Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 19:33

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Add One More

I'm new and I'm on the Schwarzbien Principle Program. I've been on it just short of 2 weeks and I'm loving it. It's so easy. For more information about me, I've posted in the introductions section and I've started a journal.

I'm glad there's somewhere I can find out how others are doing on the SP Program.

;-Deb
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 11:58

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Deb!

We're not a very active group...being completely overwhelmed by Atkins-ites...but we're here! Welcome aboard and feel free to post questions anytime!

Lisa
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:40

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 238/224/126
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Welcome Deb!

Hi Deb

I have been on this for about six weeks now, and the effect on my health has been amazing. (I mean with even chronic conditions apparently cured).

The weight loss is slow but steady. What I am keen to know is how long everyone has been at this. Did you do anything to further help weight drop off?

I have been following the diet religiously, but am wondering whether to cut down a bit to increase weight loss. What would you suggest?

Should I just be patient? I know I have been indoctrinated by a lifetime's no fat nonsense. It is going to take so much to heal us all from the brainwashing.

All views welcomed!

Best wishes

Jilly
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 12:59

BF:
Default Slow weight loss

Hi, Jilly. I think we have to expect and appreciate the slow weight loss we get with the SP Program. In her book, Dr. Schwarzbein says that 1 pound a week is appropriate. Her plan is not really about weight loss, but about becoming healthy. That's why I'm doing her plan rather than the excessive/scary (to me) Atkins diet.

More than anything else, I expect my fasting sugar test to be normal in 3 months when I retest (two months ago it tested at 138, 125 is the top of normal, 200 is full-blown diabetes according to my doctor).

I know my initial weight loss is the usual "water weight" loss associated with any plan that causes you to lose weight. It's not really true weight loss. I am expecting to drop no more than 1 pound a week once my system has adjusted.

Also, the closer you get to your optimum weight/configuration, the slower it will go, and you will appear to plateau, because you are consuming nutrients at a level that more closely matches your optimum level.

Think of it this way, when you weigh a lot, you require more "calories" just to maintain that weight, so if you eat the food that would sustain you at your optimum weight, you will lose weight. As the amount of calories required to keep you at your current weight drops with your weight to more closely match that required for your optimum weight, your weight loss will slow.

That tends to be the reason most people get discouraged with diet plans. They expect to keep up the same rate of weight loss all through their diet.

I expect it to take me 2 or 3 years to get to my optimum configuration, whatever that turns out to be. But I am going to feel healthy and satisfied as I do it, and I will not have to relearn to eat when I get there, because I will have been eating for my optimum configuration all along.

Finally to answer your question: I think you should go slow and easy. I had a day when I didn't eat the carbs I should have and I felt awful. I had some cantaloupe and felt much better. Since then I have made sure I got the carbs I need to keep feeling great. To me it's better to take it slow and not stress my body than to see a quick drop on the scale.

Hope this helps,
;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Tue, Feb-12-02 at 13:06.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 14:55

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:

My sister is on S. and she's loving it. She's a vegetarian so S. seemed the most veggie-friendly. I'm doing Atkins at the moment but I'm seriously considering moving to S. I'm reading her book at the moment and I like it so far. I know she's a purist in a lot of ways, like no sweetners (which I've cut out completely because of the temptation) and no coffee (all right, this one's going to be tough!) but also she doesn't count carbs in things like veggies, cheeses, and eggs which Atkins does.

I'm definately looking at this one!

Tam
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:33

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

How to "do" any program is a tough question.

The first time I did Dr. S's plan (strictly followed) I definitely lost weight at a rate faster than a pound a week in the beginning.

The second time, my weight loss was slower and I plateau'd a lot sooner.

