Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 07:35
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids.

Another exciting entry into Blue's Blog and what she can't eat. Strawberries. At this time, with the lichen planus, I can not eat strawberries neither fresh nor frozen. My mouth erupts in blisters. Ain't that just peachy. I've stopped eating berries for the most part but we were at a party last night and I had 3 strawberries. Instant rewards for that. Blisters and swollen lips and cheeks. Hmmmph. Oh well. Lots of other things to eat in the world and........it's only food. But I am up a half pound. I chalk that up to inflammation. Berry disappointed.

Later 'gators.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 19:28

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well it decided to rain, again. We had a beautiful week last week and my builders got tons of stuff done, Friday afternoon they got the windows and exterior door and the dog door in. So today when it was pouring rain they were able to work inside. Yesterday afternoon at 3:30 Jim the contractor came looking for me and ask if they could start taking the windows out between the old house and the new room. I was hoping for a little more notice, but I sure wasn't going to say so. So last night I buzzed around moving my current quilt projects and all the accumulated clutter of all sorts into my living room. This morning they moved my big desk away from that wall and I was gone all day, when I got home the windows were out, the door way was cut and they had boarded it all up. I love progress.

Sunday we went over to buy light fixtures. John was full of all kinds of advice, but I burst his bubble and told him this is my project and I get to pick everything. I had done tons of online research and it all went quickly. The store we went to had everything I wanted in stock, which I knew from the online site. Good thing I got all of that done, because this morning at 8 AM while we were still in our PJs the electrician showed up to learn where everything went. I am finding Jim and Andy the builders very easy to get along with and I really like the electrician who is a big dog lover.

One thing for sure, none of the misc clutter that has been hanging around for over a year (since the last time I reorganized my studio) will not go into the new room. Major pitching stuff coming up.

I am getting ready to take some of my nicer fat clothes to a consignment store. I had not thought about it, until recently when I went in the store to buy some things. I have 3 pairs of really nice lands end jeans that I hate to let go but they would fall off these days so off they go. Maybe if I sell enough stuff I can buy one pair of lands end jeans for next winter.

Weight is hovering around 159, which is good. I am still trying to eat a little bit more than I was and it seems to help, but who knows exactly why and what will work next week as Blue and Kathy were saying.

Okay, I have checked in and caught up.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 05:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Well phooey, I had typed out a reply, hit something on my keyboard and lost the entire thing! I hate when that happens.

Susan, I am so happy to hear about how well the addition is progressing. How nice

So, call this crazy but I'm back to my fat fast weight loss of 5.5 pounds. I guess I'll hold off on doing another fast next week and just see how I do. I am still, as always, eating strict low carb. 20 grams total carbs or less and eating 2 meals within an 8 hour window or less. I guess, I am just trucking along.

Blue, I hate that about the strawberries. I hardly eat any fruit but I do love strawberries. I think blueberries are my favorite, though.

Later gators!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:07
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Still holding where I've been for the past two days. Hmmmph.

No, it doesn't sound crazy to go back down at all, Kathy and I'm happy as all get-out for you! Fat cells shrink and are temporarily filled with fluid. It takes a while for the body to let that go. Keep the faith!

As for strawberries, I've stopped eating tomatoes and red bell pepper too. The acid seems to trigger blisters so, for now, I'm going to let things settle down. I know some people can't eat foods in the nightshade family but I'm uncertain as to why. Something to research.

Susan, the addition is really coming along. Now that it's under roof, the new windows and doorway should happen soon. It made me smile when you maintained control of the fixture selection. I'm right there with you. I'm giving you a cyber high-five.

We got a call this morning and our flooring is to be delivered tomorrow morning, all 122 boxes of it. The invasion has begun.
I'm concerned about what the cats are going to do during all this upheaval. Lots of planning and orchestration will have to go on. They should be safe on the porch and it does have an air-conditioner that helps some. But we are going to have to unload china cabinets, dressers, closets, et al and I'm starting to feel the pressure of getting all this done. It's like moving. Oh well, another of life's adventures.

Have a good 'un.

Later 'gators.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 19:22

BF:

Well, Blue, we can commiserate with each other over having the house torn up. My guys are taking next week off for vacation, but they made sure that everything was watertight and buttoned up before they left. I think the plumber will be here next week while they are gone. We have had to keep the dogs penned up while they are working. Because they come and go into the basement through the back door. My Joey gets really threatening to almost anyone besides John and me. Yesterday the dogs had to be in the bedroom all day because of the coming and going through the house to take the windows out. Fortunately they are puppy pad trained because they hate to go out in the winter, so I can close them up in the bedroom for a while. Today the weather was nice and they put the boards up under the eves outside. I know there is a name for those.

