Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-15, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Game 17 Sunday 8/30 5 lb challenge

Today is SUNDAY August 30th day ONE of the 5 lb challenge It is OPEN TO ANYONE THAT FOLLOWS DANDR..1972 or 1992

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!.....NASA (and US!)

WE DO NOT FAIL BECAUSE WE KEEP TRYING!

We have learned and keep learning how our bodies adjust to the ever changing dynamics of life. We follow the Philosophies set forth by DR ATKINS in DANDR..1972 or 1992 versions.

It does not get easier as we get to goal and we accept that we will keep trying and not give in to old habits. We move forward, even if we take steps backward, we strive for success. Positive attitudes and a sense of humor is a big help.
~~~~~~~~~~WE ARE THE A-TEAM! ~~~~

Name.............start wt..........current.........goal.............# to go

Paulette...........213.8.............213.8............208.8.......... ..5.0

Cricket............158.0..............158.0............153.0............ 5.0

Jodi................141.0...............141.0............136.0... ......5.0

Barb...............175.9...............175.9.............170.9......... 5.0

Himi...............210.1.................210.1............205.1......... 5.0

Chrissie...........180.3.............180.3..............175.3........... .5.0

Kathy~~~~ Maintenance Goal...130.0-139.9~~~~

TOTAL LOSSES as of AUGUST 18, 2015

NAME...........started...........at #.............AS OF..............at #.........lost

Cricket.........11/28/13.........224.0.........08/18/15........145.2........78.8

Kathy...........12/02/13.........235.0........08/04/15.........138.5........96.5

Paulette........02/02/14.........331.8........08/18/15.........211.6......120.2

Himi.............12/26/14.........294.0.........08/25/15........214.2........79.8

Chrissie........01/05/15.........222.2.........08/25/15........180.8........41.4

Jodi..............01/05/15.........153.0........08/11/15........139.5........13.5

Barb.............03/29/15.........212.0........08/25/15.........174.6.......37.4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-15, 21:41

Plan: Atkins72, mostly
Stats: 294/178.6/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Today is SUNDAY August 30th day ONE of the 5 lb challenge It is OPEN TO ANYONE THAT FOLLOWS DANDR..1972 or 1992

We have learned and keep learning how our bodies adjust to the ever changing dynamics of life. We follow the Philosophies set forth by DR ATKINS in DANDR..1972 or 1992 versions.

It does not get easier as we get to goal and we accept that we will keep trying and not give in to old habits. We move forward, even if we take steps backward, we strive for success. Positive attitudes and a sense of humor is a big help.

Paulette...........213.8.............213.8............208.8.......... ..5.0

Himi...............210.9.................210.9............205.9......... 5.0

NAME...........started...........at #.............AS OF..............at #.........lost

Cricket.........11/28/13.........224.0.........08/18/15........145.2........78.8

Kathy...........12/02/13.........235.0........08/04/15.........138.5........96.5

Himi.............12/26/14.........294.0.........08/29/15........210.9........83.1

Chrissie........01/05/15.........222.2.........08/25/15........180.8........41.4

Jodi..............01/05/15.........153.0........08/11/15........139.5........13.5

Barb.............03/29/15.........212.0........08/25/15.........174.6.......37.4
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 00:26
Registered Member

BF:

HELLO friends. Oh yes, Crickey is wide awake.WIDE AWAKE. paradoxical effects at their best! instead of the opiods making me sleepy they are now like a shot of caffiene mainlined! WOW not good at all.
HIMI.... ty for getting the chart done fast We are NOT going to repeat our old issues again. We are going to... no, let me reword this. we ARE NOW screwing our heads back on and fixing the porblems. No more excuses. Kitchens thankfully done ( not an excuse and you did great) and eating out should be avoided or done safely and not for the love of eating.
