Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 22:44
Pending Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 150/145/135
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Improved digestion

New to SP. Having been eating low carb about 2 weeks now and have lost 2-3 lbs. The main thing I've noticed is that my digestion is so much better. All the irritable bowel symptoms I have had for year and have been getting increasingly more annoying have calmed down. Maybe "carbohydrate intolerance" is a real thing. Also, cravings for sweets and starches have calmed down considerably. Hope this keeps up. Anyone else notice this kind of change?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 01:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Good news, I'm really glad. I was just re-reading my PPLP last night and they talk about this sort of thing. Very briefly, no sugar and lower carbs = less fermentation in the colon, less reflux back into the small intestine, ie less discomfort etc. Glad its working like it should!
Yes, my sweet and carb cravings have pretty much gone now (10 weeks in) - which is magic for a former chocolate and biscuit monster. DH can have them in the house and I'm not interested!!
Take care, Jay
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 16:32

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Totallly!

I've been way less gassy (ahem!) and well...no way to put this delicately so I'll pretend I'm talking to my 3-year-old...my poops are way smaller!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 17:10

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 130/125/125
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Zen Girl,

Good to know there are fellow IBS sufferers lurking about. I stumbled on this WOE because of IBS. I am not looking to loose weight just trying to feel better. Yes, my digestion has improved, however, I think the big difference for me has been laying off the sugar , i.e. a couple of slices of pizza don't upset my digestion but sugar cereals can bloat me like a house.

I still have some trouble with getting bloated. But that is mainly when I eat cauliflower and the like. But my constipation is much, much better.

My compulsive emotional eating hasn't gone yet but now if I am going to overeat, I try to make it healthy foods, not carbs. Plus my Metamucil contains nutrasweet which is bad for cravings. Anyone have any advice on soluble fiber that doesn't contain sugar or artificial sweetners?

Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 17:37

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

You can buy ground psyilium husks at a hf store and add to food. They are tasteless to me, of course everyone is different. I sprinkle about a tsp.+ on my morning cereal along with wheat germ and ground flaxseed. You want to be certain to drink the required amount of water throughout the day. Also do not use *huge* amounts of the psylium husks at once (spoonfuls not cupfuls). I believe it is one of the main ingredients is 'Metamucil' but without the as or sugar and chemicals.(don't quote me).

I am amazed with the control I have over my appetite and control of cravings since following "TSP"! Glad it is working for you also.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 07:38

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

Another reason to drink tons of water is to keep the solids moving through the plumbing.

I'm amazed at how much water I can drink now without running down the hall.......

Susan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 13:52

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking Yes, my bowel is not irritable anymore!

I totally agree that my bowels are much happier with fewer carbs!

I would always get the cramps and dumps (pardon me ) before being on SP, but now, I feel normal. Only whenI indulge in too many carbs am I back on the pot for an unpleasant visit.

Flamingo (Susan) I feel the same way about the water as you! I am amazed that I am not peeing every ten minutes, as it was before when I would drink this much water!

When I was eating high carb, low fat, I drank a lot of water (but less than now) and I was in the lav so much that I was sure the TP companies were cutting down entire forests just for me!

But now, on SP for 6 months on Sunday, I can say, after drinking FIVE 28 oz bottles of water a day (about 140 or more ounces), I am spending less time peeing than before when I drank 2 cups of caffeinated tea a day and a ton of water. I assume this is because my body is using the water more properly instead of just pushing right through me?

Would like to hear the "lite" science on why we Flamingo and I pee less, even while drinking more water, if anyone is up on that.

PS-- I'm not sure how much water I am supposed to drink, but I drink what my body wants, and it consistantly wants about 5 bottles of water, sometimes a little less. I have recently heard on the news that they have done a study that found drinking too much water is bad for you (I missed the part about WHY it was bad, and never heard how much is too much).

--Betty
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 14:09

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

Speaking of water...

This doesn't answer TheBetty's and my question about why we don't eliminate as much as we take in but this is a lite-science explanation of why it's so important to drink water.

Water and Diet
Importance of Water
The body is composed of mainly water. In many places of the country tap water is suitable for drinking however many people still find it suspect.

Drinking and making sure you have plenty of water is really a key ingredient in fat loss. There are actually a couple of factors with regards to water which contribute to fat loss.

The first part is that your liver is primarily responsible for metabolizing fat.

One of its functions is to convert stored fats to energy. It has other things that it does as well but this is one of its main functions. One of the liver's other functions though and this is where the water equation comes into play, is to help out the kidneys which need plenty of water to function properly. If the kidneys aren't getting the water they need, the liver has to help them out. Since it's now doing two things at once it won't be metabolizing that fat as efficiently as it could if the kidneys had enough water to do it on their own.

The second part is that your body has to burn calories to keep itself at its critical operating temperature of 98.5, just like your furnace at home has to burn natural gas, oil or electricity to heat your home when it's cold outside. The body, exposed to the outside air which is generally cooler, is always losing heat. This could explain why people who spend a great deal of their time in water are almost one for one never fat. To make up for this, the body has to burn calories to keep itself at a constant temperature. If you drink a half to a full gallon of ice cold water each day you'll get a bonus of 50 to a little over 100 calories burned per day, because it has to raise the temperature of the water you just took in from around 40 degrees up to 98.5. Just like your furnace at home, it has to burn some form of fuel to accomplish this. The calories required to do this can add up. Plus you'll be giving it plenty of water so it will start releasing all the extra it has stored up- as well as relieving the liver of having to help the kidneys do their job.

Your body can only survive about 3 days without water. If you continue to drink lots of it, your body will stop hanging onto all the excess it has accumulated in an effort to ensure it has enough. Sipping it all day long is actually the best way to do it. The first few days you'll notice yourself going to the bathroom a lot. If you continue to drink lots of it, which you should, this should taper off.

One of the easiest ways to get ice water is to take "sport bottles" of water and freeze them overnight. When you get up in the morning place them in a cooler that you can take with you. As the ice melts throughout the day you'll always have ice cold water to drink. Ice water tastes a lot better also.

Water makes you look good too!

Water does great things for your looks. It flushes out impurities and toxins from your skin leaving you with a great clear complexion. It also makes you look younger. Skin that's saggy from aging or weight loss will plump up when your cells are properly hydrated giving you a fresh clean look. It also improves muscle tone. Muscle requires more water than fat; if your muscles are in need of water you can pump weights like crazy, but until they get the water they need you probably aren't going to get the results you want. After all, muscle is 72% water.

Partial Dehydration

With the current array of soft drinks, coffee, tea, and other factors in the modern world, our sense of thirst is not dependable to tell us how much water to drink daily. In fact many of us go through our lives in a state of partial dehydration. Some of the symptoms of partial dehydration are:

dizziness
headache
fatigue
thirst
flushed skin
blurred vision
muscle weakness

Although there are of course other things that can create these symptoms, don't let something as easy to remedy as dehydration slow you down. Eight glasses a day should be your minimum. However one half to a gallon of ice water when losing weight is what you should drink daily. Ordinary tap water is quite satisfactory if you have no problems with your city's water supply. Otherwise, use bottled or filtered water to keep yourself hydrated. You should notice a difference in the way you feel too.

Drink up !!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 14:20

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Wow Susan! Thanks for posting that. I'm going to print that and share it with several people I know, as well. Very interesting, and it does address the tapering off of the peeing.