Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 00:55

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Wink Question for maintainers out there

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, so please forgive me if I did.

My question is, when do you actually convert from fat burning to glucose metabolism?? I have been steadily eating no less than 70g net carbs but I still pee profusely. Out of curiosity I dug out my ketostix and it still registered a shade of pink. I know it is not lack of calories because I plugged things into fitday today and I ate around 1700. I'm not a heavy exerciser nor is my job physically demanding. My main concern is constipation . It appears that with all the fluid going out of my system, I am constipated most of the time, whereas during my heavy carb days I went way too often.

Confused , Rose

Happy low carbing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rose. Could it be that the ketones were from your last meal? Dietary fat will register as ketones, too.

I register in ketosis, too, from time to time, even in maintenance. I think the body does a little bit of both depending on how you're eating that day.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 22:37

BF:

Hiya Kristine!
Thank you for your insights!
I checked the ketostix when I haven't eaten for several hours so I don't think it was the dietary fat . Do you think I'd need to eat 100+ g to be in glucose metabolism? Dr. Atkins says that when you're in maintenance, you'll no longer be in ketosis, but he also states that average person would be eating around 70-90g net carbs on maintenance, which I'm doing right now. Still in ketosis though..

Hey, is that your photo in your avatar?? You're so pretty! I have a LC buddy up in Canada as well, Lilygirl She's in Calgary area though.

I hope I run into you often in the maintenance club! Take care and have a good night
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 22:39

BF:

Btw, I checked the ketostix again and still dark pink, after eating all that carbs!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 01:41

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%

Are you drinking plenty of water? Ketones also show when you are not drinking enough of the good 'ol H20. Not enough fluid also create constipation. We are all different so you may need more water than another person doing low carb.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:08

BF:
Smile

Hi Trisha,

Yes, I think I'm drinking a lot of water. Water, plus tea, diet sodas, generally lots of fluid cuz I'm constantly thirsty. The only problem is that it goes out as soon as it comes in . My body doesn't seem to want to retain ANY water ! I have dry skin as a result too. I really want to get rid of this constipation problem.

Btw, you are super thin! Congratulations on reaching goal . Hope you have a great weekend! Rose

Last edited by rose7 : Sat, Jan-10-04 at 08:13.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello Rose, was just reading
Quote:
I think I'm drinking a lot of water. Water, plus tea, diet sodas,

How much water compared to the tea and sodas? Because it still sounds like you are not getting enough plain water. When you drink Soda and tea you really need to comsume the full amount if not more of plain water, cause the soda/tea can effect the impact of the plain water, hope that makes some sort of sense??

Cheers Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:06

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Rose - Do you take anything at all for your constipation problem? My doctor told me to take pure fiber pills which I do take 6/day. Flax seeds are also good to take. Don't take laxatives as they will upset your electrolytes. The fiber pills don't work real quick but they keep me regular enough to live with. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else does have to take anything and if so, what. Thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 17:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Dear Rose:
I know this sounds conservative, but I when I hear you are always thirsty, peeing everything out, and in ketosis despite all the calories I think you should go to your doctor and tell him/her what is going on, and maybe check your blood sugar.
Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 11:54

BF:
Smile

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your input . Kathy, after reading your post, I made an effort to cut down on my soda intake and increase water. But I ran out of ketostix, so I no longer check that now, though I知 still peeing quite a lot . Anleigh, my fiber intake is at least 25-30g per day, so I知 getting quite a bit of fiber . I occasionally take laxatives when I知 desperate, but I try my best not to. Enomarb, I知 reading into IBS because I think I may suffer from that. My doctor prescribed a non-habit forming laxative called lactulose, which I believe is a form of sugar, I知 thinking of taking it. Maybe I知 burning off carbs much faster than normal. I致e noticed I need to eat more on this woe, so perhaps my metabolism got a boost from LCing .

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Rose

Last edited by rose7 : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 11:56.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 21:28

BF:
Smile

Hi everyone, thought I post an update . Turns out I suffer from IBS. The doctor prescribed Zelnorm and it is working quite well . I still go back and forth on ketosis and still lose lot of water, but I just increased my water intake to compensate for the lost water.

Happy Low carbing!