Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 14:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Interesting. I've never heard of anyone using fiber for that reason. Too bad they changed the forumula, huh? Will you still use it?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 14:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Interesting. I've never heard of anyone using fiber for that reason. Too bad they changed the forumula, huh? Will you still use it?

I bought one package, but I'm not really comfortable about using it.

Instead, I plan to look for guar gum in another brand, or any vegetable gum that's mostly fiber, if I can find it.

If not, then I'll do without. After reading this thread, I no longer feel the need to eat lots of fiber each day- if I select high fiber foods that day, that's great, but it's no longer something I'm going to worry about.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 12:31

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

It's nice to see this thread is still flowing regularly. I had to grit my teeth the other day. A friend of mine, whom I treated to lunch, ranted on how the American diet was way too low in fiber. I bit my lip, yes at times I keep my mouth shut. I am sure this will come up again and I won't be so quiet about it. Poor thing has IBS, just like her mom. Hmmm, I wonder why she doesn't see the connection.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 13:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
It's nice to see this thread is still flowing regularly.

Yes, we are still regular, DESPITE the lack of fiber!

#65   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 15:43

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

tee hee!
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-07, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 230/220/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I've not tried the green tea extracts, either. I believe they are to be added to bottled water, but I could be wrong.

Ok, I bought the Vanilla version of the tea extracts. I tried it in hot water and cold water. I'm sorry to say I had to choke each one down; it just didn't taste good at all. I'm very glad I only bought one bottle!!
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 09:02

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 183/172/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeknslim
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ibs.html

Check out this link to Barry Groves on IBS and fiber. I never had a problem with constipation in my life but I did have the opposite problem until I gave up whole wheat bread. I'm sure I read a really big long article somewhere on the internet about the problems with fiber but I don't remember where now. I thought it was Barry Groves but this is all I can find quickly.

I hope you don't mind me popping in to your thread here, but I was just reading this article online and this could possible be what you were referring to. It is a great read anyway. I have passed it along to anyone I know on statins. The link below all related to fibre though:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ch...rol_myth_3.html
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 09:09

BF:

Pop in any time! This is not a closed thread.

Yes, that article goes right along with Dr. Mike's way of thinking. I especially liked this quote:
Tests into the supposed benefits of dietary fibre soon showed that there could be other harmful side effects. All the nutrients in food are absorbed through the gut wall and this takes time. Fibre, by speeding food through the gut faster so that less nutrients are absorbed, inhibits the absorption of iron, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, energy, proteins, fats and vitamins A, D, E and K.
Makes sense to me!

And check this out (emphasis is mine):
More importantly, phytate found in cereal fibre (bran) also binds with calcium, iron and zinc making them indigestible, which in turn causes malabsorption. One study, for example, showed that subjects absorbed more iron from white bread than from wholemeal bread even though their intakes of iron were fifty percent higher with the wholemeal bread.
Holy smokes!
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthinish
Stats: 171/156/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks LeaLee,

I just reread that article and it's great. My oldest daughter gets horrible cramps when she eats whole wheat bread but has no problem with white. Her friends at one point didn't believe her and tried to trick her by giving her that wheat bread that looks like white (the advertised - fool your kids into being healthy strategy) and she got the same horrible cramps. Years before our doctor told her her intestinal problems were psychological. I had been buying whole wheat bread at the time, believing it to be healthy. I was wrong. Now I know better. I'm glad some people are waking up to the fiber is good myth.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 11:44

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

My observation is that almost every major finding in nutrition is eventually overthrown at some point. I have officially given up on the idea of getting 35g per day fiber. No can do! I am unable to eat anything with gluten (which means no wheat/rye/barley). Beans don't agree with me, so they are out. I refuse to eat starches since they turn directly into sugar as soon as you are done chewing them. But here's what I think about the general population: Most foods they are are so over-processed and over-cooked etc. that getting adequate fiber really IS a problem for them because alll this over-processed food doesn't move thru their digestive systems. I eat a big salad every day, occasionally eat an apple or grapefruit, have the rough Irish oats when I'm not dieting (don't have it when I am!!), and I don't eat any sugar. I go easily every day and I'm never constipated. Like I said, I think it's overloading the system with all sorts of junk, sugar, starches etc. is what gunks up the system.