Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 06:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/176/180
BF:
Progress: 108%

Thanks Starrunner

I wanted to do New York, but i didn't get in the lottery. I think I'm going to do the Baltimore Marathon. It is the 3rd Annual and I heard it is a nice run through the "inner harbor". Last year they had 4000 runners and this year they are expecting 6000 to 8000. I had been considering Chicago or Marine Corps but It's kind of late to start with hotel stuff. I have a brother-in law that lives in Baltimore so I can stay with him, also it's a short 5 hour drive from Charlotte. I also heard that some years, spots open up later on in the New York Marathon after people drop out, so i will hope for that and if not.....it's off to Baltimore.
Thanks for the info on the drink. I looked it up on the internet and Ultima sound good. Only 9 carbs per 20 ounces with 150 potassium and 75 sodium along with many other vitamins. I see it is sweetened with Stevia. I have never tasted it......how is the taste of Ultima and do they make a gel.

Have a good day
See Ya
Mike

http://hometown.aol.com/mrabinow/myhomepage/index.html
Mike
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 10:58

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

What is hammergel, and how many carbs in it?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 10:58
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally posted by mrabinow
Hey Gang

I am training for a fall marathon. I take in about 40g carbs a day. I have done 2 half marathons in the spring. I am up to 14 miles as my long run during training. So far I have no problem with energy during runs just intaking water. I know that will probably change. What can I use during runs to energize myself without getting off the LC lifestyle. I have heard about hammergel. Is that less carbs than the other brands. Any info would be helpful

Thanks
Mike

http://hometown.aol.com/mrabinow/myhomepage/index.html

Hammergel uses maltodextrins as its carb source. I think the maltodextrins are utilized like any carb but without stimulating an insulin response. Regardless, as long as you are running the carbs get absorbed and sent to the muscles without the need for insulin.

With that in mind you can eat whatever you like during the marathon. Just be sure it's something that your stomach can handle. I've found some flavors of hammergel bother my stomach. Especially espresso flavor.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 11:29
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Congrats kaypeeoh! Well done. You all are amazing.

I have just started trying to run on the treadmill last week. I do it on my cardio days.
First I do my BFL 20-Minute cardio routine--walking on treadmill
Then I do a 21 minute run-walk program: I run 2 mins then walk 1 min. I do this 7 times=21 minutes (guess it's more like a jog)
Then I do Interval program walk for 40 minutes.

I will try to do this every other day.

I am at 20g of carbs. I noticed ever since I started working out my weight loss has stopped. I can't figure out why.

Keep up the great job.

Peace
red
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 17:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Mike,
Ultima tastes pretty good to me, not sweet or syrupy. I like the orange flavor
best.
I don't think they make a gel. Carboom
is supposed to be a more natural gel, made with fruit. You might like it.
It seemed to upset my stomach so I prefer GU and powergel.

I ran 10 miles yesterday on 2 GU. I didn't really eat any extra carbs the day before, and in my workout today I was really wiped out. I don't want to eat too many carbs, but I really ran out of energy today.

Judy
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 07:57
Registered Member

BF:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red1cutie
[B][COLOR=crimson][font=comic sans ms]Congrats kaypeeoh!
I am at 20g of carbs. I noticed ever since I started working out my weight loss has stopped. I can't figure out why.

Keep up the great job.

Peace
red

20g carbs is pretty low. If you are judging weight on what the scale says, it might be you are adding muscle while still losing fat. A skin fold caliper will give you an idea of your body fat percentage. It doesn't show wild weight changes that one sees when weighing after a hard workout or "time of the month".
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:46

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:
Default Some questions from a newbie runner

Okay, maybe I don't even qualify as a newbie. I'm really in pathetic shape. My problem is that in two and a half weeks, I'm scheduled to run a 10K with my hubby, and our training was put on hold for nearly a month because he had a head injury (I kept working on improving my endurance via an elliptical trainer, but found out very quickly and painfully that it isn't the same thing ).

So now I have 2.5 weeks to figure out how not to completely destroy myself over the course of 10K. I'm using the Galloway run/walk method, but my stamina sucks. Should I just take it easy and focus on gentle training and lots of rest, or push myself and rest up a few days for the race, or what?