This time, I've been onthe plan since June 5th, added a lot of exercise, and modified the plan by reducing carbs because I was still having a lot of hard-to-handle cravings...particularly with carbs in the morning. I tend to avoid fruit, but work at making sure I get some veggies into every meal. I've surpassed my original goal (even though she says you'll stop at your ideal weight, I wanted some kind of number in my head). Part of the reason I set a goal weight was also to encourage the fitness side of things. The last two times I did the program I hit 165-170 and just couldn't sustain it. I know in my heart that the exercise accounts for over 25 lbs of the weight loss and continues to help me go down. I've revised my goals and 140 is probably wishful thinking. But Ifeel great and my lean body mass is increasing ever so slowly with weight training.

Lisa
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 11:01

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 220/174/150
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default lifestyle change

Hi, I'm new to the site and I am so glad to find other people who are out there following Dr. Schwarzbein's advice! I've been doing it for about a month now and I have had a few slip-ups but I definitely know that I feel better than I have in a while. I've been consciously trying to lose weight for about a year now and I managed to lose about 40 pounds... but not in a very healthy way. I realized that I was being extremely unhealthy in the amount of calories I was taking in (about 500 a day) and the amount of exercise I was doing (about an hour and a half of cardio), combined with taking Metabolife. Once I started to feel really sick, a friend of mine gave me his Schwarzbein book and I felt so much better to think about being healthy... the plan is amazing and makes so much more sense than Atkins or any other plan. Just wanted to share that story!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 12:26

Stats: 238/224/126
BF:
Default Thanks all

It was really interesting to hear your stories. Thanks for replying.

I am going to up the cycling but not mess about with the diet.

One interesting thing is that I feel so well and my mood is so much better that I care so much less about what I weigh. I no longer obsess about food and dieting and failed dieting all the time.

My God. I have become a normal person, whatever that is!

Good wishes to all

Jilly
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 06:31

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Count me in too. Thanks for all the info and inspiration. I am looking forward to starting this weekend and will follow the good advice of planning my meals in advance. I have yet to find the journals to keep track of my progress but will do so soon.

Judy
159/159/130
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 08:45

BF:
Default Welcome!

Good for you Judy. IMHO, Schwarzbein is the way to go.

The Journals are under the heading of Journals/Bootcamp. Then you select the heading that your ID falls into (in your case Journals H to J).

Hope this helps.
;-Deb
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 07:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/160/130
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, DebPenny. I've just been shopping so I'm all set to start. I also ordered the Schwarzbein Cookbook which arrived today. There are some great recipes in it. I'll let you know how I get on. Unfortunately, I thought I would buy a few sweets and chocolates before I have to give them up!! Maybe my starting weight will be higher tomorrow!

Judy
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 15:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/125
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Is this similar to Atkins

Hi, I have been reading your posts on Dr. S. Is it similar to Atkins? I havent read the book, but have Protein Power and Atkins. I am a diabetic and really need to watch my carbs and was interested , it sounds interesting.

Thanks,
Martha
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 19:24

Stats: 232/219/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Post How many of us are there

Hi All
I'm new to the site and am just finishing Schwarzbein. Will be starting Monday.I've tried other plans and found this to be liveable.The book is just great! hope to be talking to all of you soon!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Is this similar to Atkins

Quote:
Originally posted by martham
Hi, I have been reading your posts on Dr. S. Is it similar to Atkins? ...Martha

Hey Martha!
You can find a summary and comparisons of the plans here:
http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...lans/index.html
Good luck!
H2
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:28

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default Another Newbie

Hi, I just read Dr. Schwarzbein's book, and I really liked what she had to say and how she explained the physiology behind her diet. I have been on the Zone diet to lost my pregnancy weight. I'm almost there, and most of my jeans fit . However, I'm getting tired of weighing and measuring all my food, and I've been hungry so much of the time and looking for a way to keep the weight off without being so hungry. My baby is 6 months old, and I am breastfeeding her plus pumping and extra 8oz/day, and I exercise a lot.

Here's a crazy question: does it make anyone else anxious not to measure your food? I don't even know how I will know if I'm eating the right amount of protein. I eat mainly vegetarian, which often means one-dish meals, which makes it even harder for me. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Jen