It is time now to get back to where we need to be. Labor Day is coming and before you know it, and entire NEW set of road blocks will pop up with the tons of food encouraged holidays heading our way. So what to do?? WELL, I already feel like crap si I might as well be a healthier feeling like crap gal. What kind of team leader can I be when I have fallen so far and fast.OK.. so I may look like a pin cushion and first attenpt at sewiing by a kindergarten kid, but no more opiods. They do not work anyway. I will use ice packs and call to ask if i can start on Ibuprophen yet.I am a carb addict and I am allergic to glutens so I am in total first degree unkie hell here. If I feel this way and not losing I might as well feel good! DUH!!
SO, AUGUST 31,SUNDAY is the official restart of the rest of my life. No deadlines.Everyday must be a losing day.FAT will go every day.Numbers will play catch up. I will pee positive soon.
I ate all thsoe salads and veggies, remained constipated and bloated with indegestion. JODI stopped her salads for a couple of days and look at her numbers. She is off her salads. FRIENDS, I will stand by my findings and that is that even though the NC may be ok for some, it is not ok for the many. IF you find yourself needing them then have them.If not, you do better without.
So I will begin the day with the omlette.3 eggs, shredded cheese.and oil spray. I need to limit the calories and up the fluids.Tuna and mayo..one can for dinner with stalk celery for filler.It may take a few days but ketosis WILL happen and I WILL be feeling so much better.
BARB... let's do this! The set points cannot win.The 150s were my hardest to break through so together we break our own zones..KATHY.. good going.That was fast even for you, and as usual, instead of gaining water weight from owrking out, you manage to do the opposite and lose LOL! Have a grat shift dear heart
PAULETTIEPUSS>>>I am jealous of those maters! Even my flippin pumpkins are all dead!like gone!If crabgrass were planted here I could kill it!
Hair has been really improving.. now to see about the fall out due to anesthesia and drugs OY. My HIGH HOLY DAYS are coming soon but food is not getting to me. Not a big eat thing for me. I hope i can drop a decent amount before the 13th and 22nd. I am definately going to service on the night of 22nd.Time to take out my old video tape of THE JAZZ SINGER with Neil Diamond!
chrissie>>BUSY WEEKEND?? mISS YOU!OR IS THIS A WEEKEND WITH FRIENDS?? i CANNOT KEEP UP WITH MY JET SETTERS HERE!
jODI SAYS HI AND IS SO PROUD OF ALLOF YOU AND DOES NOT KNOW HOW YOU STAY ON PLAY DAY IN AND OUT FOREVER! sHE DOES oops,,caps locked.. sorry...know who each of you are..of course, one is the garden gal, the bunny and Lep app lady, the biker chick, Jersey sunshine and her night time buddy with tennis elbow from the slots LOL!
ANDREAS is being treated like the roalty he is and well loved and spoiled.Perfect place for him, and of course SOMETHING AWESOME IS BEckham! Jodi just wants to ride him all day everyday. I am waiting to get on SOMETHING here! I think the 22 yr old mare Classy will be wonderful and perfect for me 2 old geriatric gals
It is HOT in here so I will head to the bed room..maybe play some solitaire first.If I lay down I know the shouder will begin to scream
G"NITE
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 05:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/157.1/139 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Good morning ladies!

Cricket you're right in the past we have all fallen down the "carb" whole together. Well since i'm on plan and back to the gym i'm gonna drag you fabulous women back on the right track with me. If we can do bad as a whole then we can do good as a whole! Let's do this!

Paulette I hope you're having a wonderful time with just you and your mom. See you later today!

Barb I didn't exercise in the beginning either. Actually I didn't really start exercising semi faithfully till I lost like 70 pounds and things started to "hang". Everyone has a faltering time but that was before we were the A-Team! Now we hold each other up and pull each other through the hard times so hold on to me and i'll drag you by your hair if needed to get you through this speed bump!!

Jodi dang you go speed demon! I hear you on the off plan eating. I definitely have more "off meals" now that i'm at goal than ever before. I guess we're both lucky we are able to reel ourselves back in rather quickly. I'm so happy you and Beckham found each other and I can't wait to meet him on my next visit!

