Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:56
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Default Keto Milk Hint

I found a way to make Keto milk a little more palatable. I mix it ahead of time in a rubbermaid-type 1 qt bottle, and refigerate it at least overnight before using. A dash of cream helps the flavor as well.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/169/150 Female 70 inches
BF:28/24.9/19
Progress: 37%

Thanks for all the product reviews. I will be buying by first Keto products tomorrow at the store. I cannot take one more morning without cold cereal. I am willing to brave the milk!

I have had good experiances with some of the products so far. I like the bars, most of them so far. My one bad experiance was a bar called Cool Cappaccino I picked up at Whole Foods Market - The 'coffee' taste
came from actual GROUND COFFEE. Surprise - ground coffee tastes exactly like coffee grounds.

As far as bad taste goes, I remember all to well the taste of the many a cheap Wal-Mart cookie I ate. If I am compromising taste, atleast there is no cellulite to go along with it.

As for the shakes, my husband got one sip thru the first chocolate shake before out came the blender and 1 packet of splenda and a touch of heavy cream later and he was finally content to drink it.

Me, I need to put a little heavy cream in them to kill that chocholate and water (Slim-Fast-ish) taste.
  #213   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:21
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Enhancing Keto Golden Original Pancake Mix

I've figured out a system of enhancing the Keto Golden Original Pancakes. When you are making the 3 pancake serving, add one egg and about a heaping TBSP of flaxseed meal, and sprinkle with cinammon or nutmeg.

This makes them extra fluffy. Extra egg is a wonderful LC addition to LC bake mixes.

To give the pancakes an orange flavor with an additional nutrition boost, add 1 dry tsp of Ket-O.J.
  #214   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:27

Stats: 187/156/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs up Made with Splenda

Hi,

I haven't seen the following products mentioned in this thread, so thought I'd bring them up.

The first is a breath mint called Blitz Sugar Free Powermints. It is made with Splenda and comes in several flavors. Nutritional and other information can be found here: http://www.deepdiscountnutrition.com/blitpow.html

I love 'em!

Another produce my husband and I tried this weekend while on a road trip and needing a sweet fix is the Baskin Robbins hard candy (found at Wal-Mart). I bought a package each of the Fruit Medley (Strawberry, Orange and Raspberry) and the Mint Chocolate and we enjoyed every flavor. My hubby commented that it seemed amazing that something that tastes so good could be a "diet" candy.

The package lists the following:

TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE 15 GM
Sugars 0
Isomalt 15 gm

A serving size is 4 pieces.

Now...it says the candy is sweetened with Splenda, but it contains 15 gm Isomalt. I don't know what that means, but I do know that's 0 net grams carbs for us! If you haven't tried them, do!

Karen in Montana
  #215   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:15

Stats: 175/161/130 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'll second the fact that the Ketato mix (I had the bacon/chive one) was completely nasty. You're better off making the mashed cauliflower w/ heavy cream.
  #216   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 00:19

Plan: 8/19/03 SBD
Stats: 133/130.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:25%
Progress: 19%
Default Some LC items I recently tried.

Hello all,

Here are some of my opinions on LC products that I recently tried.

LeCarb Icecream-Chocolate Almond, after putting it in the microwave for 10 seconds the taste and texture was just like regular icecream. They definitely don't skimp on the almonds. I also tried the Vanilla and Cinnamon, again good texture on both but taste wise they didn't stand out for me.

CarbSlim Bites in Peanut Butter-Milk chocolate coating outside of a crispy Crunch like candy shell with a nice mild peanut butter flavor center. The size and shape are similar to Whoppers candy.
These were really good and can get very addiciting! Thank goodness these aren't made with Maltitol, otherwise I would have had my normal stomach upsets when eating LC chocolate candy.

Keto Ketchup-Taste and texture is just like Heinz ketchup, just a bit sweeter.

Carbsense Tortilla Chips in Pico de Gallo-These were a bit grainy, after adding shredded cheese, green onions and salsa I couldn't really tell.
So far these are the best tasting LC tortilla chips I have had.

