Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 06:44

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default L-Glutamine question.

Directions: Stir one (1) heaped teaspoon (4.5g) into 250 ml of water or your favourite beverage one to two times daily. Take one hour before a workout. DO NOT EXCEED STATED DOSE.

I made the print large on that bit because that is the bit confusing me... this seems like very little compared to what I read here... and I have also read to take it AFTER a workout.... what is the deal guys???
Doods.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 14:34

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%

I read at supplementwatch.com that a study was done says
Quote:
Glutamine supplements are well tolerated at levels up to at least 20 grams per day and intakes of as much as 40 grams per day should induce no significant adverse effects outside of mild gastrointestinal discomfort.
I personally take about 3 heaped tsp (~15g) per day before and after my workout and before bed. I haven't had any problems so far. I take more when I feel more sore (usually after changing exercises).

Check out that website.

Last edited by Niky Brady : Mon, May-06-02 at 14:39.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 19:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Niky has given you the info on the quantities, the times should be as follow: After your workout and before bed. You want the glutamine to be available to your muscles after you've worked them, when it is needed, so they do not have to draw on other muscles for a supply. Because glutamine is important in the manufacture of human growth hormone, and since this happens while you are sleeping, providing your body with a good dose before you head to bed is the best bet. It also ensures that while you fast overnight there is an abundant supply of glutamine for your muscles.

HTH, Doods
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 19:56

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Unhappy Okay, it's my turn to be confused...

The glutamine supplement I have (the canister's right here in front of me) is a cherry-flavored powder meant to be mixed with 5oz of water. The "dose" is "1 rounded scoop (5.9g)" which contains 2.5g of L-Glutamine, the rest of the stuff being the "base" for lack of a better word.

So, am I to understand that I need to take somewhere around 7-8 scoops of this stuff, in order to get my +/- 15g of glutamine I need per day? The label says take 1 or 2 servings daily....

Why can't this be simple? I like simple...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 09:15
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Apparently, yes, you need to take 4-6 scoops per day to get 10-15 g.

Here's what I do.... I buy just the regular, straight glutamine from GNC and I mix 1 heaping tsp. in with my shakes.....along with my flax oil, water and ice. I can't taste it! Or if I'm not having a shake, I just mix it with about 6 oz of Crystal Light. You can even mix it in a bottle of water (that I'm sure you're carrying around with you all day!) and you can just barely taste it....it's not unpleasant, you just know it's there.

That's simple, isn't it?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 17:05

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Unhappy It *would* be, but....

as I said, I couldn't find any of the "plain" glutamine. All they had at my GNC was this odd effervescent cherry-flavored mix. I can't put *that* in a shake, the blender will go through the ceiling!

I suppose then I'll just have to make MEGA glassfuls of it, to get the 15g.... ::sigh::
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Default 15g per day? Or 15g per serving?

Hello, all!

I am currently following Protein Power principles (foodwise) and BFL for all else. (Love it!)

I am currently taking BetaGen 3 times per day. From reading this forum, I have realized that BetaGen will not provide enough Glutamine for me. However, I am confused as to what quantity I should be taking. In the book, Bill said that he only takes BetaGen, but I am more interested in what is working for you, my LC brothers and sisters...

Should I be aiming for a total of 15g Glutamine per day? Or 15g Glutamine per serving: 15 g before workout, 15g after workout and 15g before bed.

Thanks!
Trilbe
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:51

BF:

Suggestions on how much glutamine you need vary pretty widely. I tend to use between 10 and 20g a day - depending on how hard I've worked out, how healthy I am feeling and what season it is (we take more during cold and flu seaon).

The best times to take your glutamine are after a workout - to replentish levels and before bed, as glutamine plays a part in the release of HGH (human growth hormone).

HTH
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:02

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 208/195/160
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Confused about Glutamine

I know it has probably been answered before, but I cannot find it - what are the effects of glutamine?

My friend said it would make me gain weight and retain water.

I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or not, but I'm scared to take anything that might make me gain.

Please help!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:13

BF:

Garbo, sounds like your friend is talking about creatine - which causes muscles to hold on to water, plumping them up. Glutamine will not do this.

You can read all about the uses of glutamine here

HTH
Nat
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:17

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 208/195/160
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for your fast response!

You are a great help at trying to figure all this stuff out!