Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 182.5/180.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%

well, if low carb depletes energy, then I wonder how I was a competitive boxer and a marathon biker? I wish I'd known I wasn't supposed to have energy ;o)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 15:37

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

I guess I've been too fatigued to go to all those kung-fu classes for 1 and 1/2 hours at a time, 5 days a week!

Oh, wait....
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-06, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/m+e
Stats: 185/174/130 Female 174cms
BF:36%
Progress: 20%

Wow! For a doctor, this guy sure has NO idea... *sigh* Nothing annoys me more then misinformation. Anyway here are some of my comments (numbers corresponds with those in the article)

1 - Actually, as we all know, when carbs are removed from the diet, so are the cravings for them. Plus the protein fills you up so end-of-day eating/bingeing is less likely – this coming from someone previously Bulimic-NP, by the way...
2 - I love that he doesn’t mention this in context. I have hypoglycemia but eating low carb means I don’t get spikes/drops in my blood sugar levels like I used to!!! My BGL has never been so stable!
(People are meant to believe what this guy says? He cant even SPELL!!! – losing, not LOOsing!)
3 - Um, right. Eating something that boosts your blood sugar levels then makes them drop is meant to be good for exercise, but something which releases energy at a steady rate and helps build muscle is bad? Where the hell did this guy get his PhD??? By the way..."since the 1930’s"? Just a tad outdated!!!
4 - I’d sure as hell rather have stinky breath for a little while than be fat for the rest of my life!!! And what about all those people who are lactose intolerant, or celiacs? Are they meant to turn vegetarian?(let's not go there lol)
5 - Test anyone on these forums and you will see that ACTUALLY low carb tends to LOWER LDL levels. And while he is whingeing about having iron levels too high, I want to know what percentage of the worlds population is anemic(sp?) or mildly iron-deficient. My bet is it’s a far more significant figure!!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-06, 19:32
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

HA! Well I have my own list of 10 best reasons why a low carb diet is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

10. If I eat low-fat/high-carb and stay fat, I can insist those around me be my servants (due to my obese helplessness) the rest of my natural life. Low carb has already dropped 85 pounds off me in 3 months. Not only do I not require someone else do my shopping now, I actually FEEL like doing it myself. Low-carb has already deprived me of some of my life of ease. They never warned me about this.

9. Thanks to lowcarb wiping out my acid reflux, I no longer am forced to sleep sitting up, and no longer wake up several times a night, staying up for hours. Do you have any idea how much email I'm not getting done that I used to? I know my dear family misses terribly my 3am tomes about the most miniscule details of my thoughts about my life. This is sure to cause a great rift between us any minute now. The bonds of family are precious, and low carb is ruining it for me by letting me sleep blissfully through the night! Just one more nasty side effect those lowcarbers never warn you about.

8. Now that I eat lots of protein, avoid starches and carby stuff it turns out I'm mildly sensitive to, and I stay in benign dietary ketosis all the time ("BDK" for short, or, "It isn't diabetic ketoacidosis you moron" for long), I find my desire to eat useless junkfoods that I loved but helped me weigh nearly 500lbs has gone away. No more am I gasping like a heroin addict getting a fix with the milk carton at 2am. No longer am I eating enough carbs in pasta to overdose a marathoner and still knock me out from the blood sugar drop a short time later. But do we not call on God to help us fight such trials? Lowcarb has already come between me and my Divine Pleading by making it easy for me to eat healthy food all on my own. Lowcarbers hide the spiritual risks or nobody would dare try this. We're talkin' about the fate of your SOUL, man.

7. Recently I discovered that having mental clarity all day during my job went a long way toward hearing and understanding what everybody around me was saying -- and sometimes, not saying. Did anybody ask me if I REALLY wanted to know that kind of information? Did it not occur to anybody that "ignorance is bliss," and that being a space cadet has been proven to lower job stress? Sure, I'll lose weight and be healthier but what if I die of the added stress that "comprehension" of what my boss wants has forced on me? Yes, it's these kind of insidious little things that those fad lowcarbers will never tell the newbies.

6. Last week I was traveling, and as I noted in my blog, a young cabbie spent half my taxi ride making eyes at me and suggesting he liked "big women." Had I not felt friendly and energetic and, may I add, had lowcarb not restored my complexion to its former healthy glow, I seriously doubt I would have been faced with this kind of ten-minute-temptation. Do people really understand what kind of danger to a married woman lowcarbing could be? There may come a day when people actually look at me without sneering, looking away, or bursting into uncontrollable laughter. This could definitely loosen my morals in a matter of minutes just from the novelty of it, frankly. And do you suppose this constant challenge to Moral Integrity is ever mentioned by lowcarbers? Nooooo. You'd think people ALWAYS looked and felt better and it was no issue at all. Well I disagree. People considering lowcarb should be warned of this potential!

5. Now that I have more energy, my child is getting to bed on time more often, and my husband is actually having to answer for having a relationship. Neither of them are particularly happy about this. I find the better I feel about myself, the more I actually expect other people to treat me decently. This kind of imbalanced lack of subservience on my part is causing all kinds of ripples in my life. Family strife! Social dissent! Lowcarb actually reminded me I was worth something and had the right to make my life what I want it to be. I'm sure my more dysfunctional family members would like to 'deprogram' me from this lowcarb cult so they could live comfortably with me being appropriately yet quietly miserable. Yet another wide-reaching side effect that few people ever mention when discussing carb counts.