Also, I'm assuming that the +-20g carb that I'm accustomed to is not going to cut it over the course of 10K, and may have contributed to my dismal first training run. But I'm not sure how much to increase my intake without losing the benefits of ketosis. I'm not a big person, so I don't think I need a whole lot. I was thinking 40g for a few days prior, and maybe as much as 50-60g on race day (and maybe the next day to refuel). Does that sound reasonable to the seasoned runners here?

Also, I've read about using dextrose to refuel the muscles during exercise. Is that appropriate in this situation, or should I wait until I can experiment on my own to try it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I can't find a whole lot of information which pertains to people LCing and everything I read about is carb-loading, which I'm not interested in doing because I'd lose ketosis.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!

Last edited by Alopex : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 18:00.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 17:31
Registered Member

BF:

I've never trained for a 10K. But I think with only 2.5 weeks to go, you can't do much to help yourself but you can do a lot hurt yourself. Stick with slow running and plan on finishing, not racing. Also, I doubt anyone carbo-loads for a 10K. I'd suggest grapefruit juice a few days before the run and more after. You can try Gu, a quick carb source available in any running store, to have during the run. Or Hammergel which is about the same thing but harder to find.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 18:10

BF:
Progress:

LOL, KPO. Racing hadn't even entered my mind. I think it will be all I can manage just to finish with frequent walking breaks. It probably seems piddly to you considering the distances you're used to running, but this is my first "race" and I've never run before. Well, nothing that would put me in the category of "runner," anyway.

As for the carb-loading, it seems that pretty much everyone there will be doing it. The carbs are being offered free by the bushel for runners. Waffles and bagels and juice. None of which will be suitable for me.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can find some unsweetened grapefruit juice at a nearby store. I'm hoping someday I can run even a third of the distance you can. But that's in the very distant future! LOL
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:

I hate to sound perjorative but "carbing" for a 10K is downright silly. A post race bagel would be plenty for anyone, and too much for someone on Atkins. I bet the food is to create a party atmosphere, not because the runners need it. A 10K slow jog would take an hour. If it's hot out, I'd worry more about fluids. You can carry water and electrolyte tabs easily. That way you don't need gatorade, which is loaded with sugar.

Good luck.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 08:45

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

KPO,
Running 52 mls is amazing! I am working up to 52 miles ON MY BIKE!
My hat off to you!

One quesion, you said:
Quote:
I ran 52.4 miles on about 1000 calories. The race is run at roughly 9000ft altitude with some serious hills. I estimate I burned nearly 10,000 calories: 180 calories per mile times 52.4 miles.

Did you mean 10,000 calories? is this 10 kcal? or 10,000 kcal?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, KPO. 10K really isn't very far (okay, well it is for me, but I know it isn't very far), and like you said, it should take about an hour at a comfortable pace.

So I was confused when Nike (they're putting the race on) recommended "carbing-up" for the run. I never carbed up for my hour long cardio sessions, and never had any problems. But their recommendations made me concerned that maybe there was something I was missing, and since I'm not a runner, I needed a LC runner's advice.

It will be hot. And humid. Neither of which things I cope well with. But I'm glad you helped to clear that carbing thing up for me. (My body isn't as efficient at glycogen sparing as yours is, so I'll probably need more carbs than you would, but I won't bother worrying about it anymore. It won't make a huge difference.) I'll probably take some nuts to snack on (portable and electrolyte-filled), and have some burgers minus buns after the race.

Thanks again, KPO!

Last edited by Alopex : Thu, Jul-10-03 at 10:17.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 11:44
Registered Member

BF:

ARIE:

I don't have any Hammergel handy to check the label but I think it's about 100 calories per tablespoon. During the 11 hours I was running I went through five or six tablespoons and some salty pretzels but not the really big ones. The 1000 calories was a "guesstimate". So was the 10,000 calories burned. My treadmill lets me enter my weight. Then it reads out the number of calories burned per mile. It alters the readout depending on the incline. So for a 10% incline I'm burning 400 calories per mile. At zero incline it says I'm burning 140 calories per mile. Since this was a very hilly run I split the difference and assumed I was averaging 180 cals per mile. Clear?