Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 13:30
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jen:

But doesn't that number seem really low to you? I mean, I'd be lucky to gain 10 lbs of muscle from lifting. So that means that I'm only increasing my metabolism by 60 calories/day by busting my butt lifting weights? Am I missing something? LOL, I could have sex everyday and burn 60 calories.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 15:01
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Wanda

I was wondering the same thing. Is it really only 6 cal per pound?

red
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 17:51

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Hi elijaeger:
--edit-- elijaeger, I hope that doesn't sound demeaning about the "age" thing, I didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to show the difference between now and then.

HA HA yeah, I know, us youngsters have it so easy.... but yeah, I have heard about chronic dieters, and you can have health problems as a result. As well, it seems your body gets used to the constant dieting, and can really shut down your BMR if it feels it is starving.

I have heard the same about the 6 cals/lb. I think the main benefit to weight lifting /muscle growth is more about calorie expenditure in the muscle repair/growth. It takes quite a few calories to grow muscle. The added benefit of 6 cals per day per pound of muscle is just extra.

Just a thought... since dieting causes problems, have you tried 2 weeks dieting, 2 weeks gaining, that sort of thing? It is cyclical of sorts, maybe easier on you.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 18:35
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
HA HA yeah, I know, us youngsters have it so easy....
I was also going to mention the "male" thing, but I thought I'd take it easy on ya.

Quote:
I have heard the same about the 6 cals/lb. I think the main benefit to weight lifting /muscle growth is more about calorie expenditure in the muscle repair/growth. It takes quite a few calories to grow muscle. The added benefit of 6 cals per day per pound of muscle is just extra.
Oh, that makes sense. I'd forgotten that component. Yep, the growth hormone issue. <<slapping forhead>>

Quote:
a thought... since dieting causes problems, have you tried 2 weeks dieting, 2 weeks gaining, that sort of thing? It is cyclical of sorts, maybe easier on you.
That's a good thought. I was thinking of something like that too.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.

Wanda
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 18:38
"Natural Mystic"

Quote:
Oh, that makes sense. I'd forgotten that component. Yep, the growth hormone issue. <<slapping forhead>>
Huh? Please explain.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 20:44

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I had never heard the 6 cal/pound deal, so I have no idea if it's accurate. Doesn't sound accurate, but as you mention there could be other factors involved. BTW, do y'all think fitday underestimates cals burned during sex? I stopped even entering it as an activity.

Jen
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 20:47
"Natural Mystic"

Jen. Good question. Maybe someone will answer.

red
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 06:36
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Red:
Quote:
Huh? Please explain.

I'm sure someone else will be able to put it more intelligently, but in a nutshell, the process of "injuring" (or micro-tearing) the muscle during lifting requires a recovery process whereby growth hormone is released to help repair the muscle. Growth hormone is powerfully lipolytic (fat burning) as well as anabolic.

Jen, that number DOES seem low. But now I remember seeing it written somewhere else in a study from awhile back. I'll look into it when I get a minute. As far as the sex..... well, LOL we won't go there.......

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Aug-30-04 at 07:20.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 07:30
Mad Scientist

BF:

HI Jen:

Here it is: Fitness Facts & Myths

Quote:
The too-good-to-be-true myth is one that I had believed. I had thought, and so did many people, that if you build muscle that muscle will burn more calories and fat and therefore throughout the day, even if you do nothing, even if you just sit still, you will automatically be burning more calories, your metabolism will be higher. Unfortunately, that’s not true. I asked an exercise physiologist to do a calculation for me. If a man goes to a gym and lifts weights seriously for four months he might build about four pounds of muscle, which is a lot; a woman would build much less. That four pounds of muscle would burn an extra 24 calories a day. That’s like a bite of a cookie.
I'm not exactly sure that I believe this and it obviously doesn't tell the whole story. There wasn't enough detail about how they went about this process.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Aug-30-04 at 08:07.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 08:12
"Natural Mystic"

Thanks Wanda for the explanation.

Quote:
That four pounds of muscle would burn an extra 24 calories a day. That’s like a bite of a cookie.
Okay it's confirmed then. I just assumed it would be more.

red
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 10:48

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

I guess one could think about it this way - why would your body need to spend energy maintaining a tissue unless you were using it? If you lift weights, gain muscle, then lay down for 3 weeks, why would your body want to waste all these calories on that muscle?

So yes, I agree say true benefit of weight lifting (weight loss wise) is the increased energy cost of repairing muscle damage. The 48-72 hours after a workout burns a ton of calories as your body seeks to repair the damage.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 10:53

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Wanda, have you tried the BMR calculator?
I have been using it to set my caloric levels and am having good results. Weight (fat) loss is really all about a caloric deficit.
Focus on the deficit!

Jeff
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-30-04, 13:07
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Jeff:

My food tracking program allows me to use either the Harris-Benedict or Mifflin St. Jeor calculator. If I were totally sedentary with no exercise whatsoever (which isn't the case), I'd eat 1251 calories/day. I don't even lose on 1251 calories with my exercise. I won't go below that amount because I'm really not into bingeing, feeling drained, losing muscle mass, or being constantly hungry. I'd rather NOT lose fat than deal with the binge demons. Seriously! That's how I got into this mess.

Bottomline is that calorie deficit isn't working for me anymore (not that it ever worked that well for me since my late 30s).

Wanda