4. Since going on lowcarb, I actually wake up in the morning. I don't feel like I am 20,000 leagues under the sea anymore. I am even capable of getting up and functioning without a major injection of some kind of drug like caffeine. The water drop and weight loss has made me more limber, and I move around a lot less like Frankenstein or Egor than I used to. My shift into being a bit more of a morning person has grossly offended my family, my coworkers, and all eight (!) of my cats. Do other eating plans cause this kind of interpersonal contention? I think not. Lowcarb ought to come with a warning label.

3. Now that I eat lowcarb, I'm ingesting more vegetables than I ever have in my life. I've begun depending a lot on my garden for fresh vegetables and strawberries and scallions on demand. Thanks to low carb, Walmart is making that much less money off my shopping every week. Does nobody even care about the impact that more financial self-sufficiency and healthier food might have if everyone ate like that? How many jobs could be lost just because of millions of backyard chili peppers? Our country's economy depends on us to buy Mac & Cheese, McDonald's and deep-fried Fish & Chips! (Not to mention our medical industry's financial well-being.) Lowcarb must be downright un-patriotic.

2. With all my sudden added energy and enthusiasm, I have begun to think about sex a LOT more. A lot. More. Do I really need to elaborate here. Baby you just have NO idea. Nobody ever warned me that eating steak and eggs instead of fruit loops would turn me into a brazen hussy. (Maybe it was really The Forbidden Steak all along. Which would explain people complaining that the opposite sex is often perceived as meat.) Did I mention... a LOT more? Maybe I should have made this reason #1. (LD where are you when I need you?)

1. Assuming I continue this questionably-sane eating plan known as lowcarb, there's a very real possibility that, just as my doctor warned me, down the road, I might actually live to see my little girl grow up. I might not keel over dead before she's 12. I might not even develop any major diseases. I might, while we're on that subject, actually live long enough to have her bad mouthing me as a teen -- or, heaven forbid, pawning her squalling little babies off on me someday. That's a whole lot of life and stress between then and now that I'm probably going to have to put up with, since DYING becomes so much less an option, short of swan-diving into traffic, the longer I low carb.

Let this list serve as a warning to all.

ha. I think I may post that on my blog actually.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 14:14

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

PJ, you're a wonderful writer. I've bookmarked your blog, and look forward to reading the continuing story of your low-carb journey.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 14:24

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Right now, You rock baby!!! That was awesome and congrats on your amazing weight loss!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 14:33
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
Nobody gets that ketosis is a temporary effect. Eventually the body develops the enzymes needed to completely metabolize ketone bodies. People get frantic when they no longer get the purple color on their urostix, not realizing they've transitioned into complete fat metabolism, not the partial metabolism that forms ketones.

When does this happen? I've been doing this 8.5 months and still see purple (when I bother to check anymore).

Anyway, my cholesterol has dropped all my chemistries have improved (my blood calcium levels are high now than the very low levels they were when I was eating high carb. If I don't eat this way - I just eat junk period. I don't see an alternative. I think I will live a bit longer eating this way than the way I used to.....duh.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-06, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Let this list serve as a warning to all.
OMG your list is an absolute riot. Help! Help! We're all going to die!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-06, 17:57

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:

Rightnow - stop low carbing right now - you are killing us all with laughter!!!!!! Brilliant post.....

<wipes tears from eyes>

Julie
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-06, 18:25

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

rightnow, you are my hero.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-06, 19:26

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I'm saving that top ten to hand out to all kinds of "friends" who bad-mouth our WOE! As I'm typing this, the TV news is announcing an up-coming story on "the battle of the bulge" - it'll be interesting (or not!) to hear what they have to say. Any bets???

Glenda
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-06, 19:41

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
As I'm typing this, the TV news is announcing an up-coming story on "the battle of the bulge" - it'll be interesting (or not!) to hear what they have to say. Any bets??? Glenda

Well, it turned out to be the effect some meds have on weight gain and (of course) they recommended eating lower fat and fewer calories! When will they learn that those recommendations are what got us here in the first place!!????

I'm old enough that I actually think I remember when the so-called experts decided that fat was bad! About the same time they brought out margarine (white, with a little yellow pill you could squeeze and work around to color it like butter). We lived on a small farm and my mom and aunts all knew that butter was better, whole milk was for drinking (skim was for feeding the piglets) and if you wanted to lose weight you cut out starches and sugars, and there wasn't anything resembling an obesity epidemic!! This was back in the 1940's. I haven't checked the history of the low fat fad, but that's how I remember it!

Is it maybe time for a swing of the pendulum? Sorry - didn't mean to subject you all to a trip down memory lane!

Glenda
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-12-06, 20:15
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thanks you guys. Funny thing is the forum didn't show me new messages on that thread and I thought 'wow, that went over like a lead balloon!' until today. LOL.

There can never be too much humor in the world, even if it sometimes has to be droll.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 09:28

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:

Glenda, a trip down memory lane is EXACTLY what many docs and so-called nutritionists need! You go girl!

Julie
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
It's amazing to me the amount of babble people put down as fact without one shred of evidence...
they just like to see their font in print