Himi no doubt your little gain was just rehydration! I'm so glad you enjoyed your shrimp dish. I'm allergic so no shell fish for me and I hate mushrooms so no no no. I wonder if I could do a chicken Kale thingy like yours. How did you cook it?

Shout out to Chrissie! I hope you're having a fun weekend!

I am so glad i'm back to the gym. I have been fighting some serious depression in my head the last few days. I think the exercise is really helping. I'm so glad I have you ladies to talk to and share this journey with.

Whooshie wishes to all!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 07:40

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Paulette...........213.8.............213.8............208.8.......... ..5.0*

Himi.............12/26/14.........294.0.........08/29/15........210.9........83.1

Once again, no change for me. But that is much better than another gain!

I used Green Bay Packer colors today because we lost yesterday's game and need the team spirit before the season starts!!!!

It is nice to be with my Mom again. I stir-fried up a pan of fresh Green Peppers and tomatoes with Italian sausage and onions for her. Of course I had a bit. I am afraid the carbs may have been too high for me. Not used to eating 'maters and things. I do not have my ketostix with me but when I get home I will have to test and see if I screwed up. I hope they are still purple.

I can not start eating off my plan like this or I will pay for it! My weight has not changed, but that was to be expected. My cals were still under 1200, though, so I feel better about that. But I do not handle carbs well, and the whole thing makes me nervous.

CRICKET - OH, I feel so bad for you! Really, I do. Taking the Hydrocodone and the itchy skin it gives you, not to mention the constipation it causes! I hope using just Ibuprofin will help with your pain. I can understand your concern about gaining while you are trying to heal. And eating the icky vegetables!
I hope you start feeling normal so you can get back to a decent keto diet again!!!!! And finally ditch the prune juice! It is amazing how quickly weight can slap back on us when we deviate from our plan. Then we must re-lose. But you know what? You are doing a super job at trying to at least maintain a reasonable weight while incapacitated! I can't wait to see you a few weeks from now when you get back to basics and are zipping along in ketosis!

I am also one of those you mentioned who can not do net carbs. My body is very carb-sensitive and does best with super minimal. Stay optimistic, Cricky! I may stay in my holding pattern for a while as seems to be my trend of late, and I will be here waiting for you in my Mable Mobile. It is getting comfy in here. The cushions are taking the shape of my butt!

Speaking of the shape of butts, my Mom told me that I am looking skinnier than ever! I told her I am only about a lb less than when I last saw her, but she swears my butt looks even smaller! I think she was just being nice, as my pants fit the same on me. But it IS near the end of the month, and I need to take my measurements in a couple days, along with my monthly photo for the before/after. It will not look much different, but it is something I need to do. It keeps me motivated.

JODI - Congrats on whooshing away 5 freaking lbs!!!!! Wow! That is an awful lot in a day! Enjoy your big loss, your win, and your awesome horse!!!!

KATHY - Once again you are back in range. You are an incredible inspiration and proof that weight loss CAN be maintained. The key is to constantly WATCH it and treat it as if you are still trying to lose. You are proof of that. And that reminds me of something our beloved Dr. Atkins said in his book:

"Your attitude toward your own body makes a difference. Some people think that it’s their fate to be overweight. Not so. Nobody needs to be overweight. these pessimists are the victims of a misconception. They think you can be on a diet part of the time and stay slim. They go away to a spa or a diet camp or they go on Metrecal for a while and feel that should take off the weight and solve the problems. That’s not how a lifetime problem is solved. I constantly have to remind my patients that taking the weight off is not the objective; keeping it off is. …"

”As long as you look upon being off your diet as a part of your future plans, you will never solve your weight problem. This can only happen when you accept the reality that if you have a weight problem for life, you must stay on a diet for life.”

Dr. Atkins, on the subject of Maintenance (pg 286):

"Q. Once I get the weight off and am a normal person again, why can't I maintain this normal weight by merely eating normally?

