Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 10:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Dr. Eric Westman/Duke Lifestyle Medicine Diet booklet/ASBP Conference

Dr. Westman announced at the local support group that his diet manual, A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet is now available on Amazon for $5. Dr. Westman has had many requests for it from people who watched his Clinic Introduction Class on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM)
and from other Bariatric Physicians* who want to use it with overweight patients. This little 24 page booklet is the simple to follow, 20g total carb plan used at the Duke Lifestyle Clinic in an easy to carry format.

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carbohydr...l/dp/1482781255

If you want to “go back to the basics” with a strict total carb food list, only using cups and tablespoons, this is a basic very low carb plan that works. If you want more flexibility using a net carb formula, then his New Atkins for a New You provides many ways to customize a low carb diet for every person’s goals.

*Dr. Westman is President-Elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians. Their Spring Obesity Conference in San Diego is having some interesting speakers, including Gary Taubes, Peter Attia, and Donald Layman.
http://www.asbp.org/cmecertificatio...conference.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Apr-04-13 at 11:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 11:54
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 13:20

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Interesting, the "Duke Lifestyle and Medicine Clinic." Duke used to be famous for the Duke Rice Diet, which was ultra low fat, low calorie, and low sodium. Duke cut ties with it several years ago, but I remember reading an article, I think in the late 90s, where people would quit their jobs, pull up stakes, and move to Durham to participate in this world class weight loss program, sometimes for years. And now Duke seems to be embracing low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 13:44

Sorry, but no. The Rice Diet has been a separate operation for ten years, and still operating, but so many people think these two are or were related. There a number of clinics in the area; some of the differences described on this recent thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=450845 Another privately owned, non-Duke program in Durham is Structure House (lately of Oz fame). "Fat City" or the "Lourdes of Lard" has a variety of diet programs, featured on an old 60 Minutes program, not long ago shown again on "Rewind".

Duke University/Hospital has three weight loss programs that I know of, there may be more. One is on-site, low fat/calorie and expensive, described in a large book from the Duke Diet & Fitness Center. There is also the Duke Center for Living, offering an integrative wellness approach and executive health program. Dr Westman's is a community-based clinic that cost less for me than going to WW, now available in a 24 page booklet.
Oh, and of course, there is now the The Duke Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery which is Bariatric Surgery..not even mentioned ten years ago. All confusing, to say the least.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-05-13 at 06:52.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 14:27

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I ordered this book but...

A 5$ US book would cost me 11$ US shipping. There is no free shipping to Canadians. I'm lazy though and I needed some other books so ordered 3 others. So a 5$ US book is now responsible for my spending 60$ US lmao. And, yes, no free shipping.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 16:12

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Shameless plug alert!

I wrote a low-carb booklet. I posted the English version in my journal. I also wrote a French version. It's free. It's 8 pages long. That's right, some guy on the internet without a doctor's degree wrote a free low-carb booklet that's shorter than any other low-carb book on this planet, including the famous Letter on Corpulence by William Banting. Send me an email or pm and I'll send you a pdf of both. Did I mention it's free and only 8 pages long?

Brought to you by Martin Levac, some guy on the internet.

---

It's about time somebody else wrote a short low-carb book. I mean, I thought it was a great idea when I was writing mine, I guess I'm not the only one who can come up with great ideas. I won't order Westman's book, but I'd like to read it because I'm curious to find out how many different ways we can summarize low-carb yet keep it just as effective as a big bulky book. Actually, I believe shorter instructions are easiest to follow.

I opened the video and the first thing I noticed is how long it is, 38 minutes. Take a moment and think of how much time you want to dedicate to reading instructions, or here how much time you want to spend sitting down listening to a doctor explain the instructions. Now take another moment and think of this video and how there's a doctor explaining the instructions with words not in the instructions themselves. To me, this sounds like we need another set of instructions to understand the first set of instructions. Not particularly logical in my opinion. I mean, if the first set of instructions were done properly in the first place, they wouldn't need a second set of instructions to explain how to read the first set of instructions, right? Instructions must stand on their own.

What?!? Criticism of a low-carb doctor by some guy on the internet? It can't be! Yes, it can. Only by criticizing ourselves do we improve. After all, don't we learn from our mistakes? And we do hate it when somebody else points out our mistakes to us, don't we. It makes us all kinds of confrontational and contentious. Well, some of you must know by now, I'm all kinds of confrontational and contentious all the time, so I guess criticizing Dr Westman is just the natural thing to do for me. We must analyze and criticize our own low-carb plans if we want to make them better for ourselves. The alternative is that we let the Conventional Wisdom Squad do it for us using all kinds of fallacious arguments we refute all the time on this forum. To me, the choice is obvious.

I like Dr Westman. I wish his book tops the list and sells tons of copies. Honestly I do.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-13, 16:26

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

AHA! www.lowcarb.ca is the first website resource listed at the end of the video. We're famous! Just a note though, the forum is the richest source of information here in my opinion. I suggest the front page link to the forum be bigger and more obvious.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 12:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Why doesn't Westman's clinic make e-book versions (Kindle, Nook, iBook) available for $5.00, too?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 14:16

It was also requested in the support group meeting and they are working on it.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-05-13 at 14:24.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-13, 07:26
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

If you watch the video it isn't necessary to order the pamphlet. Very simple instructions.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-13, 14:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky7474
If you watch the video it isn't necessary to order the pamphlet. Very simple instructions.

I don't absorb information spoken well, due to a learning disability.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-13, 09:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

His video on youtube was great. Thanks for posting this.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-13, 11:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

So it is basically 1972 Atkins, complete with the sugar-free jello (the only LC non-real food available back then).

I don't absorb spoken information well either; I have to take notes on the parts I don't already know and study them to truly absorb the material. If I'd had a transcript of the 38 minute youtube video I could have skimmed and highlighted the key points in under 5 minutes. It was interesting to see Eric Westman's demeanor, but I could have done something else with the other 33 minutes of my life. I have this problem with all lectures recorded on video with no transcripts.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-07-13 at 11:36.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-13, 12:34
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

There is a drop down transcript but it pretty much sucks.

Quote:
0:28
welcome back to the duke

0:30
lifestyle medicine clinic

0:31
i'm doctor eric westmont and i'd like to teach you how to do the notion there is

0:36
no starch diet

0:39
i try to put everything into the title of this

0:42
so i mean this program no sugar at no starch

0:46
the reason for that is that this is a very scientific

0:49
kind of diet

0:50
when you have children starch in the diet

0:53
raises the butcher

0:55
and then insulin goes up in the blood

It's worth a laugh I guess!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-13, 12:52

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

He's president-elect of the bariatric physician's society? Do they have much influence in general dietary advice, like the AHA or ADA (gag)? Maybe they don't advise on that sort of thing?

Last edited by Ilikemice : Sun, Apr-07-13 at 13:00.