Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 19:34

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%
Default TSP: A little out of the LC loop

Is it just me, or does TSP seem luxurious compared to Atkins or some of the other plans (particularly if you're eating the higher end of carbs per meal)? I'm starting to feel like I'm not relating to the people who are doing Induction--and there are a lot of them here. Twenty grams a day? Pshaw! That just has no appeal whatsoever...not that it ever DID really, but at least there was mutual suffering when that was my goal. Now, I can't really comment on that stuff because it doesn't apply to me. My Mom is eating LC now. She doesn't specify what plan--I guess Atkins would be the closest thing. She's lost more weight than I have (and within a month or so). And we don't have a whole lot to talk about because she doesn't eat the things I eat! Everything I eat has too many carbs for her!

Anyway, just random thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:25

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%

I totally agree with you...I would not try an egg fast or eat pork rinds if my life depended on it! I find it hard to sometimes sit tight and listen to my folks when they talk about all the low carb food they are eating ( my dad is diabetic) but look at all the AS they use...my mom is actually trying stevia as she is noticing how much better I am feeling but, my dad, well there is no hope. We just don't talk about it anymore...or at least I try...I find I am really encouraging them to eat more protein...they eat tons of fruit and veggies...that has never been an issue but I believe perhaps too much...especially milk...my dad drinks a ton of milk and I am so frustrated with it as DR.S points out the way in converts into sugar in the blood stream...so yes, I find it hard...that being said I still eat with my folks alot, I just choose different things...they don't give me a hard time...it is more likely to be me giving them my two cents...but I am getting better....the other thing I have noticed with some of my friends is the whole bar and shake thing...I am no longer doing that stuff at all so that also makes things tough...plus the whole general going out to certain types of restaurants is off the list of things to do as well...oh, well...I am sure a balance will be achieved and I know what I am doing is really healthy and that I can sustain it with mild ventures out occasionally but, I know I could not eat a million pork rinds or try an egg fast any day....usually I just stick to the TSP portion here....the other stuff I don't relate to very well...sorry fo my ramblings...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Yes, TSP is luxurious. I feel like I am really treating myself well when I sit down and enjoy a balanced meal. My DD is on Atkins right now. She only has about 10 pounds she wants to lose. I remember when I did Atkins too. There was no talking me out of it. I had my goals and no one was going to tell me it wasn't good for me.

Piano
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 09:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it completely depends on how and why someone is following a LC program. Some people want to change their lives and heal themselves and LC is one of the tools they use to accomplish this. Others switch to LC and continue to carry on all their past habits into a LC framework. Some people don't even comprehend their own physical and mental processes and why some foods work in their favour and other foods don't.

Understanding what you need to have a better life and where you want to take it to takes focussing on what you eat out of the equation and makes a level playing field. You can talk to anyone about it if they are of like mind.

It's my belief that everyone could do better by examining what they need to really heal instead of the great lengths and contortions they go through merely to lose weight.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 171/154/150 Female 5'9"
BF:??/18.8/??
Progress: 81%

I don't consider TSP to be LC, so find that I can't really compare it to other LC diets. I call it "carb-restricted." When people ask about my diet, I say "it's a carb-restricted diet, but it's not crazy like Atkins is -- it's about balancing your carbs, protein and fat." I tracked my food on fitday.com for a couple of months and found this really to be true -- I eat approximately the same amount of grams of protein, fat, and carbs on any given day.

What always causes me a little niggling worry, though, is the percent of calories from fat. I am usually between 50 and 60 percent. I think this happens by necessity if you're balanced, because fat has more than twice the calories of carbs and protein. I just try to tell myself that Dr. S. says not to worry about the fat . . . .

At work I'm surrounded by people doing WW. They all have their 0 point salad with fat free Italian dressing for lunch. It's funny because I often have the same salad, but with meat and full fat dressing on it (with some crackers or followed by a piece of fruit). And I'm not hungry until dinner, whereas I can remember being hungry within a couple of hours in those no fat days.