A. Because you only look normal; inside your body is the same metabolic abnormality that made you overweight in the first place. This, by the way, is one of the key points of the whole book."

(pg 261):

"The main change that has to be made is in your head. Success in maintaining your trim figure and your zest for living is guaranteed if you can achieve this radical change in your thinking.

If you have a chronic weight problem it is essential to totally accept, fully understand that your fat is one symptom of a lifetime disease. Your metabolizing processes are and always will tend to be abnormal. Yes, even if you get slim and stay slim.

Many medical studies have shown that the biochemical responses of a formerly overweight person, such as the excessive insulin release when carbohydrates are eaten, are still quite different from a never-overweight person. In other words, you cannot eat what normal people eat and expect to stay thin."

Those are some powerful words. They pound the truth into my head and verify what I always knew to be truth: I must always be on a diet if I want to be a person with a "normal" body size.

BARB - You are welcome to join me on my carousel ride, but I hope you do not stay long! Going round and round gets boring. I hope you can find your head back in the game as you said.

HIMI - I hope you are feeling better today! It was strange to hear how sick you got the other day. Your loss held a bit, and that is great. I hope today you can lose that tiny upswing again to hold the lowest weight! Good luck!

I will stop back later to see what is up. And let you all know what the ketostix say. My carbs were 17 yesterday and that is FAR too high for me!!!!!!! Today is a near zero day with higher fat, so I can hold onto my ketosis. I hope we all have a great day! Bye!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 08:57
Registered Member

BF:

PAULETTIPUSS~~~ what a great post and ty for your reminders about the DANDR philosphy. It is as when a person has a chronic diesease.. one that has a lifetime history and is not going away..when you have DM1 /juvinile diabetes etc... medications are needed to live well and have a "normal" life. It is not cureable but it IS treatable! We have broken metabolisms.We can support it and care ofr it and it will respond well, but if we go back to old habits, we get back our old bodies.Pretty simple to "know" but harder to live.SO, TY!
You might just be surprised at the tape numbers! My losses showed in spurts.I was the same size for a while and then suddenly all fell off me
I am back on plan now.Like you, the carbs are needed to be low. Cals cannever be high for me from what I can tell. I was in range for quite a while until harvest time in fact, so I know it is easily managed ith the way we do it here.
KATHY.. I'm grabing on as well. no hair pulling! I think you need to be a JERRY'S KID POSTER GAL! We always see the little kids in decline. Here you are.. long diagnosed and fought to show the health care professionals that the ATKIN'S plan can work for a person with your health challenges.You thrive on this. MAYBE there should be more out there for others in your situation! GO FIND 'EM and educate them!
HIMI.. that was a blip not a gain.You just got a pebble in yor shoe from the road is all ..How is the little spotted princess doing? What is her name? I hope she is doing well. I think we may have her as a mascot! We had a pup in the past that was a team member with his own site journal and all! Old timers may recall ACE ( I forgot what the letters stood for but ATKINS was the theme lol)

The Merry-go-round needs to have a rest.GOING in circles not for us. Short tours in the MABLE MOBILE is a nice rest though
Today is a good day to get the walking shoes on and have a hike up Magic Mountain to the SPLASH AND SLIDE
BARB>>> hope you are having the great weather we are having here. THe bikers have been active lately. Looks like an early winter may be in the forcast.I have the draft curtains ready to put up to keep the heat in this room.

I did have the 3 egg 'n cheese deal and am quite thirsty from the sodium in the cheese so drinks are on me
Now to drag myself into the shower and keep fingers crossed. Carl was to help me BUT>>> so I might as well try it solo. He has his usual HONEY DO list.Now the water tank at Jodi's place needs a new meter thingy.ALWAYS something needing repairs here.
