Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2386   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 16:42

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Just a quickie about the Eclipse - OMG is all I can muster. It was something to behold. We were 98%. Our entire office went outside- it was big here from Atlanta north! I'm telling you is was SOMETHING so special!

BLUE- Ok to fill your SHOW HOLE- I am looking at the 3 following-
House of cards, Person of Interest, Crown ( heard it was very good).
I am really torn between the first 2. Crown might have to wait. I am coming off of a "fluff" series.

How was your day? How the beginning of your work week? Anything you are thinking about you want to share. You might still be in the "now what stage and deciding". Nothing is easy sometimes.

Trig- I just love your complete give in and no stray. I have yet to ever see you write you went on a bender.
Well let me just say- Lesson learned. We carboholics we just flat can't. Less is best.
So if you ever think you might want to stray- take out my post of misery!
Did you get to see the eclipse? Did the kiddo stay home to watch?

KMOM- So glad your ticker is doing better- no missed beats or fast. I am so hopeful as you are doing SO well!
Water6/6 already- trying to cut the bloat- drinking like mad. Day is not yet even over.

Leeann- 1 buck says you have watched the Crown on Netflix!
Did you get any Eclipse?
Are you ready for your DS 18 to go? - Did you pick up DS 15- how was camp?????????

Lori- My work out hero! I t will not take you long to get back into the groove!
Hey how did your game go?
How is your WOE? Do you eat a lot of veggies?
-----------------------------------
All-
So I do some Googling and the Whole Foods next to my work - uses the same humane farm I was thinking about going to.

I really like their philosophy on meat. I will be going there. I actually went there and picked up some pulled pork/ and chicken marsala for dinner off their meat bar. I was amazing. Maybe I just needed a clean up. Yes I gained 6 pounds of bloat and some fat. But it spoke volumes to me- the need to no matter what- stay the course.

Not only that - I found today hard to deal with. Just really foggy thinking. It is going to take a few days to turn this back on course!

Ready!

Ok all have a beautiful evening- I am still in awe over the eclipse. So cool.

Ok - to hot here to walk for anything length of time- but will in a bit when it cools down. At least to walk my Bella Boo- OMG I love this pup. Everyday- I am so grateful for her little snoring and snuggling at night and keeping me safe. Sometimes I forget she is canine.

Ok all
Sponsored Links
  #2387   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 17:51

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi all-

I feel like I am in a perpetual state of trying to play catch up lately with you all. Every time I am a day or three behind!

Lori- Tried to get a feel for where you are on the map but yeah, I wasn't near to you.
Sounds like a fun job for your DH. I think my DH would like to teach, if he could pick something for post-lawyering. He'd be good at it, too.

Blue- LOL on the sofa grabbing you! You needed that down time and I'm glad you took it. No "show holes" allowed! lol

KMOM- I don't think I have had that jumping around and noise happen on the site for me, actually. I don't remember it happening, anyway. SO GLAD that your heart is still ticking regularly. That is super excellent news.

Jaz- I'm glad they gave Ava the boost she needed by putting her back on the vent. It is excellent that she has the capability to breathe on her own and she will be doing it soon enough but she needs all her strength and reserves for other things right now!
I don't see it as a bad thing that you tried something else. You needed to see what would happen and how your body would respond, and now you know. I don't know for certain that I will always do low carb and only low carb. I might/ might not. But I always know I can come back to it. KWIM?

Trig- That filet sounds amazing. YUM!! I need a good meat sale around here.
My DS15 is on a sleepover tonight and it will likely be his last also, except that they do a big high school retreat so there will be a three night sleepover anyway, closer to school. His retreat is on the 29th and then school starts the following week.

•••••••••

So today I felt like I spent all day coming and going. Had a CASA visit this morning at 12:30 but before that I got DS18's friend up and out from the sleepover, then got DS15 off the cross country practice, then took the dogs to their bath appointment- all those things about 30 minutes between them- just long enough that my whole morning was long interruption! After the CASA visit I went to Costco and got back about 20 minutes before the partial eclipse would be visible from our area. It was underwhelming- if you didn't know it was happening you would not have even noticed a difference outside. I did see cool video online though of the total eclipse in other areas.

