Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 10:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 140/130/110 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Is any one losing weight?

I've been checking out this board for a few days now with great interest, and am very interested in trying this way of eating. But is any one actually losing any weight? I live really close to a 24 hour Tesco's and my hunting and gathering skills are really keen especially for large bags of lazy nuts. Can I really eat as many nuts as I like or do I need to watch my calorie count like every other weight loss program? I would like to here from any one who has had great weight loss and tips you could share.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 22:05

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Talking I'm not really Paleo as such, but...

first of all, GET AND READ THE BOOK! THIS IS MUCHO ESSENTIAL! ...

second, if you want to lose weight faster, generally stick to a "winter diet" of leafy greens and meat....once you're weight is stablized you can start adding nuts and fruit as you like. (my faves are macadamias, YUM!!!)

I myself do the CAD route, but I generally keep in mind the paleo philosophy (on my one carb inclusive meal a day, I try to add fresh fruit instead of french fries!...I don't always succeed!)

I do lose weight when I stick to it, which I intend to do now that I've experimented with some other crazy crap which shall remain unmentioned.

Good luck!
Steve
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

i have been eating meat, eggs, and veggies (and some butter and cheese) for the last month, and i have not lost anything (a stall)... and i know why that is... because, during this past month, i was also eating nuts... because of the carbs in them, if you munch away, you will not lose. back in july, when i ate meat and eggs and a few veggies for almost the whole month, i did not eat any nuts, seeds, fruit, and i lost a lot of weight and especially body fat... then i started to eat nuts and fruit and put the weight right back on... and also got back into eating sugar junk food (yuk!)

my advise is almost to eliminate nuts, seeds and even most fruits from the diet all together (if you want to remain on low carb). i have always lost body fat when doing so... and always gained it back when not. so, it is really not a thing of counting calories, as much as it is in counting carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Nuts are not recommended in the induction phase of Atkins. They are allowed in moderation later but Dr. A suggests buying the 1 to 2 ounce packages so you are not tempted to overindulge. And yes! I'm losing...58 pounds and my hubby has lost 61.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

well... if you go 118 days without cheating... no wonder you are losing!!! That is so way fantastic! I really admire you for that... I was up to 28 days and blew it... but, starting tomorrow I am going for that triple digit like you have. congrats on being so committed!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks! I have to tell you the truth though...my DH cheats pretty regular and the rascal still loses. I couldn't do it though. It's just wouldn't ork with my metabolism. Wanted to wish you good luck...YOU CAN DO IT!