Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/198/150
BF:
Progress:
Angry Ny cholestrol has risen too!

I am just new to this forum and have been reading the very helpful messages listed here.

I got a shock a few days ago when I had my cholestrol done and it was 7 (should be less than 5.5) with LDL 5 (should be less than 3.3).

I have been doing Atkins for about 3 years, although this 8-9 months have been a bit slack and have put on some weight, but nothing like what I started at. I didn't expect the change in cholestrol though, so have started strictly again and am watching my fat intake. The Dr has threatened medication, recommended I replace my chicken and salad lunches with a sandwich !!! etc.

I will be glad to get any help with this that anyone may offer.

Thanks

Caroline
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 19:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Caroline

I just realized you posted this question in another thread, and I only saw it now .. sorry about that

Have you been following your cholesterol and triglycerides all along?? Were they normal three years ago before you started low-carbing? Generally, a properly followed low-carb program should and will bring blood fat levels down nicely. Triglycerides especially, since trigs. require glucose in order to be formed.

It's possible that your time "off the wagon" had an adverse effect. .. Especially if you were eating a fair bit of sugar and sweet things.

If your blood tests were fine up to this period of low-carbing now, it's possible you might have developed a sensitivity to arachidonic acid. In some people, this can cause cholesterol, and blood pressure too .. to go up, even though they are losing weight and body fat just fine with the low-carb diet. The Drs. Eades of Protein Power explain it thus:
Quote:
First, you can’t do the Protein Power Plan halfway (or any low-carb program). You can’t increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you’ll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).
Don't try to go totally lowfat in your diet. You need cholesterol, it's a vital fat that is required to make hormones and other functions in the body. If you don't eat foods with fat AND CHOLESTEROL in them, your liver will make its own cholesterol to provide the body what it needs. The liver isn't very efficient as a cholesterol-making factory ... since it was only designed to make cholesterol in emergencies, during periods of famine, when no fat is coming from the diet. It's now well-known that the cholesterol you make in your own liver is more harmful than the cholesterol you eat.

That's how the cholesterol-lowering drugs work ... they stop the liver from making cholesterol. Unfortunately, they are very hard on the liver, and the side effects are not nice, including gall bladder disease. IMHO, that's an awfully high risk for such expense, and most studies show they only bring about a 10% reduction in serum cholesterol anyway.

Please read this letter, and the posts following it ... from a man who overcame severe heart disease and high cholesterol (over 9!) by following Atkins STRICTLY, no cheating ... and is still healthy and well 3 years later, and still low-carbing too

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/198/150
BF:
Progress:

Thanks again - I've read all the posts you recommended, which has given me hope I can beat this thing.

Originally I lost about 45lbs, kept it off, always intending to lose more, but this year nearly half of it crept back on and the last few weeks I have been struggling to get myself back on plan again. I was still basically following the Atkins plan, BUT having a few extras like bittersweet chocolate, the odd slice of bread, and the occasional potato etc, without taking note of these extras. I detest sweet stuff so eating sweets, cakes and desserts isn't a problem. However, this blood test last week has given me the kick-start I need - have had a good week.

My total cholestrol is reading 7 and apparently should be less than 5.5, while my LDL reading is 5 and should be less than 3.3.

The one thing I am not quite clear on is how much fat is the ideal amount to consume to get my cholestrol down. I will watch the egg yolks too.

Thanks again for your help in this.

Caroline