Yep, yesterday I spent a long time with the electrician telling him exactly where I wanted all the plugs, how many and what kind of switches. I was able to do this for my studio in New Mexico because John did all the finishing work upstairs. Our house was small and chalet shaped, but I had half of the upstairs as my studio and I planned it. It was great and I hated to leave it, but I wanted to live near the grands. When we moved here, I used the basement for my studio and I still do, for puposes of painting and dyeing etc. I can make as big a mess down there as I want since it is unfinished.

Kathy I am glad you got that loss back. Hang in there you are doing great.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 09:28
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Morning all!

Sorry for the MIA... just so darned busy. I've popped in a few times to lurk but then get sidetracked and didn't post. (***hangs head in shame***)

Love the new profile pic Blue!!!

Yes, I think the fat fast may be the key to ketosis and staying on plan. I think it is going to be my 'go to tool' for cravings and 'carb cycling'. I am the world's worst at letting carb creep derail me and I think a couple of fat fast days a week (not necessarily in a row) will be the key to kicking the cravings and the effects of carb creep before they get out of hand. I wish I had come to that realization earlier in the ball season but live and learn. I still have all stars to deal with for Lanson and then in the fall it will be fall baseball for Bryce and basketball for Lanson over the winter months. Yes. Sports.Never.End. Fat fast days will make lunches at work so much easier to plan and keep on hand. Oh yeah!!!!!

Well time flies and today I am researching OSHA's regulations on arc flashes and overall electrical safety. I have been given the task to evaluate all of our safety programs and find where they are deficient and how to bring them up to compliance if applicable. I am starting with electrical as that is our most critical area. (Did I say that while I have a general working knowledge of electricity I prefer to think of it as 'magic' and that when I flip the switch the light comes on? I really don't really like knowing any more than that.) I will be in need of lots and lots of coffee today and most of next week.

Later everyone!!!

Linda
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 09:58
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Today is a fasting day for me. I so need a fasting day. I haven't fasted this week and I haven't had astounding success yet. Dribs and dabs. I'm not throwing amazing amounts of ketones either. I hope the fasting helps kick start something.

The flooring is supposed to be delivered today. Maybe they'll get to installation next week. Otherwise they'll have to wait until we get back from our painting workshop/golfing trip to Kentucky. I know this weekend will be packing and hauling "stuff." Of course the current flooring and carpet will have to be removed by the installers. The whole flamin' house will be torn up except the bathrooms and laundry room. I wanted them to do those as well and we have the porcelain tile chosen, but the cost was an additional $3000 for those three areas and Jim claims we can do it ourselves. He's nuts, but I'm not going to argue it now. Let's just get the other flooring done first and we'll go from there. Lord, I hope it looks as good or better than I hope it to be.

I'm concerned about all this upheaval and the kitties. They can stay on the porch and it has a ceiling fan and air conditioner unit, but when it gets really hot, the air-conditioner doesn't cool all that effectively. They love the porch and wouldn't be as traumatized with all the upheaval if they were out there, I just want them to be comfortable too. They may have to sweat it out for a couple of days. Poor little guys. Cats do not like change all that much. Okay, like not at all. Come to think of it, neither do I.

I paint on the porch in the warm season and I have one of the guest rooms as my own with my art gear and tables for the cold months. It works well for me. I do prefer the porch though with it's floor to ceiling windows on three sides.

Kathy, how's your mom doing? Sis?

Okay...have to scoot before it turns into afternoon.

Later 'gators.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 10:05
It's Only Food!

BF:

Linda! I was writing as you were posting. No, it doesn't take me that long to type but I got a phone call from my IT applications support guy because one of my databases is acting funky and we're troubleshooting everything we know to do. I got sidetracked. Computer gremlins.

Linda, I SO understand about electricity. You made me feel better with you being an engineer. Yeah so I have a degree in astrophysics and I've had multiple E&M courses (electricity and magnetism) and I get that but I don't understand wiring, circuits et al. I was forced to take E&M lab courses as well and it was hell for me. We had to create circuitry, use resistors and capacitors et al. Mechanics was fine. Astronomy was fine (better than fine, actually), but electricity was a short circuit. It's just not my thing. The physics behind it, yes. The other stuff....no. Coffee...heck, adult beverage!

You and I will have to join together to reduce carb creep. I started logging foods religiously again.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 08:08
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Today is pack up the entire house day. Flooring is stacked in the dining room. Now I have to unload and pack up china, knickknacks, all closets, all bookcases, just about every flamin' thing there is. All drawers will have to be removed and stacked when the installers come. Not sure about the piano yet. We have to take care of that ourselves. Oye. This is a workout with a purpose.

Have a great weekend. Pray that I survive all this. Hugs to the lurkers. (No stink eye today.)

Later 'gators.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
Mornin', Kids.

Today is pack up the entire house day. Flooring is stacked in the dining room. Now I have to unload and pack up china, knickknacks, all closets, all bookcases, just about every flamin' thing there is. All drawers will have to be removed and stacked when the installers come. Not sure about the piano yet. We have to take care of that ourselves. Oye. This is a workout with a purpose.

