Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 12:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Diet Linked to Disorder in Children

Diet Linked to Disorder in Children

Prepared Foods May 10, 2005 enewsletter

Diets high in processed foods are causing bad behavior and learning difficulties in children, scientists in the U.K. warned.

They said “junk” food prevents the brain from working properly, leading to underachievement and a host of disorders. Such foods not only lack the vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids that boost brain power but actually reduce the body's uptake of nutrients that improve concentration, the study found.

Thousands of children given medication to combat attention deficit disorder might be better off simply improving their diet, according to the research.

The Oxford University study showed that giving children essential fats found in fish and nuts could improve their brain power.

Their ability to learn was increased and their behavior dramatically improved by supplementing their diets with such fats.

Startling results in children who were underachieving and in some cases being disruptive were recorded after just three months.

The study involved more than 100 British children battling with physical coordination problems.

They were given daily supplements rich in omega-3 essential fats that are vital for brain development but have been reduced in the typical diet over the last couple of decades.

In the study, around 40% of children given omega-3 supplements made dramatic improvements in reading and spelling.

There was also a significant improvement in concentration and behavior, according to a report in this month's issue of the American journal Pediatrics.

Researchers were led by Dr. Alexandra Richardson, from Oxford University's department of physiology.

“What we've shown is that you can improve behavior and learning with these oils,” she said.

“Food affects behavior. To ignore the role of nutrition is indefensible. If you paid attention to diet, you could really make a difference.”

Patrick Holford, who runs the Brain Bio Centre which tackles mental health problems through nutrition, said, 'We're seeing outrageous imbalances in brain chemistry caused by the kinds of foods that sadly millions of kids are eating, and no one's doing anything about it.

“These kids are digging their own graves with a knife and fork. We know some fats found in processed and fried foods should be avoided.

“However, there are other fats that are essential, and a deficiency can negatively impact a child's behavior.”

The study involved 117 children aged five to 12 in schools in County Durham.

The children were of normal ability but underachieving and suspected of having dyspraxia, a condition that affects coordination. It is thought to affect at least 5% of British pupils.

Even greater numbers have learning and behavioral disorders, such as dyslexia and attention deficit hypercomparedactivity disorder. Half the children were given omega-3 essential fats capsules for three months, while the remainder were given “dummy” treatment with capsules of olive oil.

Those on omega-3s made up to 10 months' progress in reading in three months, with those taking olive oil who made normal progress.

When the children swapped treatments, there was a similar jump forward for those transferred to omega-3s for the second three-month period.

After three months on the supplements, half showed such improvement they were no longer classified as having problems.

In some cases, children improved their reading age by up to four years.

Richardson, who is also co-director of the Food and Behaviour Research charity, said unhealthy dietary fats can actually displace the healthy fats in the brain.

Known as trans fats, they are mostly found in processed foods such as chips, cookies and cakes. Many teenagers get 40% of their calories from fat. The researchers are worried that such poor diets could permanently damage brain development.

http://www.preparedfoods.com/CDA/Ar...,151120,00.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 15:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Every school board member and the USDA food pyramid people should be required to read the research article. To me, this explains why ADD children were not around when I was in school and they are a major percentage of school children now.

Serve fish in the schools.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 16:29
bl8r

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I agree, my sister was diagnosed with ADD in 1976, back then they just called it hyperactivity.....the doctors wanted to pump her full of Ritalin, but my mom said it made her act like a zombie, so she tried the Dr. Feingold diet, and it was like magic. The basic idea was to cut out artifical flavors, colors, preservatives and certain acids found in some fruits. This eliminated almost ALL junk food, so my sister had a very healthy diet. She has never had a weight problem either, I was the one who ate all the junk food, and now that we're in our 30's, I'm the one who's unhealthy.

It is no wonder kids have trouble learning and concentrating when their bodies are overflowing with chemicals! Think of the average kid's daily fare, when I looked at what I had been feeding my own kids (stuff they like and will eat) I was shocked to see how much junk they actually ate every day. Just little things like puddings and chips as snacks in their lunchbox, washed down with some sugary juicebox drink....how can growing minds work on that?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 16:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I agree. My parents raised me on garbage and the concequence for me was PCOS and borderline diabetes. Now their foster child is doped up on ritalin, clonidine, and prozac. He eats nothing but carb-age. I would bet every last dollar to my name that he'd see a massive improvement if they'd just cut the processed carbage and feed him actual food.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 19:19

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's amazing to me that this information is not considered self-evident...good ole common-sense. Any parent of young children will recognize sugar-rush when they see one. Yet somehow, the sugar/junk food and ADD connection is never made. I hate to sound like one of those conspiracy nut, but it sure is convenient for the Ritalin pushers isn't it?

Funny how they have been hitting us over the head with the anti (sat) fat message, yet can't seem to bring themselves to come out with an anti-sugar message. Lobbying at work? I wonder if there actually would ever have been an low fat craze had the lobbyist involved had more power?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 19:33

Plan: SugarBusters
Stats: 298/198/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I can only wish that the school district/board would pay attention to this kind of research!

I had to put my son on medication for his ADHD because the school refuses to cut out the processed crap for lunches and snacks! My son is completely controllable through diet but will they listen? NO not even when the pediatrician sends a specific diet for him! *ok, calming down, rant mode off*
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 19:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

I agree with the article. Getting kids (and adults) to eat real vitamin rich whole foods should be a self evident goal.

It is somewhat ironic that this article was published in "Prepared (read processed) Food" magazine. This publication and its sister magazine "Food Engineering" seem to promote anything but real food.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 22:27

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

What I want to know is how they got kids to take the supps? My 6 1/2 year old grand daughter won't swallow pills and it is a huge battle. They must have used flax seed oil too...can you imagine getting kids to take fish oil?

Val
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 22:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

There is a member or two on this board who uses low carb diet to help keep their ADHD under control. My son is ADHD he has not been medicated in 5 years. He continues to eat bad things but the good outweighs the bad.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 07:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
In the study, around 40% of children given omega-3 supplements made dramatic improvements in reading and spelling.

Which means that 60% (the majority) didn't. This is one piece of the puzzle, but it's not the only piece. Most kids would definitely benefit from a healthier diet higher in vegetables and fruits and low in junk food, but I think we need to be careful of the thinking that says, "If only these people would feed their kids properly, all would be well."
I tried the diet and omega 3 supplements with my daughter for nearly a year with only minor improvements before deciding to try medication.
BTW...if a child is a 'zombie' on medication, the dosage is too high.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Every single school board member knows this stuff. It's not a question of knowing, accepting and implementing policy to provide better food to kids. It's a question of money.

There is a pretty well-established rule at the federal and state levels that prisoners and schoolchildren must be fed the cheapest food possible.