ketogenic diet, then a person could reduce their carbs until the ketostix showed purple--and then think that adding ten grams of glucose a day keeps them out of ketosis, even if all it's doing is somehow prompting the kidneys to reabsorb ketones and spill a little less. Dr. Atkins called induction levels of carbohydrate biologically zero carbohydrate, I'd say that's what was going on here, if the carbs these guys ate just replaced glucose that would have otherwise been synthesized from protein, they spared protein without actually increasing glucose metabolism.

I have an old book on bodybuilding by Arnold Schwartzenegger. In it he uses a controlled carb diet. He advised cutting carbs as low as you need to to show ketosis on the stix--and then add just enough carbohydrate to show a negative. This was supposed to keep carbs low enough to promote weight loss, but high enough to prevent the muscle wasting that was supposed to happen if you went into ketosis. But following that advice, judging by urine ketones, some people might have actually been in ketosis.