Have a great weekend. Pray that I survive all this. Hugs to the lurkers. (No stink eye today.)

Blue I hope it is all going well. My upheaval is nothing like yours. It will all be worth it in the end!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 09:51

Wow, everyone is getting all of this great remodeling or room additions done. Such fun! New is always exciting!

On the weight loss front...that little down blip was just a blip, didn't last for even a 2nd day in a row. I am holding steady at a 4 pound loss from the fat fast. I am planning on a single day fast of cream cheese and macadamia tomorrow just to keep me honest.

My mom is doing so well that I am able to come home for the weekend. Honestly, she can do everything around the house. She is doing fine with the one good hand and has adapted. The one big area that they've been needing me around for is really just to help take them places. My mom can drive, no problem, but it's the "getting my sister's wheelchair in and out of the trunk" that she cannot do. So, before I left, we practiced putting the wheelchair behind the front passenger seat with only one hand. It's an incredibly light chair, only 14 pounds, so with practice Mom can do it pretty easily. Of course, now the big question is, "Can she push it?" Betsy can't drive her own chair...she's a dwarf and her arms aren't long enough to operate a chair. My mom feels as though she can push it with one hand and use her hip to help guide the other side. It is doable...I've done it myself. The other issue is opening doors and getting the wheelchair through them when they arrive at stores or restaurants without automatic doors. We resolved that by leaving Betsy outside in her chair long enough for Mom to go in and ask for help. Usually, that's not necessary because almost always someone jumps to help open doors for them. But, we worked out a game plan for "just in case."

So, if all goes well this weekend, I may not need to keep staying with them. We shall see. Fingers crossed.

Signing out for now! Happy Sunday!
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 06:00

Well, so much for today being a cream cheese and macadamia day. I've been having a touch of vertigo and this morning my tummy is a little upset. I needed something a little more substantial in it then just cream cheese and macadamia. I'll try again another day.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 08:18
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Awwww, Kathy, take care of yourself. You AND your mom are troopers. Good job on working out the new routines for her and your sister. So many things to think of that we never really notice for others. I had a dose of that when Jim was recuperating from surgery a year ago. Ran myself ragged. Others don't always get the luxury of being relieved from it in life as I have.

The house has stacks of bins and boxes. We can store them in the garage once we know when the installers plan to come. Who knows when that will happen. They can't come during the week we're in Kentucky. It's either these next two weeks or wait until after.

My weight is the same but I can't say I've been perfectly on plan. I haven't weighed foods but guessed. With the whole house in upheaval I just didn't take the time. No gain. No loss. Guess it could be a whole lot worse.

My former boss has applied for his old job back and I couldn't be happier. He did ask if I would stay around for the next couple of years. I told him yes unless I won the lottery.
We have our 10 year reaffirmation of accreditation due in 2017 and we'll have to start that at the end of this year. Lots of reports, data, and documentation. It's a whole college event that we'll have to manage. We came through our 5 year review unscathed which is quite an achievement. My current boss and I worked diligently on that. The 10 year is far more involved. Yeah, a lottery win is sounding pretty good right now...

Susan, your addition is looking good. Loved the pics of the doggies. Lois is building her new garage now too. All this construction going on is fun to watch. It's like our own personal HGTV episodes. Keep 'em coming!

Linda, I hope you and I can stick to our eating plans better this week. I'm renewing my fat vows with gusto!

Have a good 'un. Short week for us!

Later 'gators.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 08:52

Oh, that's cool on your former boss! I remember how much you said you'd miss him when he left. I hope he gets it!
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 18:29

BF:

Blue, I hope your old boss gets the job. That would be great. I have been a marginal observer of the big accredidation process. It happened in New Mexico when John was teaching at a university and at Grinnell College since we have lived hee. It is a big deal, you will have your work cut out for you.
Also, so glad that your husband's heart issues were caught and fixed. So glad you got to keep him.

My husband had heart surgery in 2004. An observant doctor found that he had a congenital hole in his heart. So it was fixed, he had every complication that they list when they read them off (other than death). Stroke, Afib, and pneumonia. But he came through it all like a champ.

Well last week was a wet dreary week. Dear John was so bored and down in the dumps. So I told him we could go out to eat Friday but it had to be a nice place. I splurged and had a cheese soup with a few potatoes in it and a taste of cheesecake. The entry was a nice ribeye. But I showed a gain yesterday and today I am up to 162 where I was 3 weeks ago. Drat! He can't believe that I could gain because of one day of 43+ carbs. On my fitness pal at the end of a day it will tell you how much you would weigh in 5 weeks if everyday were like that one. On Friday it said 161.3. Oh yes, if I ate like that everyday in 5 weeks it would be more like 167. No more indulgences.