Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Please pass the potatoes, Dr. Atkins"

Posted on Thu, Aug. 14, 2003

Please pass the potatoes, Dr. Atkins

CELIA RIVENBARK - FROM THE BELLE TOWER

link to article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's official. Every human being I know is now on the Atkins diet.

Sure, they look kind of silly, sitting there eating puddles of spaghetti sauce without the noodles underneath like God and Rocco DiSpirito intended, but they're SERIOUS. No side of garlic bread for them. But yes, please, another 8-pound meatball!

Like most women my age who eat a lot of fudge and don't exercise, I've gained a bit of weight recently; and so I decided the Atkins diet was worth a try. Any diet that encourages mass consumption of T-bones and kielbasa sausages can't be all bad, right?

Wrong. I lasted exactly 32 hours on the Atkins diet and have no intentions of ever trying it again.

Without carbohydrates - and lots of them - I discovered that I really did have the capacity to take another's life.

Particularly if the "other" was eating a big, fat yeast roll in front of me. In which case we would, once again, trot out the "but, yer honor, he needed killin' " defense so popular in our South.

Carbohydrates - from the Latin "carbo," which means yummy, and "hydrates," which means cinnamon bun - are not something I can eliminate or even drastically cut back on.

There is no joy in a steak without a baked potato, a hot dog without a bun, a casserole without noodles, a movie starring Ben and J Lo.

The late Dr. Atkins believed that by restricting carbs, it would cause the body to burn up its stored fat faster.

Ha! That might work for most people, but I can assure you that my body, in 32 hours, was already plotting new and more embarrassing places to store fat.

I don't dispute that the Atkins diet works for most people. I've seen women shed 50 pounds in a matter of weeks using this diet.

The only bad part is that if you slip up and eat, say, a single french fry or a saltine, you will wake up 20 pounds heavier.

It's cruel that way.

Weight Watchers makes more sense to me. That would be my first choice of diets, except they assign "points" to food. This involves a lot of math, calculating the dietary fat grams divided by the calories and then converting it all into these "points."

According to Weight Watchers, I am entitled to a measley 23 points a day, but I'd use up 18 of them in one single serving of Nachos Bell Grande, or, as I like to call it, heaven on a cardboard plate.

The perfect diet is out there, my hons. And I'm going to find it. Just as soon as I finish these mashed potatoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact CELIA RIVENBARK at celiariven~aol.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 17:24
Registered Member

Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

The way she writes, it partially opens the door to me wondering if she might have restricted her calories too much causing some of those symptoms, or cut her carbs to zero rather than 20. It also seems she didn't take much into consideration that she could have more carbs later on - she was halfway through induction and jumped ship so soon, unfortunately. Too bad - we need witty writers like her writing supportive articles on the low carb movement. I wrote her a note mentioning a few of those potential gotchas that may have made her efforts appear harder to follow than they should have.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 22:35

Plan: General LC
Stats: 240/175/165 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Her mind was made up long before she wrote the article. I doubt she even was on it the 32 hours she claims. Another dis-information slam.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 00:38

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I, too, am eagerly awaiting the "All You Can Eat Pizza-Beer-and-Fudge-Marble-Cake-Diet" that allows you to indulge freely and loose 50 pounds in a single week.

Meanwhile, until that eating plan is perfected, I intend to continue with my Atkins LC approach.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:11

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

First post here, but I just had to reply to this article. I tried Weight Watchers for several months. Faithfully kept track of my points, drank my water and gained weight. Yes, GAINED weight. Well, I start Atkins tomorrow. According to a couple of friends, I should be on my way to a much healthier weight.

Thanks for posting this article. I actually got a good chuckle out of it.

Shorty
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 01:23

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

This woman suffers from a severe addiction. She needs Atkins more than she will ever know.
danny