Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 20:11

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 144/142/126
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Someone with book II can you answer a question?

I just bought book one (I didn't even know enough to know there were two versions) and I read it cover to cover. Then I read on her website that some people should eat a lower saturated fat diet based on Chapter 11.

Would someone mind giving me a quick summary of Chap 11 and who should eat a low saturated fat diet and how much that means?

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 08:42
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Zoeyjun:

According to Dr. S., saturated fats are not bad for you. They are required for bodily repair and function, but if you have a badly damaged metabolism, you cannot burn saturated fats for energy or use them to rebuild biochemicals. They can then keep your blood sugars higher.

If you have a degenerative disease of aging, are not following an exercise routine, are eating too many carbs from carb/sugar addiction or you are under a tremendous amount of stress or have severely burned out adrenal glands, you should follow a lower saturated-fat diet. But you must replace your fat with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, with a 1:3 ratio of Omega 3:6.

The extent to which you lower sat fat is dependant on how you respond to the eating program. There are no guidelines except monitoring your chol/trig levels, blood-sugar readings, blood-pressure and/or fat-weight changes.

HTH,
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:34

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default The New Math!!

And...um...what???

How are you putting this into action Wandabeiny?? I'm all for it - just please, for the love of all that is good, tell me how you do it.

J-Oh!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:26
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Jinxy:

LOL, that's a good question. She doesn't go into numbers or anything. Are asking how to do everything I wrote down from her book?

Personally, I'm having a hard time reducing my saturated fats. I shouldn't really say that...I've reduced them a bit from when I was doing Atkins, but I just can't give up my 10% fat mediterranean-style yogurt. I tried a whole fat yogurt yesterday and even IT was disgusting. Oh well. I've cut down on my cheese, which I really should do, not so much to reduce sat fat, but b/c of my candida and mould allergies. I found it hard NOT to eat dairy products when I was on Atkins so I've finally been able to cut down since adding some more variety into my diet.

She gives a good synopsis on pg. 245 for what to avoid in the saturated fat dep't. I think it's just one of those things you monitor to see how you feel. Like everything else in her book, it's about balance. You don't want too little or too much. I know, not much of an answer. That's why we need to encourage her to have a forum.

As for the Omega 6:3 ratio, are you asking about that? For me, I have a program that tracks my Omega intake and gives me the ratio. Although I don't "count my calories", I do use my program to help me learn about the SPII program. What can I say, I'm a data junkie. Other that that, it's a guessing game, but probably not too hard. It's hard to get too much Omega 3 so just make sure you take your Omega 3 oil each day, and you probably won't be far off your ratio. If you eat lots of Omega 6 fats (esp. mayonnaise or nuts), maybe increase your Omega 3 oil intake.

I'm not sure if I've actually answered your questions. Nothing concrete, anyway.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:45

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Wanda, where do you get 10% fat mediterranean-style yogurt and what's it's brand name?

I've never heard of it. I know for me there's no way I will ever go back to low- or non-fat yogurt. They are so bitter and sharp by comparison.

;-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:06
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Deb:

Oh, it is the most wonderful thing you ever tasted. I don't think I can help you though, b/c it's a brand out of Quebec called Liberty Mediterrane.

Oh, guess what? I checked their website and they export that product to the US. Or it was pre-mad cow, anyway. Here's the link. Maybe you can contact them to find out where you can get it.
http://www.liberte.qc.ca/html/home.asp

Good luck. It's well worth the search, trust me. I hate sour yogurt so this is like eating thick cream. See? Now I'm craving it again.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 23:15

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default Thanks Wands!!

Yeah, I meant the ratio. I mean, she doesn't actually make suggestions for how to figure out the ratio you're ingesting.

I feel a TSIII coming soon...

However, if she starts putting out a bunch of Schwarzbein junque ('que' instead of 'k' because it's expensive junk!) I would not be amused. I don't like how they all start doing their own products. Seems to really corrupt decent plans (Zone, Atkins, etc.). Why am I going into this? Sorry I was crusin' the Atkins board while this one was lost in space - I read the 'acceptable list' on the atkinscenter site and then all the frankenfood they try to get you to buy even though it is clearly NOT on this list. Time to doctor my idiotic sunburn and go to bed. Jinxy getting cranky .

J.b.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 06:47
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Jinxy:

Quote:
I don't like how they all start doing their own products. Seems to really corrupt decent plans (Zone, Atkins, etc.).

Man, I totally hear ya! This is a constant frustration for me. I can't reconcile in my mind how a plan can be healthy if it advocates fake food. The point is, how do people learn to eat healthy if they are eating processed junk food, high carb/low carb makes no difference.

Anyway, at least (I hope?) we don't have to fear this with SP. She sells the cortisol tests and supplements as services since they can both be obtained elsewhere. As for the books, it seems like all these plans are forever evolving. I have 4 Atkins books, 3 PP books, and 2 SP books (and those don't include cookbooks ).

As for the Omega ratio, I know PP also addresses the Omega ratio. They insist that people switch to olive oil instead of using vegetable and nut oils high in Omega 6. In fact, I found an extra virgin olive oil that is mild tasting so it's not overpowering in salad dressings.

With Omega 3 supplementation, you should be able to balance your Omega 6 consumption from nuts, legumes and grains. On page 251 and 252, she lists sources of Omega 3 & 6s. That will probably give you a pretty good idea. I've read too much bad stuff on eating fish (farmed and wild), so I usually take between 1-2 tsp. of uncontaminated fish oil each day, 2 tsp when I eat more nuts than I should.

HTH,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Jun-08-03 at 06:48.