DS15 LOVED his camp and had an excellent time. He came back pretty banged up from a mountain bike accident so he can't run XC this week but he is still going and helping out the coach and team, and will resume next week. He wrote an awesome song about the counselors on his ukulele and came home and recorded it. Now I just need to force his ass to read his last required book, which is apparently deathly boring.

Jaz- you asked if I am ready for DS18 to leave. I don't think I will ever be ready for him to leave. Love all my kids but he is the easiest to just be WITH, for sure. Just an easy personality. He offsets the other two well. But I know that he is ready and super excited, and that makes me very happy for him. Happens on Thursday!

We've had some great family time lately and I am really glad for that.

He's still working through this virus, and it is slowly moving its way through his body- started at the head, then the throat, then the chest and now his back end. Poor kid. He is ready for it to have its finale and be gone!

No Netflix recommendations from me. I haven't watched tv or anything for a couple of weeks, I don't think, except part of a football game.

Eating has pretty much sucked- few days on, a meal or a day off, sometimes more and on we go. I desperately need a schedule to resume.

Guess that is about it from here!
  #2388   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 20:07

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Trigger---Last sleep over of the summer! SIGH, I remember those days. Is the kiddo AT ALL, even slightly, interested in going back to school? I remember hating the end of summer, and doing my due diligence in complaining about going back to school, but secretly, I always looked forward to it about the end of August. I liked school. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

K-mom---Oh, say it WILL happen some day that I will meet up with not only you, but your very special daughter. I would SO ENJOY THAT.

Jaz---I agree w/Nic on this, you tried something else, it didn't work. No serious penalties for experimenting. Those "seven pounds" are at LEAST 4 pounds of water and bloat. Most of it will be gone soon. Glad to have you back on board, AND I hear you learned new things about how you want to do this. That's a very good thing.

On the series you asked about. I have not watched "Person of Interest." Have seen all of House of Cards and The Crown, both very interesting in their own different ways. The Crown will be easy, just one season so far, and as a former history teacher, I loved the history involved in this series. AND, it is done SO WELL.

House of Cards is several seasons in. If you want to watch it, you need to start with season 1 and see it all the way thru. That's the thing about these series that you want to catch up with later in the game. You STILL have to start on. page 1. You would never open a book midway thru and start reading.

Nic---Loved hearing how much your youngest enjoyed camp.

I only had one kid, but somehow know that if I'd had 3, I would like you, love them all equally and for different reasons. Still, there is bound to be one that is just easier for us, often because of who we are, more than who they are. I see this in my brother's family. Just want to say that I am standing by for when he leaves, ready to catch you in my arms, and listen to every tear. And maybe, all that won't happen, but just in case.

And girl, I hope this doesn't make you mad, but yeah, I'm supporting you in thinking you do need to get on some kind of plan. It may not be as LC as you were when you lost all that weight, heck it may not be particularly LC at all. Whatever. But I CAN tell you, you're on your way to gaining back more than you want to. Ask me. I know.

Yeah, I've kept off most of it, but put back on more than I'm happy with. Again, you get over 10 pounds from your low, and you're going to fight harder than you think to lose it again. You are still so much younger than me, and you DO have more time to screw around with this. But believe me, gaining half to all of it back happens faster than you think. Again, Ask me. I know. Did it at your age.

Feel free to tell me to go fly a kite, but I say what I do out of huge affection for you and considerable experience with losing the same 50 to 60 pounds over and over again. You don't think it can happen, but it can.

I wish you whatever works for you, EXCEPT gaining a lot of weight back. I don't wish that for you. No, I don't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 4 on my one day at a time program, which I needed to employ, because all of a sudden what was a lot more sure for me on LC, for a long time became VERY SLIPPERY.

No doubt for me that this is related to recent stressful turns in my life, which just turn up the heat on the "what the heck" button.

So now, I allow myself to be...kind of a newbie, even though my knowledge of this woe is deep. AND, my way is not to come at it like a bat out of hell, but rather, get back to MY basics, and what worked for me for so long. My basics were stick to 20 to 30 NCs a day, and treat with great discretion. That's exactly where I need to get back to.

My goal right now is not to gain one more pound. This is not my time to try to lose, but darn it, I sure can see to it that I don't gain any more.

