Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 14:16

Plan: VLC
Stats: 215/171.6/130 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/35%/20%
Progress: 51%
Default My ovarian cyst totally gone!

I wanted to post my health success story! On March 16, 2009 I went to see my gyn. I was having very painful periods, and prior to this office visit I experienced a sharp stab thru my uterine area. My back pain was tremendous, limiting my activity. I was having constant lower abdomen pain also.

The ultrasound showed that I had a 4cm cyst on my left ovary, keep in mind that the average size of a woman's ovary is 3cm. The cyst was engulfing my whole ovary, and the tech explained that my ovary was also inflamed due to the cyst and measured at 5cm due to inflammation. When I saw the dr. after the ultrasound he wanted to do a hysterectomy, I said "no way, not an option." I continued, "you can also do a laparoscopy" (where they go in and pop it and remove all the fluid thru a straw like tube). He decided it would be best for me to go on birth control pills so I wouldn't ovulate and wouldn't get cyst. I'm thinking to myself right, I'm not fond of taking birth control again, but let him give me the samples of the pills anyway. I already decided I was not taking them and I would do this naturally. We scheduled another ultrasound re check for May 21, to see if cyst was still there, and if it was then he would schedule a laparoscopy .

I had not been really watching my carbs prior to this and I started a ultra low carb plan, with basically just meat, eggs, and cheese and very limited veggies. I stuck to this plan like glue, I strayed on hubby's birthday. I had a very small piece of cake, and on our anniversary I had an appetizer made with philo dough. When I weighed in at the appointment in March I weighed 184 pounds.

I followed up on the 21st, the cyst was totally gone! Yes! My back pain and abdomen pain disappeared. I feel so great and energetic! I am now weighing 171, I want to lose a lot more weight. maybe another 30 pounds or so, I will re-access as I get closer.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 17:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

That is really awesome! By your description it sounds like you may have had a Functional Cyst. At least that's what they called them when I would get them. I had one that was the size of a grapefruit and it went away after 2 period cycles - never to return (at least THAT size). Women get cysts on their ovaries all the time and they usually don't cause any problems (other than the stupid PAIN!) - they usually disappear after your next period. It's good to get ultrasounds done if they are big like that though, so that they can determine what kind of cyst it is! I've also had one removed during a laproscopy too.

http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/C...ysts/index.html

Keep up the great work on following this way of eating! There really are a lot of benefits and maybe keeping cysts at bay is one of them!!!

Last edited by Didy : Thu, May-28-09 at 17:47.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-30-09, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: 180DH/W.Price/BED
Stats: 145/135/140 Female 6"
BF:
Progress: 200%

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story, bkalm. You have inspired me.