Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 06:43

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Has an instructor ever embarrased you?

Went to my first ever exercise training session last night. It was the first time I have gotten "down on the floor" with my friends. I'm flexible so although I am extremely out of shape I tried some of the positions she was showing to other more experienced students.......when it was time to get out of the position the teacher said for all to hear... Now can she get out of it...speaking of a particular position and me....it really embarrassed me and hurt my feelings.

I truly don't think she realized how hurtful her words were. I know that I don't have to go to her sessions anymore so I won't. It just wasn't a very good introduction to trying something I've never done before.
Scotiagirl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 08:51

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 440.0/421.0/200.0 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Wow - I have never heard of any trainer being like that at all. They are there to encourage - not to assume you can't do it, especially out loud. The trainer I have is very nice, supportive, and encouraging.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I guess some people can't keep their thoughts inside and don't worry about the things they say about other people.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 08:59

BF:

It was rather an exclusive place, you know, one had a personal pilates teacher come to her home 3X a week, of course her trainer and this trainer were great friends. I guess I just didn't fit in to this group well and it was obvious.
Thanks for letting me know that there are supportive trainers out there, I'll have to find one.
What types of routines are you doing? How often do you meet with your trainer?
Scotiagirl
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 09:02

BF:

I have basically set my own routine at this point. I always do cardio at first, then work on upper body, abs, legs or total body workout. That is what my trainer taught me to do.

I haven't gotten to meet with her lately as my work schedule has changed and we are on very different work schedules. But luckily, where I go, there are a lot of trainers and they are all willing to work with anyone.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 09:49

BF:

thanks toni for getting back to me, I am very out of shape, cardio scares me. I did an exercise video this morning, it has abs, legs, arm and even neck stretches, of course I could not do all the repetitions. My biggest fear is cardio though, I get out of breathe so easily. Any suggestions for something I could do at home as a start.
Scotiagirl
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 10:23

BF:

I am not an expert by any means - but I will tell you (and take it from me), it definitely gets easier as you go further along. I am extremely overweight and out of shape...and I am a smoker - so I get out of breath easily as well. I just started doing cardio a few days ago and I can already walk faster and longer and not feel so winded.

My opinion, and suggestion, is to work on one part of your body a day, then set a day for a full body work out. This is what my trainer told me. One day do upper body, one day do legs, then do a total body workout one day. Allow yourself a couple days in between if you're sore due to the workout.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 10:43

BF:

Your opinion is what I want. I really have no idea how to start cardio, how did you start. I'm hope this doesn't sound too simple to answer, but I really do get winded easily and I would like your answer.
Scotiagirl
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 10:51

BF:

Basically I just sucked it up and walked 20 - 25 minutes at a speed that was faster than my normal speed (i.e - walking at work or around the grocery store.)

Today when I went I stuck at a steady 2.9 MPH instead of going between 2.5 and 3.0 - I just made myself stay at the same speed instead of when I got tired I slowed down.

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 11:32

BF:

I can do that I Think, or should I say I could try that. I think the walking faster plan is a great idea. I have never been able to jog let alone run, I bow to anyone that can. I like the security of doing things at home, I don't like walking by myself....and since my first experience in a group was not so great I'll have to figure out a way do my walking at home. Maybe it's time to go get a second hand treadmill.
Thank you for your support toni, I really appreciate it more than you will ever know.
Scotiagirl
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/269/154 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:43.7/..../24.9
Progress: 2%

Depending upon your personality, and whether you want to continue to do this with your friends, just laugh it off. "Of course I can get out of it. I got into it, didn't I?" And move on.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 12:42
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Scotiagirl, for what it's worth, I'm leading a Learn to Run clinic at my local running store right now. Your issues with not being able to breathe, getting winded easily, are common. Many of our clinic members have the same issue.

I can give you a couple of hints, much of it learned from my time as a severe asthmatic and some from running.

1. Go slow. Obviously, this is for running more, but basically, your legs are probably fitter than your lungs. Slow it down if you need to so that you can breathe, you might just be pushing yourself too hard. You should be able to talk while you are doing cardio. Not sing, and talking might not be as easy as if you are sitting, but you should be able to talk to someone, even if it's a little hard. If you can't talk, you are pushing too hard for now. Wait until your breathing is better before you push yourself that hard.

2. Breathe out for double the count you breathe in. Old asthma trick. The air will go into your lungs on it's own, but if you don't get all the old air out, there is no where for it to go. Concentrate on exhaling all your air. Breathe in for a count of two and out for a count of 4 to push more air out.

3. Purse your lips when you exhale and push the air out a bit. It might feel odd at first, but it really helps get the air all out of your lungs.

4. Distract yourself. Sometimes it's a self-fulfilling problem, the breathing difficulty. People get worried because they've had the problem, concentrate on it and it makes it worse.

Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 14:20

BF:

Wow, Valerie you are one of the people I bow to, I'm so impressed that you can run.....and leading a clinic..I'm even more in awe.
The information you have given me is very helpful. I have printed it off. This along with Toni's information is exactly what I was looking for and thank you both for not making me feel dumb for asking.
It's hard to start when everyone else seems to be so far ahead and will probably always be better than you.
Thank you both for your kind words and encouragement.
Scotiagirl
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 14:28

BF:

ADWeller, I chose to get out of it, when I'm closer to fitting in then "I'll fit in". I'm old enough to not have to do everything with my friends, not like when I was younger and I use to call and see what my other friends were wearing. I guess it just hurt to be so out of shape and my friends to see even an instructor would say something. One of friends even said "I noticed you gain some weight...(over 30lbs). I was not offend by my friends question, she was more concerned, the instructor however made me feel inadequate, which my friend did not. So I'm going to move on, but I am going to learn to move.
Thanks for caring about what was hurtful to me. This forum rocks and so do you.
Scotiagirl
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 14:29
macabrem

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaGirl
Went to my first ever exercise training session last night. It was the first time I have gotten "down on the floor" with my friends. I'm flexible so although I am extremely out of shape I tried some of the positions she was showing to other more experienced students.......when it was time to get out of the position the teacher said for all to hear... Now can she get out of it...speaking of a particular position and me....it really embarrassed me and hurt my feelings.

I truly don't think she realized how hurtful her words were. I know that I don't have to go to her sessions anymore so I won't. It just wasn't a very good introduction to trying something I've never done before.
Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl,
Good for you for trying these positions. It's a shame that the instructor put her foot in her mouth.

Not to get too psychological on you, but it sounds like she was probably trying to draw attention to herself and not you, probably just to sound funny. But it was a stupid thing for her to say outloud.

I hope that if the class is in the least bit interesting that you don't let that one incident bother you - you may go back and have a spectacular time. And, who knows, you may get an unsolicited apology from the instructor once her brain catches up to her mouth.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-09, 14:42

BF:

Thanks Macabrem, I don't think she even will give it a second though.
I asked my husband when he got home from work today if he knew the woman who taught the class, he did.
She is in her sixties from a very well to do family, was very athletic in her time and prefers to teach the same "type" of person. I guess it's a status thing. By the way...not a laugh or a joke during the whole session.
So I have given myself permission to move on with out her and thanks to all the kind words, including yours, I can.
Scotiagirl