Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-13, 11:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 259/225/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks, sollyb- nice kitty
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-13, 11:27

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
According to The Pocket Fat, Carbohydrate & Fiber Counter, carbs should be 45-65 percent of total calories. Equals 270-390 g carbs

Forgot to say that is a lot of carbs. I don't restrict or count, but for other reasons (watching, and I do mean only watching, nutritional content of my daily diet to see what I might need supplementing and what would put me into excess of something if I added a supplement). I don't eat nearly that many carb grams as a rule, though there have been "exceptional" days.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-13, 08:02

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Wheat is my kryptonite! Anyone who eats wheat will notice their appetite slowly increasing... almost unnoticeably until you step on the scale! I read Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis and he's so right about what it does to people! Everything from Arthritis, Depression, to anxiety, schizophrenia, bloated stomachs and of course ... weight gain! I really like the concept of not counting carbs. Dr. Davis feels that all grains are not good for the body.
Grains, raise blood sugar faster than straight sugar! I'd like to manage my carbs and not have to count them. I need to get this weight off..
  #139   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 01:51

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi Jean and everyone. Jean, our stats are almost identical! I have been stuck at around 145 for several months but I'm starting to lose again, very slowly. I also do what you do - just avoid carbs mostly - and I really love the way I feel now. My digestion works so much better. I started LC just about a year ago!
  #140   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 11:46

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I don't really "count" carbs, though I do log what I eat into MYPlan most days. I do that after I've eaten though, just to keep track. I know more or less what I ought to eat, and how much, but I have a "thing" about graphs and numbers LOL; I like seeing the changes over time. When I get closer to goal this will taper off of its own accord, I am sure.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 07:29

I got off sweetened ice tea which I was drinking a lot of this summer. Now that I'm older, I'm getting insulin resistant and I have to get my carbs in check. I'm not counting. It's too stressful to count carbs, and keep track. I'm almost off all grains. My goal is to get off eggs and dairy too. (intolerances).
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-13, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
. My digestion works so much better. I started LC just about a year ago!

I would get indigestion for a few months when I switch diets from low fat to low carb. Does anyone else? I actually called Atkin's office when he was alive and they told me that it was normal and to take digestive enzymes
  #143   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-13, 18:09

Been on my own low carb..not counting but not eating grains and sugar. I allow 1 fruit a day. I really like not counting anything. Seeing results. I used to follow CAD but its so slow losing that way. I think it would make a better maintenance plan than a weight loss plan.
  #144   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-13, 13:58

Plan: 2 daily LC meals mostly
Stats: 198/000/149 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 404%
Default Hi all

I haven't been on this site or others like it in a long time. I have enjoyed reading your posts and and wanting to do low carb without counting. Could someone tell me how this is done ? I would like to lose about 36 pounds. Can you post a couple of day's examples on what could be consumed that would attribute to weight loss? Must portions be small? Is snacking allowed? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

SeaLady
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-13, 07:03

It's probably best to go to the Atkins website atkins.com and look at the carb counts in foods so you get an idea what is low carb and what is not. You can eat all you want of meat, fish, poultry, dairy. coffee/tea with cream till you're satisfied. No counting or portions. Snacking always allowed with the above items. Most vegetables are low carb with the exception of potatoes, and winter squash. Some people eat all vegetables and lose. There are no grains allowed. Not even corn. You also might want to limit beans. You basically have to do trial and error. If you aren't losing then start eliminating the high carb vegetables. .. and of course there is no sugar allowed on low carb. I used Truvia. I also allow myself one fruit a day, and no juice, like 1/2 grapefruit and berries or some apple. This week I'm trying 2 fruits a day to see if I can still lose. And I believe wheat is a BIG culprit in people becoming obese. I agree with Dr. Davis. Many people lost a hundred lbs just by giving up wheat and grains. Some just by giving up wheat.

Last edited by Mayflowers : Tue, Sep-17-13 at 07:11.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-15, 10:37

Plan: Carb Nite
Stats: 175/169/155 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

I do pretty much the same thing. The only time I look at carb count is when I purchase food at the store.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 18:50

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Same for me here too - I have just cut out bread/wheat/pasta/potatoes/artificial sugar. I don't count carbs as such and still drink wine in the evening. It worked well for me 11 years ago and I am hopeful it will again.
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 08:09

I've started incorporating keto into my diet, though IF I can't do because of hypoglycemia. Maybe down the road. Love this way of eating! Lots of fats and low protein ...
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 04:02

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:

Hi, JessAus.
Hi, Mayflowers.

When I drew the line and changed my eating habits, I didn't count anything for years. I just stopped eating refined/processed foods, sugars/artificial sweeteners, no sweets or starches. I didn't know it was called anything. I remembered the elderly ladies in the late 1950s and 1960s saying, "Skip the bread and potatoes, the dessert and the sauces/gravies." I remembered a great-aunt saying to just use oil and vinegar on the salad. Those little crackers in packets were something to give to the children.

It worked. I got rid of fifty pounds.

It was obvious, then, very obvious, that what had gotten me fat, was the "stuff" to avoid.

After some years, I heard that eating that way had been named "Low Carb", and I started reading about nutrition and metabolism. I've been reading ever since, learning, fine tuning, etc.

But, the simple way of eating without the sweets, starches, and processed/refined foods got the excess weight off, and kept it off.

#150   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 18:27

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
Hi, JessAus.
Hi, Mayflowers.

When I drew the line and changed my eating habits, I didn't count anything for years. I just stopped eating refined/processed foods, sugars/artificial sweeteners, no sweets or starches. I didn't know it was called anything. I remembered the elderly ladies in the late 1950s and 1960s saying, "Skip the bread and potatoes, the dessert and the sauces/gravies." I remembered a great-aunt saying to just use oil and vinegar on the salad. Those little crackers in packets were something to give to the children.

It worked. I got rid of fifty pounds.

It was obvious, then, very obvious, that what had gotten me fat, was the "stuff" to avoid.

After some years, I heard that eating that way had been named "Low Carb", and I started reading about nutrition and metabolism. I've been reading ever since, learning, fine tuning, etc.

But, the simple way of eating without the sweets, starches, and processed/refined foods got the excess weight off, and kept it off.

Hi SilverEm
Thanks for your inspiration. Can I ask how long it took you to lose the 50 pounds? That is about what I have to lose.