Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:21

Plan: south beach
Stats: 230/240/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Smile Please Help I Can't Stay Motivated

Hi, I'm New 2 This & N Desperate Need Of Motivation & Support. I've Tried The Healthy Eating Thing But Just Can't Stick 2 It Long Enough 2 Lose Weight I Luv Food & Can't Make It Without Cheating I Tell Myself Everyday & Week I Will Make Better Food Choices But Of Course I Don't Please Some 1 Help!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 245/219/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I'm with you. I have tried the "healthy" eating only to fail again and again. I'm not sure why it has "clicked" this time. Probably because of several things, such as these forums, desire, and the right plan. This is the first time I have lost this much weight. I am soooo motivated and I love the way I am feeling. I love the fact that all of my clothes are getting too big. And I am loving the compliments from everyone. I think these things just keep me going.
Good luck, You can do it!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 23:19

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Progress: 14%

Nice thing about low carbing is that you don't really have to worry about sacrificing your love of food! I have that same love, but if you bring your carbs down low enough you really can lose and it will amaze you how much you desire for food will become less, you'll be more saitiated, satisfied, the cheating is just the glucose talking!

Good luck, just remember every craving is a sign that you are not low enough in the carb department, make the choices of food, the challenge, that zero carb is a goal to shoot for, but it's really almost impossible and not even good, but I really try and most days end up around 15, and I'm trying for none...

good luck,
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 00:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%
Default Don't panic. This is just about using food as fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BIG4YA
Hi, I'm New 2 This & N Desperate Need Of Motivation & Support. I've Tried The Healthy Eating Thing But Just Can't Stick 2 It Long Enough 2 Lose Weight I Luv Food & Can't Make It Without Cheating I Tell Myself Everyday & Week I Will Make Better Food Choices But Of Course I Don't Please Some 1 Help!!!!!!!!!!!
You got yourself here and got your hands on a keyboard, which means you are not eating while you are typing and reading. That's a step in the right direction, for me at least. Sometimes typing and reading is just the thing to get me past craving. Then again, eating protein-fat snack is sometimes not a bad thing to do. I keep a tin of sardines handy, as my emergency kit. Love those little fishies in olive oil and find that a tin just about hits all of my flashing red alarm lights.

What is your best bite for a LC emergency? Do you like deviled eggs? Can you slap together a few to have handy in the fridge for when you feel a snack would help you make it until the next real meal? Sometimes I get a few eggs done as I eat breakfast. Just whip up the mayo and yolks with cayenne or whatever seems to strike my fancy. Then I have a day or two of snacks. I put both halves back together for a tidy pkg that can even travel in a baggie as long as I remember to keep it cool. Eggs can be bad news if they get hot.

Meat snacks, on the other hand, travel better. Do you like fish or chicken? Set up your own kit of leftovers by cooking too much the night before, then you have a day's worth of snacks that are meaty protein with no carbs. All you need is a bit of mayo to fatten up the protein and you're in LC heaven.

Okay, so what is your best LC day as far as a menu? I like to start off with buttery eggs in the morning, maybe with some cheese mixed in. That hits my tummy with a happy feeling. Midmorning is yoghurt time, with a fruity bite of berries or something to balance that tart yoghurt taste. Lunch is fishy mayo on a bed of shaved celery - or baby spinach leaves tossed in Italian dressing. Dinner is midafternoon for me and is a smaller meal than I used to eat. That way I wake up hungry for my morning eggs.

It's hard, but I'm aiming to eat just a clenched fistful of food at a meal. The goal is to eat more meals than I am used to managing. I figure I'll get back to eat more often if I am eating less at each meal. Went to a salad plate for my meals, as a dinner plate invites me to put out too much food. Sigh. Not easy.

Well, that's my two cents' for what it's worth. Keep on working toward your goal. The fight is well worth it, for it's your life that's the prize. -Zer
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 05:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Zer, I really admire your positive approach to LC strategy. That makes all the difference. Are you listening, 2Big?

LC is less about motivation than about PLANNING. You have to surround yourself with good choices to help you when the bad choices present themselves--which is about every five minutes.

What you really make up your mind to do, you can do. No whining.

P. S. I keep a copy of Dr. Atkins's book within arm's reach at all times. When you're thinking of eating, start reading.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 08:43

Stats: 220/185.5/125 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Unfortunately, nobody can motivate you. Motivation has to come from within. (I know, I know....I hated this realization too.)

However, we here at this wonderful forum, can support you. We will support you with your ups and downs, successess and failures (although admiting a failure equals success in my book), gains or lossess. You can do this if you really want to. You can't do it for someone else or because your doctor, significant other, or stranger in the grocery store says you should. You just have to, for you. Afterall, you are worth it, right? Of course you are.

You have found the right place for all the love and support you desire.

I too, came here looking for "motivation" and I did not get motivated for probably over a year later. I just woke up one day and said ok, enough. I've got to do it. Just because. Just for me.

I wish you the best of luck and many, many blessings. Let us know if you need anything....sometimes just "talking" helps too.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-21-06, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

Just talking. That sums up what support is all about. My fingers surprise me as I "talk" here. They throw stuff up on the screen that surprises me, that is maybe not part of my conscious mind. Anyone else find their posts are a surprise? Just talking is what works for me, as talking gets some of my motivation out where I can see it. Puzzling to me, my motivation. I eat as if nothing I put into my mouth has consequences. Oh, yeah, sometimes I'm eating mindlessly, hands shoving anything at all into my maw. It happens. Happens? Yeah, mindless eating just HAPPENS to me when I'm on automatic pilot or not minding the store.

What? Oh, there are consequences. But sometimes I eat as if I am not responsible for the consequences. I still accept gifts of food that I ought to turn down. I let my LC plan be destroyed so that someone offering me carby food will not be 'hurt' - as if anyone offering me food could suffer as much as I suffer for all the stuff that I eat when all I really WANT is to stop eating.

Sometimes I think I should just stop eating altogether. I do. It is too complicated, eating for health. Easier to just be an omnivore, eating anything that crosses my path. Consequences are a fact of life. Took me years to find that out, to accept that as reality. Here I am, at 62, still struggling to work out a way to eat without suffering consequences. How long will it take to get it, that everything has consequences? Oh, dear, I'm on a rant. Probably time to go find some breakfast, to feed my body, to fuel myself for the day that lies ahead of me. Oy! Food!

Today looks as if it might be a relatively sane food day. I see a scrambled egg in my near future, if there are eggs in the fridge. See what happens, if one does not plan carefully to have a good supply of LC food on hand? Chance eating. Aghhhhh! -Zer
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-23-06, 12:53

Plan: south beach
Stats: 230/240/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Hi This Is 2big4ya And I Would Like To Thank Everyone Who Responded If I Never Felt Loved And Supported I Do Now Thanks A Million