Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 10:15
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question 5k Road walk - Non-exerciser... Help!

About 4 years ago I used to do the Cigna 5k Road race in my City.
I haven't exercised in over a year. Is it possible to train up to be able to walk the 5K? I haven't walked over a half mile let alone 3 and a half of them.
The road race is Aug 12th and today is July 7th. Is it realistically do-able and if so can someone help me set a schedule, I would really appriciate it, for I'm disorganized. Thanks so much. I really would like to try, it would be a great way to start exercising again. I love walking but I run out of breath (No not Asthma) I really want to get into shape, stamana wise. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 11:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Hmmmm,

With only 5 weeks to train, it could be tough, but here's a training schedule that I would reccomend:

Starting today, Wednesday:
............W:.......F:.......M:.......Weekly Total:
week 1: 1.50k,..1.50k,..3.00k,.......6.0k
week 2: 1.75k,..1.75k,..3.50k,.......7.0k
week 3: 2.00k,..2.00k,..4.00k,.......8.0k
week 4: 2.25k,..2.25k,..4.50k,.......9.0k
week 5: Thursday:5.00k walk!

Rest on the Tuesday and Wednesday before the 5K.

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Wed, Jul-07-04 at 11:32.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 12:12
Everyday Sane Psycho

I work 40-50 hours a week, can I break the time up or should I do it at one time for example: 1.25 break it to .75k twice a day vs. 1.25 at one shot.
Also how long should I take to do these? What would be a good time? (I don't want to be last. I did that two years in a row.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 13:09

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hey there - the training schedule from loCarbJ sounds perfect. It is easy to fit into your schedule - it only takes me about 40 min to walk 4 km - I do at least that distance every night with my dog because I'm training for a 60 km 2-day walk in September. I walked about 14 km in just under 3 hours. Try to go out a moderate paced walk for 20 minutes every day in addition to the training schedule, either getting up earlier or in the evening - I see your kids are teenagers so hopefully you can leave them at home or else bring them with you! Anything is possible - you will find the time - I work at least 40+ hours / week too, and I go to the gym and work out 6 days a week in the morning before work plus I do my training walks at night - after making dinner etc. - you may have to put other things on the backburner while you're training, but it will be worth it when you feel so awesome after completing this challenge!

Good luck - you can do it!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 14:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Lessara,

Do them as they are listed in the schedule and don't break them up. The goal here is to build up your mileage.

You should be able to do the shorter walks, on average, in less than 30 minutes (assuming a pace of around 2.5 mph) and you should be able to do the longer walks, on average, in less than 60 minutes. It's okay if it takes you a little longer, but try to do them in the blocks that I stated, so that you'll be able to do the entire 5K.

Do them when ever you are in the mood to do them.

Incidently, 1 K is the same as .62 miles. It would be helpful if you had a pedometer. You can buy them at Walmart for under $9.

Also, don't worry about where you place. The biggest thing here is to be a finisher! After you are a consistent finisher, then you could work on where you place.

Jeff

Last edited by loCarbJ : Wed, Jul-07-04 at 15:09.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 10:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Default Thank you!

I really appriciate all your advice!! I'm very excited about starting, I did laps yesterday at the pool to build my stamina up so I don't run out of breath so easily. Build up lung power . My son volenteered to walk with me right before dinner. I need something to measure how far to walk. For now my roommate has marked off the car distance for a half a mile, mile, a mile and a half...etc.
I just walk to the land mark.
Thanks again.
Any other advice would be welcomed.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 12:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I am excited for you! Heck, maybe you came in last but you FINISHED! It is easy for us to forget sometimes that the first step is the most important. And getting in shape is really about doing just MORE than you used to do......... I am so happy for you that you are going to do this!

Orchid