Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 13:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Comfort Drink?

Sometimes, particularly on a cold evening I would love to have a comforting drink. A hot chocolate substitute. I have tried cocoa with some cream but I don't like the cream part, it makes me gag!! Don't know why, I used to like it but now take my coffee black as I can't stand cream or milk in it.
You know, the kind of drink where you sit in a lovely comfy seat, feet up with a lovely mug of ???
Have so far tried it with tea, black coffee, the cocoa, bouillon but nothing hits the spot. Don't like fruity teas.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 15:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

If you like coconut milk, it's a great base to add many flavors. You can even make the drink thicker by adding coconut cream. Trader Joe's has both. Sometimes I'll make a drink with coconut milk, coconut cream, a handful of almonds, some chia seeds, a dash of unsweetened vanilla, some Sweetleaf stevia, and blend it all together. Good stuff! I can make the same base drink with many different combinations including cocoa, any choice of berries, or something else. Hope this offers an alternative, as I sometimes I don't feel like adding HWC either.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 15:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

ooh, that coconut milk idea is great- i think i will try it with vanilla extract and cinnamon/torani sf vanilla syrup.

OP- if you don't like fruity teas, have you tried chai or peppermint? chai can be made with milk/milk sub or without. i like both.

also sometimes i like heating up a milk sub (usually cashew or coconut) with pureed/canned pumpkin, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg, vanilla extract and a touch of salt. the flavor is similar to pumpkin pie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 15:29

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

There are lots of different teas that are not fruity. My favorite comfort teas are Mint (Bigelows Mint medley is xtra good), pumpkin spice, different types of chai, there is a vanilla rooibos at Bulk Barn that is very tasty. Sometimes I have these with cream, or coconut milk, or blended with butter or coconut oil to thicken them up.
I also put cocoa powder right in my coffee or tea with some cream - delicious, and better than "plain"!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 16:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have you tried watering down the cream with water?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 19:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I love brewing chocolate. A well-known brand is Crio Bru.

It's great!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 21:14

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I know you said fruity teas are out, but I have a friend pick up this Hot and Spicy tea at the wholesale place... I love it!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 23:45

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

GRB your drink sounds great, I'll have to try that!

Robin, how much pumpkin do you add to your cashew milk for your drink(I'm a fan of it alone, heated with the Sweet Leaf toffee stevia)?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 02:03

BF:

Gosh thank you for the amazing ideas. I really thought I had considered every low carb option!
GRB511 that sounds like a wonderful combination. Living in the UK I'm not sure if I can access those particular ingredients. I have noticed almond milk locally I wonder if I should try that heated up. Strangely, never considered heating up those types of milk before.
Love the idea of a thicker drink that tastes like pumpkin pie Robin, not sure if we can get chia seeds here. Do you eat them raw, what do they taste like?
Actually I have in the past put a little cocoa in my coffee when I used to have a some cream with it, but now I'm wondering if I could try that without the cream. Maybe coffee, cocoa and some of the milks that have been suggested.
Brewing chocolate gosh that's completely new Crio Bru, not a brand I've seen over here. Sort of pleased that I have got myself away from sweet flavours and chocolate substitutes. I can cope with really strong cocoa but am wary that anything remotely sweet will set off cravings!
Hot and spicy sounds delicious and in the daytime would be a good option to ring the changes.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
GRB your drink sounds great, I'll have to try that!

Robin, how much pumpkin do you add to your cashew milk for your drink(I'm a fan of it alone, heated with the Sweet Leaf toffee stevia)?

2 tbsp per 8-10oz nut milk. i love it!
you can also freeze the pumpkin in ice cube trays, and then lend with milk sub and spices/extracts/sweetener for a pumpkin spice "frappucino."
i like to add creamcheese for a pumpkin cheesecake shake- add 1/4 cup egg beaters (since they are pasteurized) for my favorite smoothie.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 18:57

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

My hot drink of choice, at any time of day, is hot, unsweetened, black tea. But another one I have been making on cold winter evenings lately is Turmeric Milk. When DH wants cocoa I will make this for me. I started because of the health benefits - turmeric is a wonderful anti inflammatory - but continue because it is so nice.
I use whole cow's milk, but nut milks would no doubt also be good. I add various warm spices: black pepper (works synergistically with turmeric), ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, and turmeric of course (any or all of these spices - really I only consider the turmeric, pepper, and ginger to be non-negotiable). I use whole spices, because I have them, crack them up a little in a mortar, but I wold think that powdered spices would also be good. I heat the milk to just below boiling, take it off the heat, and let the spices steep for awhile, an hour or two if I thought about it early enough. With powdered spices the steeping shouldn't be necessary. Strain as needed, re-heat as needed, and enjoy.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 19:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

verbena, thanks so much for reminding me about turmeric milk. I'm coming down with a cold and forgot how good this can be when you're getting a chill. Your preparation is elegant, I usually just stir in some powdered turmeric in milk or half-and-half and sprinkle with cinnamon.

MDS has a recipe with almond/coconut milk and more info about this drink: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crea.../#axzz3xB3ldK2d
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 06:13

BF:

That drink with turmeric sounds delicious. I really must get some. Sometimes I think ginger stimulates my appetite but maybe just a tiny bit would do.
When I was little, we were on a dairy farm and used lots of milk. Mum used to make barley soup! Really just gently cooking the pearl barley in milk with a little butter, salt and pepper. We all loved it, my DH thinks it is disgusting. Haven't made it for years. So to be able to make a slightly similar drink would be divine. I can't wait to buy some almond milk.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 10:10

BF:

years ago when starbucks came out with it's green tea frappes and lattes, i was tempted, but stayed strong
on the radio, this morning they were discussing foods trends for 2016, and matcha green tea powder was mentioned. in whole foods, i checked, and sure enough i finally found a can!
score, will report back on how it works
i used to absolutely love a green tea icecream, so hoping it tastes like that.
i plan to dissolve it in steamed cashew milk, and add sf torani vanilla syrup.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 12:22

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
years ago when starbucks came out with it's green tea frappes and lattes, i was tempted, but stayed strong
on the radio, this morning they were discussing foods trends for 2016, and matcha green tea powder was mentioned. in whole foods, i checked, and sure enough i finally found a can!
score, will report back on how it works
i used to absolutely love a green tea icecream, so hoping it tastes like that.
i plan to dissolve it in steamed cashew milk, and add sf torani vanilla syrup.

That has potential! Let us know how it plays out.