Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-10, 13:02

Plan: Chicken. Meat. Eggs.
Stats: 472/437.6/250 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Bike riding

Ok folks so I am down to 330.4 from 442 and think its time I get off my #~$ and do some exercising before it wasn't an option, now there is really no excuse..

Who here rides a bike? We have a nice little creek not far from where I live with plenty of places to ride and its quiet (read: not a lot of people).

I am looking at: http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-...n-Bike/13398147

I'm still a big guy and think I might look a little funny on it, but hey, its cheap and will help me with weightloss.. I just hope I don't break it

So for you bike riders, how far do you ride per day? Does it help you lose weight?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 09:39

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi there! Congrats on thinking about taking up cycling; I've been doing it religiously for almost 2 years now. It definitely has helped my weight loss, in fact I started cycling when I was about 300 lbs and dropped 30 lbs in a little over a month just by riding. I kinda stalled in the weight loss that's when I started Atkins.

My first bike was a Walmart Next brand cruiser type bike, bought it for $100. At 300 lbs I was concerned about being too heavy for it, but that bike was a work horse! Durable, reliable and comfortable, an excellent starter bike.

When I first started riding, I couldn't do the whole 6 mile round trip commute to and from school. The slightest incline made me want to get off and push the bike cause it was easier!

Now, 2 years later and 115 lbs lighter, I ride a road bike with an ultra-light frame, skinnier than hell tires etc. I still do my daily 6 mile commute. I'm in Phoenix, so over the summer I find it impossible to do distance rides, but before summer set in I was doing a weekly 20 mile ride and mixing things up once a month or so with a 40 or 50 mile ride.

I'm still really heavy, and have been dealing with mental health issues related to my weight loss, so I'm determined to just maintain right now. But knowing that through exercise I am increasing my fitness is good enough for now.

Have you gotten your bike yet? Keep me posted on how you like it.
I really encourage people to start out with the Walmart cheapy bikes, they're like clydesdales, built to handle heavyweights. And it's a lot easier on the wallet if you decide cycling isn't for you and sell $100 bike on Craigs List for $50 than to sell a $500 bike for $250.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 04:44

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

I've started cycling about a month ago. I think you're on the right track. Get a solid bike to get you on your way and then figure out what kind of biking you want to be doing. I have a bike trail behind my house so that works out great for me. I have limited time so my workout is to ride as far as I can down the trail for 30 minutes then turn around. Progress is measured by how much further I can go in the same amount of time.

The first part of my trail is not paved, and is still pretty undeveloped. (it's an old railroad bed) I've discovered mud is not fun whatsoever to ride in. Just something to think about when determining where to ride.

if you will be riding in the dark like I do, then take the money by getting a cheapy bike at Walmart and invest in good safety gear, like a good headlight and reflective clothing.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 138/129/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I love riding my bike. I ride about 3-times a week for about 6-miles. Starting out I would try to find some fairly flat trails. You don't want any major hills or lots of hills as you'll tire out quickly. As far as a bike, the one you linked to is a good starter bike, just make sure you try it out and sit on it to make sure it fits you. You may want to go to a bike shop first and learn how they fit you for a bike based on your height and other factors. Then you can use that knowledge to pick out a cheaper starter bike at WalMart. You may want to get a more comfortable saddle. I wouldn't recommend getting one of the dual-suspension bikes as the cheaper ones tend to absorb some of your pedaling power. The one you have pictured is what is called a hard tail. They have a shock in the front which is ok but not really needed unless you go on some unpaved trails. Start out slow and make sure you stay hydrated. I think you'll find that biking is not only fun but a great way to burn fat and get into shape. I love biking. And once you get comfortable and good at riding, you can then decide whether you want a mountain bike or a road bike or a cruiser or whatever. I personally like a hard tail mountain bike as I ride paved and unpaved trails. I also like the riding position of a mountain bike over a road bike.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-10, 07:40

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I bike for several reasons and first and foremost is because I've had a hip replacement, so no impact type exercises for me. They tell me that it is possible to ride in Indiana year round, but I find it too cold and slick. When I started out I started on a cheapie Schwinn from Target. I used to think that an 8 mile ride was a long distance and very challenging. Now, I teach LesMills RPM - indoor cycling at my local YMCA. I also purchased a road bike from a local bike shop. The trek and I will go 30 - 40 miles a day weather permitting.

Good luck and enjoy.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-11, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/240/200 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serif
As far as a bike, the one you linked to is a good starter bike, just make sure you try it out and sit on it to make sure it fits you. You may want to go to a bike shop first and learn how they fit you for a bike based on your height and other factors. Then you can use that knowledge to pick out a cheaper starter bike at WalMart.
As a guy that rides a lot, I am going to disagree with you here.
First off the bike linked to in the OP is junk with a capitol JUNK. Did you read the specs? It shipping weight is 44 lbs. Knock off a couple of lbs for the box and that bike is about 40 lbs. That is about twice what it should weigh. My hardtail mountain bike is about 22 lbs, and my road bikes are about 18.
Put somebody on a 44 lb bike and that is almost a guarantee that they won't like riding a bike.
Furthermore if that bike lasts 65 months I would be surprised. The components used on a Wally world bike are total junk. And the big box stores will offer no aftersales service on what they sell.
My suggestion is go to your local bike shop, test drive a few bikes and see what you like. Buy from your LBS, his business relies on repeat loyal customers, so they will treat you right.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-11, 07:14
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Hi guys,

This really isn't about bike riding. I used to be a biker and I am buying a new one after losing 100 pounds. But one thing that I found out for myself is that while I love biking if you are looking to do something cheaper i.e. less money while saving up for a bike then I might suggest this:

I am getting more and more into Primal, and it dove tails very nicely with my Low Carb lifestyle. Mark Sisson at http://marksdailyapple.com has a free fitness ebook that you might start out with and then while doing this save up for a good bike.

Rick51 is correct, if you are going to purchase a bike, make sure its a good one, and not a piece of crap, nothing will turn you off faster than having a bad piece of equipment. So if money is an issue, Do the primal thing while saving up.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim...eprint-fitness/

You only have to sign up for his weekly email newsletter (which I find great) to get it.

Again, just offering some options.

John