Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 18:50

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

Welcome back....today is a brand new day to a brand new you and it is never too late to get back on track..welcome back, good luck and I wish you much success...I believe in you, your last 2 days lookk excellent...YOU CAN DO THIS.....Stacy
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-10, 11:57

Plan: Dirty Carnivore.
Stats: 191/163/140 Female 53"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Thanks Stacy,I haven't told anyone here except DH that I'm back on. Everyone was against it. So I'll just wait until I'm healthy and slim and when they ask what I did , I'll tell them "I just ate what I wanted and it fell off". It would be true because when it hits me right, I'll only want meat, fat & water.
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF diet
Stats: 140/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Anyone here "Zero Carbing" stop drinking coffee?? I have finally truly stopped for good, three days ago. I have finally gotten the not hunger feeling!!! Actually I am now getting nauseated from too much meat/fat. I am eating ground beef 73%. Do I eat even if I am not hungry and nauseous? I am having between 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds of beef a day. And water is my only drink. I am just not sure what is a normal amount of meat to eat???? I want to lose weight of course too. I am down a bit finally since I stopped the caffeine!! Yeah!
  #169   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple7
Anyone here "Zero Carbing" stop drinking coffee?? I have finally truly stopped for good, three days ago. I have finally gotten the not hunger feeling!!! Actually I am now getting nauseated from too much meat/fat. I am eating ground beef 73%. Do I eat even if I am not hungry and nauseous? I am having between 1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds of beef a day. And water is my only drink. I am just not sure what is a normal amount of meat to eat???? I want to lose weight of course too. I am down a bit finally since I stopped the caffeine!! Yeah!

I dont know about anyone else, but there is no way i eat if i am not hungry, but that is just me...I also fast and only eat once a day..JMO
  #170   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF diet
Stats: 140/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

ok that sounds good to me too. The only thing is I am tired. I mean my body feels weak...But I am not hungry... Today is actually day 5 of no more coffee. So shouldn't i be over the hump? And I didn't even get with drawl headaches from it. But I am feeling again like I am pushing myself just to walk around. But one great thing is my body doesn't feel water retentive and blaoted anymore. I am not sure if it was the coffee or stevia, but they are both out! Just body fatigue is left...
  #171   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-10, 18:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple7
ok that sounds good to me too. The only thing is I am tired. I mean my body feels weak...But I am not hungry... Today is actually day 5 of no more coffee. So shouldn't i be over the hump? And I didn't even get with drawl headaches from it. But I am feeling again like I am pushing myself just to walk around. But one great thing is my body doesn't feel water retentive and blaoted anymore. I am not sure if it was the coffee or stevia, but they are both out! Just body fatigue is left...

I have switched to decaff coffee, but was on & off when I started this woe so I don't know if it makes a difference. I am on day 5 too and no longer hungry, still a bit sluggish but when I was on before I had lots of energy after day 8. I hope to feel more energy any day now. I only eat about 1&1/2 to 2 cups of ground beef with butter a day, unless we have something like steak on hand.
I don't think too many on the 0 carb are eating very much and they all seem fine.
  #172   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 13:48

BF:

The cravings are just too much sometimes.
Last night I made heavy whipped cream with some cocoa and stevia. I pretended it was pudding and it held me off until bedtime.
today I am in the zone, no cravings, no nausea, and finally have some energy. YAY
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinky
The cravings are just too much sometimes.
Last night I made heavy whipped cream with some cocoa and stevia. I pretended it was pudding and it held me off until bedtime.
today I am in the zone, no cravings, no nausea, and finally have some energy. YAY

thats a great thing to have for cravings,,,,i do something like that except use sf peanut butter....unsweetened chocolate almond milk also help with my cravings...glad your having a good day...keep up the great work...proud of you...
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 17:55
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

It is my understanding (and my experience) that cravings are kept alive by anything having a sweet taste, whether it's stevia, an artificial sweetener, fruit, or sugar itself. The "taste of sweet" keeps cravings for carbs alive.
  #175   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-10, 08:23

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsmom
I dont know about anyone else, but there is no way i eat if i am not hungry, but that is just me...I also fast and only eat once a day..JMO

I never eat when I am not hungry either. I sometimes eat twice a day but lately it has been only once a day.
  #176   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 15:15

BF:

I know, it's just hard to quit sweet taste cold turkey. I get nauseated. I am a sugar addict. I'm still hanging in there.
The weight isn't moving but the body is changing so I will keep with it. I'm hoping to make this a permanent woe . I just have to make my brain and taste buds decide to give up the sweet, even the stevia.
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-10, 11:29

Stats: 276.0/250.5/199.5 Female 5'1
BF:52.1%/47.2%/37.7%
Progress: 33%
Default Atkins vs. Zero Carb

With Atkins, I noticed that in the first month there is a tremendous amount of weightloss (water-weight) and then it tends to tamper off to a much slower rate with occasional stalls and plateaus.

In regards to Zero Carb, is weight loss greater, more steady, or about the same for those of you on this plan? What has been your experience thus far?

This week for the first time I actually tracked my weight doing VLC/Low Cal and lost 3.5 lbs without exercize.

Is this typical or have any of you had different results?
  #178   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-10, 12:33
Keepin' It Real

Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Weight loss on zero carb is variable. I have been zero carb for three weeks today. I have very little, if any, weight to lose, and have not been trying to lose weight, but I have lost two pounds anyway.

