Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 09:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Mens Club? Anyone? For Support not as an Exclusive club.

Just a thought but I think it might be good to have a mens LC support network. I am by no means trying to set up some exclusive mens club, but rather a forum for men to stop by and get some support from the guy's. I'm sure I could use any extra support and in turn could offer my own. I am commited to LC and plan on being HERE for a long time so why not make some friends. I'm not trying to lose 100lbs and I'm not 20lbs from my goal and I've not "Fallen down and can't get up" but I am a commited LC Guy. We all have that in common.
So what do you all think we'll probably never be memebers of Pebble Beach Country Club but we can have a forum to go to.

If this post has caught your eye and you are reading it now how about posting your thoughts.

Thanks

Shane aka...MaineDaddy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 14:17

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Men's Room

Y'know, the subject of a men's group has been raised several times in the past, and I've always replied that I rather like the diversity of the entire group when it comes to LC discussions.

But I feel differently about it today. Why not a men's group? I continually find new guys posting in the journals that I have never met, so I think having us all under one roof and comparing notes is a fine idea. I'm actually really curious to see how many of us there are in this forum now...

I'll help spread the word. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 16:31

Default thanks for the positive words

Thanks Donald.

I was unsure what sort of reception this would get. As I said before it was not my aim to be exclusive but just to have a place to "hang out with the guys". If we can generate some interest and meet new people thats what its all about.

So If you are lurking out there introduce yourself.

For those of you interested I'll introduce myself. I'm Shane aka MaineDaddy and you guessed it I live here on the coast of Maine. Right now I wish I lived anywhere but here as the temps are at all time lows. I got up this morning and it was -15 farenheit and the wind was howling. There are wind chill warnings for -40 and I spent part of the day thawing out some frozen water pipes.
Anyhow enough about the weather. I am a part time stay at home dad (SAHD) and I have two beautiful daughters. Two and four years old. When I am not at home with them I am a Painting contractor. I keep very busy in the warm months and run a full crew while still staying with my girls most of the week. Thankfully my wife has the real job with benifits so everything works out well.

I have been LC for five weeks now and I feel great. I've done all my losing so far in my first two weeks. I am focusing on regular exercise including weight training(a first for me) and waiting for the stall to end. I figure if I keep a positive attitude while waiting for things to pick up again I'll make it to the next loss much easier.

Hobbies-
I like to work in the yard/garden as well as go fishing when I can. I like hiking, running, and biking unfortunatly I have not done these things much in the last ten years!!LOL!! I also have a soft spot for Brittish cars. I currently have a 1968 MGB convertable in the garrage...another reason I wish the weather would warm up LOL.

Well that is a little about myself so again if you are lurking come on in and introduce yourself. You are welcome.

Thanks
Shane
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 18:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%

I agree it's a good idea, The previous discussion we had a while back:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=31466

was a bit different than this thread. I started that thread based on a couple of suggestions I received, and it was voted down But an open thread here in the buddeis area should work out fine as a gathering place.

There are quite a few men around, and they seem to disappear after a while, and we quite often get the question, are there any men around here? It's usually asked by men. Here's a recent thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=86167

And, BTW, I'm a guy who might have reconsidered using a different username, other than Tamarian from ST TNG, to avoid being confused for a "Tammy".

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 19:14

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

I have been reading the book by Allan & Barbara Pease...
" Why men don't listen..... and women can't read maps"

Its main thesis is that that men and women are different. Not better or worse - just different.
Society today is determined to believe that men and women posess exactly the same skills, aptitudes and potential - yet science, ironically, is begining to prove that they are completely different.

This is particularly true when it comes to diet, weight and perception of self. It is also true for the specific ways in which low carb affects men and women.

Many women report that husbands or boyfriends have no trouble losing weight but for the women it is an uphill struggle.

But this is just a perception. Take a look at this forum. The women far outnumber the men. This lack of numbers just makes it appear that it is a female problem. Not so. It is just a different problem.

For us men, obesity or being overweight is a practical problem for which we seek solutions. We are good a seeking solutions. Low carb appeals because it has a scientific justification, it is a process, it is a methodology. We can be in control. We tend to seek information and are persuaded by logic.

For women it is a greater part psychological, more feeling, and the support required is moral support, encouragement, and comaraderie.

Of course we all help each other, and can understand the needs of others but we do have different needs.

I for one solitary male do not go for recipes, am not motivated by the ra ra, way to go, you have done great.. approach when a pound is lost. I care not for whoosh fairies, water retention nor do I fantazise on chocolate or hunks/babes.

Reading my posts and journals you will find not recipes, nor day to day weight struggles, but a little humour, a little of what is going on in my life, reflections on food and my relation to it, and a recognition of the passing seasons.

In many ways my posts are infomational rather than emotional. This may be a male thing or it may just be me.