Just the Cheese-These were too salty to me and left a greasy aftertaste in my mouth.

Carbense Garlic & Herb Pizza Crust Mix-I followed the exact directions but the pizza crust came out grainy and rubbery. I put it back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes but it was still not edible. The garlic and herbs made my kitchen smell like a pizzeria, but the crust just did not come out right. It could have just been a fluke with my oven.

That's all for now.

-Ang
  #217   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 15:52
Registered Member

Plan: custom/Atkins
Stats: 152/145/138
BF:
Progress: 50%

Why bother with KETO milk? Use some half and half. There are zero carbs. Its very satifying and will stick with you longer.
  #218   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlinc
Why bother with KETO milk? Use some half and half. There are zero carbs. Its very satifying and will stick with you longer.

Half and half does have carbs...about 10.4 grams per cup. Heavy cream (whipping cream) has 6.5 grams of carb per cup.
You need to be careful with labels and serving sizes. Usually cream or half and half lists the serving size as 1 tablespoon which has less than 1 gram of carb, so legally they can label it as zero grams per serving. That doesn't mean that there are no carbs in it at all, just that the amount in one serving is small enough that they can say zero.
  #219   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 13:14

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 167/145/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs down Keto tortilla chips classic corn/Just the cheese

I bought these today and I think they are awful The corn chips are like paper no flavor and the Just the Cheese has a good flavor but the consistency is YUK. Anyone else tried these? I am opening a low carb food store in Sylvania, Ohio next month and I would like to know some great products to put in it including a good tortilla chip. Thanks.
  #220   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 01:12

Plan: 8/19/03 SBD
Stats: 133/130.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:25%
Progress: 19%

I didn't like Just the Cheese either, too salty to me.

Some yummy items you should consider in your future store:
LeCarb Icecream
Atkins Icecream cups
Glenny's Fudgies Brownies, Rasberry and Mint
Carbsense Tortilla Chips
  #221   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 167/145/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 52%

thanks so much
  #222   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 19:59
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I liked the Keto chips before they "improved" them. The Nacho Cheese ARE better than the plain. DON'T try the "Keto Keeters" unless you have nothing to live for!

I really DO prefer the Keto bars to Atkins, though. The fruit spreads are delicious, too!

You'll find many opinions here in the forum, so happy hunting!
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 02:29
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 62/58/54
BF:
Progress: 50%

The new ketato mix is great! Not the rubbery consistency of the old ones. And their bars are getting better, too
Kati
  #224   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%

The newest LC tortillas to hit the market, "Adios Carbs", are quiet good.

They are available in two sizes, regular & burrito, as well as several flavors (plain, jalapeno, red chile, garlic and CHOCOLATE). I've found them at synerydiet:

http://www.synergydiet.com/tortillas1.html

They are a bit higher in carbs, but well worth it for the taste.

Happy hunting,

Holly
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default My Reviews...

Keto Shakes
Chocolate Peanutbutter- Pretty good
Egg Nog- Loved it with some pumpkin pie spice mixed in
Banana Creme- Was the thickest Ive tried so far
Chocolate Fudge- Pretty good for a chocolate shake
Peaches and Creme- It was okay...though I dont really care for peaches all that much...

Atkins RTD Shakes
Vanilla- My favorite
The coffee one (I forget the name)- My second favorite
Chocolate- I think the one I was was the regular chocolate, I didnt care for it tons...
Strawberry- Ick

Atkins Bars-
Ive tried all of them except the coconut, and I liked them all...

Carbwise-
Only tried the smores so far. Mmmm!! Rice crispie treat!

Keto Crisp-
I tried the Original and the chocolate and liked them both with some Soy Slender. The Original had more of a crunch though.

Russell Stover SF-
Ive only bought the plain chocolate ones but theyre good! Tastes just like regular chocolate

Russell Stover LC-
Tried the chocolate truffle. Mmm.

Keto Ketchup-
Better than regular ketchup!

LeCarb Icecream-
Cinnamon is my favorite so far, then chocolate. Though they do get very hard, might wanna set em out for a lil bit before you plan to eat it.