Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 07:21
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%
Default Fats Vs Carbs

I am having the biggest problem with cutting back on my fats as I'm re-introducing healthy carbs back into my diet.
I know it's going to take some time to find the right balance, but I don't like the scale jumping up 5 lbs because of it. (I know, I'm a scale junkie LOL) I've been adding in more spaghetti squash as my carbs and in the 10 carb increments.
Another thing I'm encountering is that I will eat more of the squash than the protien I'm eating with it
Anyone have any sage advice?

Last edited by Seto Kaiba : Wed, Sep-24-03 at 07:24. Reason: Edit to add information I forgot LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:33

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

What sort of fats are you trying to cut out?
Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:41
Alan Rickman Addict

BF:

Just trying to cut down on my mayo, cream, butter, dressings, etc. I've been using a TON. It's been a struggle trying to lower the fats in my diet to incorportate more healthy carbs. The thing that bothered me the most was the weight gain.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:44
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%

Hey Seto! How are ya! Well you know that I have been wondering the same thing. I read a book on general low carb living called "Easy Low Carb Living" by Patricia Haakonson and Harv Haakonson ( www.lowcarblliving.ca ) - in their book they even talk about this forum as being an excellent resource...I was so impressed. I actually loved this book because it summarized all the different low carb plans, said what they liked about each. They weren't touting one plan over another, but offering the choice to their readers. They talk about weight loss, but I loved how they focussed on how they've made this book about "low carb LIVING" not just losing weight. I thought it was an excellent book and read it with two highlighter colours in hand (just like I did Dr. A's book!) You should check it out. Anyway, how this relates to your question (sorry it took me so long to get to the point...I'm a chatterbox.. I can't help it!) is that they say that we should be encouraged to eat more good fats in our every day diet, BUT avoid the bad fats. So while we keep gradually upping our carbs to find our balance, we can keep eating unsaturated fats, either monounsat. or polyunsat.(which are found in liquid form). Monounsat.'s would be olive oil (as well as olives), canola oil, peanut oil, most nuts, peanut butter, avocados; Polyunsat.'s would be corn oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, cottonseed oil and fish.

Now for the bad fats, they are SATURATED and TRANS FATTY ACIDS. Sat.'s are found in whole milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, red meat, chocolate, coconut, coconut milk & coconut oil. TFA's are found in margarine, shortening, partially hydrogenated veg. oil, many fast foods and most commercial baked goods.

That being said, I think their point is, if we want to keep eating the fats, we should start cutting down on the "bad" fats and keeping up with the "good" fats. Sniff, so that means unfortuately having to cut back on the butter, cheese and creams (and deliciously fatty read meats) that I, and I think you, have grown to love! It makes sense though, but is probably the only healthy way to move into lifetime maintenance to make this a healthy plan for the next 50+ years of our life!

Now, this is only the info I've gained from that book, I encourage anyone else to please offer their 2 cents as well. I love hearing other points of view!

G'night!
Lily
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:46
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%
Default Wrong Link...

Whoops, I had typed that link wrong, sorry, here it is.

www.lowcarbliving.ca

Sorry!
Lily
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 09:14
Alan Rickman Addict

BF:

Thanks for the info and the link, Lily!! I've started transitioning the fatty red meat out. , cutting the cream, cheese, etc. So far so good!!!
But I won't give up my "fried" chicken thighs w/ skin (yet LOL)