Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default 52 miles with few carbs

Sunday I ran a double marathon. I didn't carb load the night before. Dinner was refried beans. Breakfast was salted nuts. Roughly every 5 miles I ate an inch stack of pringles. At the end of the marathon I was getting shaky from electrolyte problems. So I switched from water to dilute gatorade. Also instead of pringles I had two ounces of Hammergel every 5 miles.

I ran 52.4 miles on about 1000 calories. The race is run at roughly 9000ft altitude with some serious hills. I estimate I burned nearly 10,000 calories: 180 calories per mile times 52.4 miles.

I never felt anything like the wall or bonk. Today my legs are mildly sore. I can squat normally. I'm not having any problem climbing stairs, up or down.

I didn't post this to brag. Rather it's to demonstrate the effects of low carb eating. BTW, I'm not an elite runner. My marathons tend to take 4 hours. I usually finish in the bottom half.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:54

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Great run KPO,

I have settled in with a carb intake of about 100-125 per day, running 25-30 miles per week. My next marathon won't be until the fall, although I am planning a few shorter races.

I've forgotten how many carbs you usually take in.
I found that anything under about 60 for me and my runs were not going as well, so I increased it and am running better and starting to lose weight again as well.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 18:46
Registered Member

Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

GREAT JOB KPO!!!

Got to admit, PRINGLES? LOL

KG, I'm also upping my daily ave carbs. Because I tend to add carbs a bit on my ride days, I'm not going up to 60 yet but I am up to 35 g/day now. I'm also noticeing that my stall is starting to end.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 19:26
Registered Member

BF:

Pringles are a staple at ultra race aid stations: Easilly digested carbs and salt. Although I prefer cubed potatoes dipped in salt.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 04:22

BF:

I tried to run a lot and stay very low carb (under 50). The marathon I ran at the end of March was a very poor showing for me. I have also had a lot of terrible training runs and my runs have actually slowed down. I attribute all this to diet, as I should be running faster, particularly with the added weight loss. My 5K time at the end of April was also slow. I have seen improvement over the last little while with the added carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 07:32

Stats: 255/190/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

Amazing! What race did you run? I am struggling myself. I'll have a good run one day and a rotten one the next without any apparent reason. I have also upped the carbs and at this point I am in more of a BFL diet. Still sorting it all out.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 12:18

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kaypeeoh,
Great job on the double marathon!!!!! You da man!!!! Wow, only 1000 calories? Do you think you ate more calories than that? Isn't each ounce of Hammer Gel 100 calories, each cup of Gatorade 80 claories and the Pringles about 100 per stack? How long did it take you? Ten hours? Twelve hours? What race was it!!! You are amazing!! I sure as heck couldn't do that on so few carbs. I think you are in for a big whoosh in the next week!
Please keep us updated on your progress! Race reports are always inspiring too!!!!!!!
Maureen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:56
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks.

This was the Rocky Mountain Double Marathon in Laramie, Wyoming. I've done the race a half dozen times. This was the fastest and easiest time I've ever had. The only change from years past is the Adkins stuff.

I was mostly guessing on the amount of calories ingested. There were aid tables every 4 miles. The tables had water, gatorade, granola bars and pringles. I would fill my bottle half way with water and the rest of the way with gatorade. I would take a few pringles and eat them as I was running.

After the first marathon was over I carried Hammergel with me. I would take a sip as I passed the tables. I can't take more than a small amount of Hammergel at a time. It causes indigestion.

Next week: The Moose Chase 24 hour run.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 17:41

BF:

Hi Kaypeeoh,
I am so inspired by you!!!!!!!! I dropped at my last 50 miler (mile 34). I'm still getting back into shape after surgery. YOu sure are on a tear and your race sounds like it was in a beautiful area. So your next one is a 24 hour event? I'll look it up on the internet. Hey, we have a great 24 track run here in San Diego! This year it will be the National Championship and Younos Kioros (sp?) will be here! He's the best runner in the world!!!!!! Holds the most distance record for 24 hours, 160 miles I think.
Anyway, this is a great support group and I look forward to hearing about your progress. Mine is coming along slow and steady.
Take Care,
Maureen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 07:58

Stats: 255/190/150
BF:
Progress: 62%

Yiannis Kouros

Surgeres 48 Hours
Surgeres, France - 2-4 May 2003

1. Yiannis Kouros GRE 438.813 km
2. Zoltan Kiss HUN 380.304 km

Big carb eater, that Yiannis, but when you are 58 kilometers (what? 35 miles) in the lead, they let you eat what you want, I guess.

Wayne

Last edited by HuffnPuff : Thu, May-29-03 at 08:00.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:57

BF:

Wayne,
Thanks for the stats and the spelling! Boy did I slaughter his name!!!!!!!!!
Take Care,
Maureen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:42

BF:

It was very interesting reading Groves' book Eat Fat, Get Thin. Although he makes a case for a very low carb diet, he is also quite clear that exercise should only be done in moderation and not excessively.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 12:10
Registered Member

Stats: 172/159/145
BF:
Progress: 48%

That's massive. I'm not sure how many of you here have run a marathon, but it's incredibly difficult. I can't even imagine a double marathon

#14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 18:43

Stats: 230/176/180
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hey Gang

I am training for a fall marathon. I take in about 40g carbs a day. I have done 2 half marathons in the spring. I am up to 14 miles as my long run during training. So far I have no problem with energy during runs just intaking water. I know that will probably change. What can I use during runs to energize myself without getting off the LC lifestyle. I have heard about hammergel. Is that less carbs than the other brands. Any info would be helpful

Thanks
Mike

http://hometown.aol.com/mrabinow/myhomepage/index.html
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Mike,
Good luck with your fall marathon!
Which one are you doing?

I use GU energy gel, which is 100 calories of glycogen, basically. It really doesn't hurt to use this while training, at least I don't think so. It can help you run further and harder.
Also, I use Ultima Replenisher, which is like a sugar free gatorade. It has 35 calories per 20 ounces.

Judy