Off I go to the shower and to get my movies for the day lined up
SORRY about the Packers game Paulettie ALABAMA plays their first game next week. ROLL TIDE
BBL..oh down 1 even for me
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 08:59
Registered Member

BF:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cricket............158.0..............157.0............153.0............ 4.0*

TOTAL LOSSES

#8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 10:15

BF:

The leaves are starting to turn colors here. We are promised a nice week of sun and 80's, but fall is around the very corner for us. Soon my pool will come down. Seems like I barely got to use it.

Tuna & mayo for me today. I am turning into a tuna with mayo.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:

would someone please edit chart for me for Jodi? her weight today is down to 140.5. That leaves her with 4.5 to go BACK to bed.no meds but ice pakcs work too. will have tilapia instead of tuna for dinner.
PAULETTIE>>> green leafy hair and now gills? At least if you do turn into tuna your net will be dolphin safe?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 16:38

BF:

Jodi................141.0...............140.5............136.0... ......4.5*

TOTAL LOSSES

UPDATE FOR JODI.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 17:24

BF:

Just tested with a ketositck. Purple. So I must be doing something right. I guess the carbs were not too high for me afterall...

#12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 17:27

Stats: 235/157.1/139 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Kathy~~~~ Maintenance Goal...130.0-139.9~~~~137.5* In Range!!

TOTAL LOSSES

BBL
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 17:40

Stats: 212.0/175.0/145 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Barb...............175.9...............175.7.............170.9......... 4.8*

Kathy~~~~ Maintenance Goal...130.0-139.9~~~~137.5* In Range!!

TOTAL LOSSES

Down a little bit, but still a way to go to get back to my low of 173.0. Back to work tomorrow and going to try to walk 30 minutes a day this week.

Last edited by kosmo1014 : Sun, Aug-30-15 at 17:46.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 18:10

Plan: Atkins72, mostly
Stats: 294/178.6/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Himi...............210.9.................210.8............205.9......... 4.9*

TOTAL LOSSES

Pretty much the same today, but thats fine, as I suspected the big drop was not all due to fat/weight loss!

Baby filly is doing well! She has steadfastly refused any type of milk replacer-- liquid, powder, pellet-- but she is eating Equine Junior and hay with gusto. She will be 2 months old next week, and although she lost some weight initially and looked a little weedy for awhile, it appears she is now regaining. She has also started wearing a halter for awhile each day when I am out doing chores, and has had a couple leading lessons. I will try to get some new pics of her this week for you all
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-30-15, 18:29

Stats: 212.0/175.0/145 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Kathy: Great job in getting back in range so quickly. I usually do try to exercise when trying to lose weight just because I sit all day at work, and at 55, I know I need to do some work to try to get the skin tightened up a little. However, I haven't done much this summer. My "PT" husband has always been big on exercise and will probably encourage me to do it if he knows I'm planning on starting it this week.. Every time I start complaining about gaining or not losing, he always asks me how much I exercised?

Paulette: Purple has always been my favorite color but it looks even better on that keto stick! I can rarely get it that dark even with limited or no carbs. Steelers also lost big time yesterday....like 40 something to 16. They already have some injuries and at least one player who's suspended for the first couple of games. Not sure why they can't behave!

Jodi: You're still losing! Way to keep it moving. So glad you made the right choice in purchasing Beckman and that you are enjoying him.

Cricket: August was a really nice month weather wise and the weekends have been really nice. I still need to get caught up on some work and was hoping for a rainy day at some point so I could get a work day in on a weekend when its quiet and no one's there. But the weekends have been beautiful and it's hard to go in to work when you know winter is coming soon. Saw 2 groups of geese flying south already and some of the leaves are starting to change, so it won't be long.

Hope your pain is tolerable!!! You are right that we need to pull this together and start losing. I'm starting fresh this week and I hope we all see success!

Himi: Hope you are totally better and seeing a loss!

Chrissie: Hope all is well with you. I think you said you had a weekend with friends so, hopefully, it was an enjoyable weekend!
Closed Thread