Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/156/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default discouraged

Hi
I was looking forward to reintroducing myself after a long absence. I lost 30 lbs several years ago and although I have maintained within 10 lbs over that time I have recently decided to recommit myself and lose the remaining weight.
This time I was going to do everything right. I would not expect any rapid weight loss, I would be patient. I would watch my calories and get a fitday account and track everything I eat. I rejoined my gym, drank my water, took my supplements and even started off with 4 days of meat and eggs only. It took me about a week to get into ketosis but for the last 4 days the sticks have been consistantly a lovely deep shade of purple. A week ago I weighed myself and was 160, this morning I was 161. So much for my cheerful introduction post. I am not going to quit but I am very very discouraged.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 08:15

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

HI!

Seems like there are a lot of us that decide to come back, because we have had success in the past, and know this is the best way for us to get a grip.

I came back several times, with no success, but then I had minimal commitment. This time I have been back three weeks, and I feel confident that I am over the hump, and am fully committed.

My biggest problem is probably the mistaken assumption on my part that I realize what I am eating. Does that make sense? The first time around, I tracked everything. I was in a little group here, and we all chatted everyday, and it was sooooooo helpful.

I have been using fitday, which is helping me realize that sometimes when I think I am making the right LC choice, I am not. BUT, I am doing better.

You know from your past experience that the weight will just drop off, you will seem to lose 5 pounds in one day. Remember, a lot of this woe is not necessarily losing the weight, but firming up, gaining muscle etc. Are your clothes beginning to feel looser? Are you feeling better? Are you sleeping better? Numbers are just numbers. Don't focus on are in or out of ketosis.
Don't focus on weighing in. It's hard, I know it is. You know it is. But, you know you can do it. Day by day. I AM doing it, and there are days when I would like nothing more than to just lay in a giant tub of chocolate pudding. But I just keep going on.
I have my first grandchild due in July. I want to be healthy enough to play with him, and take him places, and be there to shower him with all the love I will feel for him. I won't do it as a 'big girl'. I will do it as a happy, healthy, fit, vibrant woman. That is my promise to myself. What is your promise to yourself.

You are doing great! Just keep doing it
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 08:15
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome, Marlenca! I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. Do you keep your Atkins book handy, so you can refer to it often? The only thing I can think of that might put that kind of weight on you so quickly is water retention. Is your TOM about to start? Another thing that might cause you to retain water would be if you eat a lot of processed foods, or foods with hidden carbs.

Perhaps if you were to list a few of your typical daily menus for us, we could see something that might be causing your problem.

Cheer up, hon. We can figure this thing out together.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 08:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

I know how you are feeling. I did the very same thing. Only I gained it all back plus more. Everything is going to be ok for you.

I would forget the just meat and eggs thing. Just eat regular meals..with Veggies included. Don't be in such a hurry.

I found that the second time around is not so easy on lowcarbing. Some it is..but not for me. I am not giving up either. Drink lots of water eat Lots of veggies. You will be surprised that your weight will come back down in no time. It has to.

I go to the lowcarb success stories here on the forum. It helps to encourage me. I also look at old me pics when I was 120 a couple of yrs ago..kind of depressing but I want to be back to where I was and more.

If you don't have a journal it will also help you keep in touch with were you have been and with others here too.

Best of luck to you. You can get me on my journal if you need to talk.
Anna
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 09:06
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Its so helpful to know that other people have had this experience and gone on to lose. If this WOE had not been so successful for me in the past I probably would quit.
I am avoiding a lot of things I ate last time including processed meats and nuts and cheese.
I am 54 so I don't have a TOM. I don't even use splenda. I drink almost nothing except water, although yesterday I had a diet cola. My calories have been around 1600 a day 68 to 70% fat and under 20 carbs a day. Am I eating too much?
Thanks again for your support!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 09:15

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Hi Marlenca!

Girl don't give up!!! We have similar stories and are close in age. The weight WILL start falling off... You could be dropping inches at this time. How bout staying away from the scales for a couple weeks so it won't effect you so much. Keep in mind the more we have to loose the more we drop initially and you are very lucky to only have 20 lbs. to loose! Good for you!! By the way, I eat anything I want so long as I'm below 20 carbs. Last time around I did this and it worked for me. Just thinking maybe if you were to do as you did before when you lost, add back the nuts and cheese, you might do better. Our bodies are all different! Keeping track of the calories is a good thing but I don't even do that at this point. My dh is on this woe with me and he's doing great too! If you have time read my journal...

Best wishes to you,

Cissie
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 11:18

Hi again Marlenca...don't count calories. Just eat the low carb foods you are suppose to. It would not be low carbing if you count calories. That is the reason I am on Atkins so I don't have to. I don't see anything wrong with the cheese as a snack, And in wraps. Keep away from all nitrate this time and you should do very well.

Anna
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 11:54
Registered Member

BF:

Some people say that when you are older it is necessary to consider calories...you don't think so?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 12:32

I don't think so..I am 59 yrs old. Don't tell any one...lol. I never count them. As you get older you don't get as hungry. Well at lest my mom was that way when she was in her 70's and healthy.
Anna
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 22:13
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenca
Am I eating too much?
Probably not. If you go into a stall (no weight loss for over 4 weeks), then it might be time to look at total calorie intake. I don't think you should bother with it as long, as you continue to lose.