So is there a place for a purely male thread. Perhaps so. But it is unlikely to have a permanent shelf life. We are not going to raise the passion that the ladies will generate. We are the channel clickers, we are the grazers and the hunters. We can read maps and know where low carb can take us but we are terrible at asking for directions or advice.

We will just read the posts of the ladies who ask the questions we would never ask.

But I will return

Last edited by rustpot : Sat, Feb-15-03 at 05:16.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/ Atkins
Stats: 270/258/180
BF:
Progress: 13%

This thread sounds cool to me - us few must stick together. I agree that people get a little silly pretending that men and women aren't different, but I hate to see things tied up into neat packages (Girls like soaps, boys like sports, etc...). I don't think anyone's idea of a "pure male" thread is going to work, because I don't think anyone/ everyone is that slated. I like to cook and read recipes, and I'm a sports nut. I guess what I'm saying is that a male thread sounds good, but let's not confine ourselves to such a predictable mold.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 21:22

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I think you guys should have a men's club!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 21:29

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Progress: 14%
Default Mens Room

Hey guys,

I have participated heavily in many ladies journals and get just as passionate within the group as the next over a pound lost or gained. I've seen the exclusivity some take in the fact that some journals are nothing more than gossip parlors. But it takes all kinds, I welcome a male slanted area, and if a lady shows up and posts, great, it doesn't mean that we've been invaded!

I have learned so much from so many, mostly women, over the last few months, and I have been low carbing for 5 years or so.

But one difference I have noticed is when man does finally get ready to lose weight, no force in the univere will stop him. A man does seem to be the perfect fat burning machine. No hormones or cycles to get in our way! Our sucess in this century of quick cheap fast food, has made it a matter of course to not only survive but to become obese, and taking us out of the food hunting/gathering equation, and becoming slaves to desks has helped that along as well.

I was always the merchants, accountants, and rich who had the obesity problems in times past, now we are all to a certain extend in their same class, men who have very little physical work to do, thus the springing up of countless health clubs wherein we run like rodents burning up countless unnecessary calories.

I work at a desk for 13 to 16 hours a day for 14 days, and then I am off for 14 days, that is my work schedule, I am lucky that my employer has great workout facilities for me while I am at work, they are highly under used, there are many fat men where I work, food is provided as well, we all tend to go the path of least resistance....

When I am off for my 2 weeks, I spend 4-5 hours a day training for my ice dancing. That is my passion. But isn't it funny that with a passion of ice dancing and working out at the gym, that I would still be over weight?? It just goes to show that what with or food needs completly met, it is so easy to overindulge in the modern world, and I must admit to being a confort food eater, a reward food eater, a celebration food eater, a moody food eater, you get the picture.

It has only been in the last half year that I have been consistantly losing weight and that's were I tie it all in to the will of man, all this time, the last 5 years or so when I was 326 lbs to start, people would say to me "You really should lose weight" I would nod and smile and agree, but on the inside I would say, "But I don't want to give up what I want" And I would continue on my merry way....

It was only reaching 38 years of age and the realization that my knees were not doing well with the poundage, and that if I didn't do something about it that I would die like this.... Then I started to take action. But even with that it has taken me from 1997 to present to go from 326 to 194. I would do well for a while then plataue for 6 months, then go opps, and start again... slow but steady I would say to myself... but in acuality, I wasn't totally commited to me being thinner. The ice dancing helped kick that into gear, because I had ice danced as a teen I do have very strick feelings on what looks good on ice skates and what looks, um, very bad.... the 1st video tape I saw of myself shocked me.... It made me change, but even that wasn't enough. It's amazing to me how complacent we can all be, let it ride is truely a easy mantra to follow, it's too easy to take it easy. So to make a long story some what shorter, I've had to really take myself by the hair and say, what is it I want? Funny thing is it's not that I want to look sexy for the ladies, (I am single) and really even though it is a concern, it's not for health really, my main reason for losing weight boils down to the fact that I want to look good Ice Dancing, it motivates me and I guess in the long run that's all that matter. As a 18 year old I gave up ice dance, due to money and work and life, I gained weight immediately... It almost seems like it has taken me 27 years to realize I'm fat because I gave up something I loved, not because of the food I ate, I don't even want that much food when I'm skating..... now there's a concept!

I find LCing the easiest way of eating, convient, enjoyable, easy, it goes hand in hand with my way of living. The skating is the same, and now I only have a little way left to go to goal weight, I'm not even worried about it any more!

Well, that was longer than I had planned! Talk to you all later.

#9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 21:49

Stats: 304/248/200
BF:
Progress: 54%

This forum sounds like it's worth a shot. (Donald - thanks for the invite.)
I agree with Rustpot. It seems that 'diets' have often been associated with women and girls, given the pressure they face to be ultra sleek and slim, and, God forbid, wear something more than a size 3 outfit. Hollywood's image of the perfect woman is (or was) Twiggy.
On the other hand, the ideal male model is David (Michaelangelo's sculpture). I don't look anything like that and, quite frankly, it's unlikely I ever will.