My biggest joy at this point is that I have absolutely no cravings, very mild hunger, and all my previous obsessing and struggling over food has vanished. Another thing I love about it is that I can eat as much as I want whenever I want, and there is no need to measure, weigh, or curtail portion sizes. I can eat a full pound of ribeye at one sitting with all the fat.

The loss of cravings and less hunger happen fairly fast, as long as you absolutely have not a smidgen of plant matter, only animal source fat, meat, LC dairy, and eggs. No artificial sweeteners or sweet taste whatsoever, or you will keep the cravings alive. Even the thought of eating something carby or sweet can make the insulin production rise! My only holdout is one cup of coffee daily; I think someday I'll be able to release that too.

The thing about zero carb is that it is, first and foremost, a healing modality for runaway insulin production and fat storage. For people who have this compromised metabolic mechanism going on (which is practically everyone with excess fat), it is a way to put a halt to the dysfunction and put it into remission, so to speak. But it takes some time to adapt, it can be rough, and it takes a while for the insulin production to go down.

Weight loss is, of course, part of the healing process of zero carb, but it may not be an immediate or rapid result of going zero carb. Some people lose a lot of weight, even at the beginning, others lose nothing, and some even gain for a while until their bodies assimilate what's going on.

Some people will strip down to eating only meat and water, and their weight loss may increase that way. Others don't have to eliminate anything, and they lose. Others strip down to meat and water only and don't lose weight or gain a little. Their bodies are in extreme healing mode and aren't ready to release weight quite yet. Either that, or fat is being released and muscle is healing and building. Some wear smaller size clothes and no loss has been noted on the scale.

There is tons of information at the ZeroingInOnHealth.com forum. I will be happy to try and answer questions about zero carb from what I have learned over there, but if you want to really bone up on what it's all about, a perusal of FAQs and science areas of that forum is a gold mine.

This is the only way that I've ever found to see an end to the obsession and insanity of my runaway cravings and insulin, so it will be a woe for me, and the only way that I can see successfully maintaining my weight loss. I'm more at peace over food than I've ever been, and I have no plans to go back to the insanity and chaos.
  #179   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-10, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/171/168 Male 5ft 10 incjes
BF:
Progress:

Hi My name is Bob and I have been getting very close to no carb. I have been doing low carb on and off for at least 7 years with various degrees of success. When I started I weighed about 207 and got down to about 168 following Atkins. When I started adding carbs back in I got sloppy and my weight went up to about 190 and then I got serious again. I got my weight down again and once again I added carbs and then could not stop and weight went to 186. I restarted in July with my weight at 186 and now I am down to 178. I started out this time low carb but then I did new reading and I found that fruit which I ate in abundance was not really low carb so I gave up the fruit. Then I did more reading and decided to try no carb as I really think adding carbs to my diet always set me back. So now I have stopped veggies, coffee, Metamucil, Mayo, canned salmon, canned chicken, cheese, SuperGreen Protein powder, olive oil, canola oil. What I am eating is a huge amount of beef and also eggs for breakfast. The only thing I eat that may not be considered strictly no carb is avocodo with my eggs. I just can't eat my eggs without avo. I consider avo good fat anyway. I has taken me about 2 months to make this change. Not sure if I am feeling any physical changes yet and it seems my weight loss is slow but it feels good not to be eating endless bowls of blueberries and strawberries and to be constantly munching on almonds and other nuts. When I get hungry I eat meat. Seems healthier for me than stuffing myself with cheese which I had considered before, no carb and therefore ok. Not sure if I will stay on this diet indefinitely or not, have to see how it goes. Eventually I may want to add 85% dark chocolate back into my diet and it would be nice to drink red wine again.
I had posted on a general low carb how I am nervous about eating so much fatty beef. In the past when I did low carb I occasionally ate sirloin steak but mostly I ate skinless chicken breasts, all the time. Now from what I have read, the saturated fat is good, it's what my body needs, but still I am programmed to see that thick white fat, when my roast leftovers come out of the fridge and I worry about it. I read the Bear thread and I know he had a heart problem though he claims it was from before he was zero carb. Seems like a lame excuse so I do worry. So far I am committed though. I had leftover pot roast for lunch and I just had two burgers off of the grill.
Bob
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-10, 09:12

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bob, your story is a lot like my Hubby's.

Started Atkins in 2004 at 210 and got down to 170 in about 4 months. His weight wavered up and down for 5 years, falling off the wagon and gaining back 20-30lbs in 2007/08. He was over 180 when I started Zero carbs.

He dropped the carbs in Feb of 2009 and cut back on the splenda and got down to 153 in about 4 months. he never DREAMED he would ever weigh that little and if you asked he would not have wanted to. (he wanted to be 165-170) But now that he is there is is thrilled, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has a much better muscle mass than he did on Atkins. Plus he feels a whole lot better.

What he eliminated to reach his weight? About 20-30 grams of carbs in veggies. The odd diet pepsi and Atkins chocolate bar (not regular things). Low carb breads and wraps, dreamfields pasta (neither of those were regular either), sugar free cheesecake that he loved and about 6 packs of splenda a day.

He also started using full fat cream in his coffee (from 18%) and eating as much fatty meat as he wants. He will eat 6x 1/4lb meat patties for lunch and then come home and eat an 18oz steak for dinner.

You can check out his progress pictures in my link.

PS: he is 5'10" and does not exercise.