Society has different expectations of men and women. While women should keep their maiden figures, it's okay for a man to get 'soft'. Look at some TV programs for examples: King of Queens, Still Standing, and Yes Dear . The female leads are all slim, petite women, while their TV husbands are, well, fat slobs.

I've adopted a LC lifestyle to improve not just my waistline, but my overall health - lower my LDL and BP, raise my HDL, all of which the LC lifestyle promises. I suggest it's our responsibility to look after ourselves and recognize that being fat/overweight/obese/rotund/pear-shaped (choose the applicable term) is more than just a matter of aesthetics, it's a matter of overall health.

Icedancer's got a good point, too. We can dedicate ourselves to a goal, and because of the abundance of testosterone in our systems, we often adopt a 'do it or die trying' attitude toward things. Notwithstanding the foregoing, it can be difficult/depressing when we hit plateaus and obstacles on the way to our goals and it's good to be able to get encouragement from other guys in the same boat as us. I can't exactly go to the guy down the hall and start chatting about a sub-20 carb diet and being stuck at a plateau.

Welcome to all guys, and warmest regards to all,

George F

PS: Tamarian; what's a "Tamarian"? I'm a fan of ST:TNG too, but that name/culture/race doesn't ring any bells.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 21:50

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Count me in!

Would not want to have this as my main contact point on this site, but it sure could be a nice addition.

Will post with greater detail in a day or two. I am involved with the two day Regional Wrestling Tournament at the moment, and really won't have any time for surfing and posting until Sunday afternoon.

Catch you then!

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 23:06
Registered Member

Stats: 292/273/190
BF:
Progress: 19%

I think this sounds like a good idea as well. It would be good to have a place to come and meet others going through the same type of situations and to lend each other support. It would also be a good way for people to ask any questions that might be generally specific to men. Just as there are questions women will have that don't effect men, (such as the effects of LCing on a woman's cycles, if there are any), there would also be some questions that are more relavent to men. It would be good to have a place to post these types of discussions to make it easier for people to find later on.

I also agree that it would not need to be excluding in nature.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 06:31

Default Welcome and great to meet you all.

I want to thank Donald for putting out the widespread invitation. I have stated that I am relativly new here and it looks like Donald has cast a wide net. It was great to read the different thoughts about a mens area. I did'nt think anyone would confuse it with "The He Man Woman Haters Club" and I am glad to see such a positive response.

-A little more about me. I love women. I have always been surrounded by them. I grew up with four sisters and my mother. I now have two daughters and my wonderful wife. Most of our pets are female!!! I love women, but I am a man and as stated above we are two different creatures.

As men who are all working on the same LC team I'm sure we will have something to share along the way.

I can read a map, but I also enjoy a road trip with the Guys once in a while. You may to, mabey not every day but you are welcome anytime. So If you are inspired...between channel clicking..drop in and say hey.

Thanks again

Shane
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 330/162/150 Male 67 inches
BF:64/16/10
Progress: 93%
Default Hello

I want to thank Donald also. I would not have found this thread without his invitation.

I don't have time this morning for a long post but I did want to drop in and say hi.

This WOE has changed my life in so many ways in the last 12 months that it would take pages and pages to tell it all. In fact it has done just that and you can find them by clicking on my journal icon at the bottom of this post or by following the link to my web site.

In those locations you will find my story and lots of pictures and graphs and charts that I've created along the way to help me in my journey.

I look forward to getting to know more of you better. I already have met some of you and that has been an enjoyable experience for me. So I know the future will be a pleasure also.

Don
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahoney
I like to cook and read recipes, and I'm a sports nut.

Gosh, u're like the male version of me!! Excellent

Bebe
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 19:49
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

Guess I'm another Donald inductee to this thread, but it seems like a great idea, so I'll post.

I guess similar to Shane, I've been around women all my life, and feel pretty comfortable. I was raised by my Mom after my Dad was killed in a work accident when I was 5. Spent most of my youth playing with my 2 female cousins. Oh, and all our cats are female, but we've had 2 boys to help balance out the testosterone levels in the house

Don't consider myself the typical male, not a big sports nut, and more the typical geek I guess. Like SciFi, Action, collecting DVD's. Read a lot, mostly Military Sci Fi and Hard Sci Fi lately. Just getting into Woodworking, and of course computers are pretty much the bulk of my life

I guess now we need some manly topics to talk about
I've certainly seen the opposite information discussed, the gals of the forum talking about the partners, and if they follow this WOE, how about the guys points on this. I'm trying to convince my wife, though she is still nursing and can't do a really restricted diet. I'd still like her to cut out the complex carbs, and she is coming around, but she loves sweets