Wheeeew. Needed to type that out to myself.

Last edited by Blue52 : Mon, Aug-21-17 at 20:14.
  #2389   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 03:32

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Count me in as one who has lost and gained over 40 lbs several times. Blue is right, it comes back in a flash. Losing weight using a low calorie plan has that boomerang effect. That's why I love low carb. You can eat a lot, and still maintain or even lose. I'm a volume eater, so low calorie starvation is torture for me and not sustainable.

I did not have eclipse glasses to wear, so I didn't see the eclipse. I watched it on TV & it was interesting. We only had 73% of the sun covered. I could tell it looked a little dark outside, but not extremely so. The places where it was a total eclipse looked awesome.

I'm off for the golf course this morning. The season is winding down. If you can believe it, I am sort of getting tired of it. I'll play today, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday and then I'll see what next week brings. I'll probably play a couple times next week as we have a big 3 day tournament on Labor Day weekend. After that, I won't be playing much at all. I'm going to visit my sister on 9/6 for a few days and then we leave on our 9 day cruise 9/14. 10/10 we're off to Key West for 5 days. Then I'll be stuck at home for the winter.

Jaz....great that you found a source for meat that you can feel ok about. We don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's around here. Small towns...sigh.

Ok..time for another cup of coffee. I was going to sleep in this morning, but DH was awake and rolling around. I can tell he's a bit nervous about his return to teaching today. Not nervous really, anxious maybe? He'll be fine. He loves teaching and being in front of a group. The opposite of me!

Have a great day!
  #2390   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 05:01

BF:

Good Morning!

Blue- I was thinking you might have already seen The Crown! I think you would like Person of Interest. Oh another one I have seen already was Prison Break. It kinda has a 24 feel to it. I like the 24 series. Partly because they always wrote what was happening real time into the story line. Second I could watch Keifer do just about anything.
I have a thing for the bad boy look! Yummy! HAHAHAH

It will be interesting to see what you choose. -
I think that sometimes to just not gain is a goal. I agree sometimes you just gotta take it day by day. Forever is a long time to say never!

Leeann- I am surely not going to give you advice right not regarding your WOE. That would be like the pot calling the kettle black. (where do we come up with these sayings)-
However I am the one trying to get back off that 50 pounds that had been already lost. It literally went back on in a month or two. Crap- I tossed on 7 in a week, before I had to say whooooooooo.

However I know you are a smart one and will learn from our mistakes. But ya gotta find SOMETHING that does work for you and stick to it. Whatever that might look like for you.

I too enjoyed listening to your DS15 camp story! And the launching of DS18. Yes it really does go fast- that the kids grow up.
Are you still using your back yard? I think the bugs right now are out in full force- rain and warm=too many bugs!

Lori- I just don't think I could do a city without a Trader Joe or Whole Foods. I'm serious. How do you do it?????? I am not being funny.
I did a 6 month stint in Savannah- they do not have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods. And the Piggly Wiggly didn't cut it!

I didn't know your hubby was a teacher. How cool. What does he teach? I have always thought it would be neat to teach. I love teaching actually. That is the part of nursing I like.

Golf today? So you have a golf course......... and no TJ????? I am still scratching my head over that. But with Amazon these days- one never has to leave their house for anything anymore.
You can even just buy Alexa if you want someone to talk to!!! HAHAHA

Trig- Love that you seem to be the rock of our group. Just sorta humming along and doing your own Warrior Strong thing!
I know your thoughts about that. I admire it actually- just look forward. Keep the blinders on and not be tempted by carbs. We can't. - see what happened- boom 7 up.

I know what works for carb sensitive people. Time for me to Warrior up.
When does the kiddo go back to school? Is your MIL- back home yet? So glad she is doing so much better.

KMOM- how are you doing? You have been sorta quite last couple days. Glad you had a great time with your SD!
Are you still doing IF/ Keto?
----------------------------------
I only have few minutes. Boy time just slips away in the morning.

On plan now reboot day 2. It was wonderful to "come home" to my WOE!
Went to Whole Foods and am accepting the fact I love a juicy steak, and or chicken.

Off- to work - more later.

Ava doing her thing- growing and growing!
  #2391   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 06:26

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori, you are getting golf'd out? oh my that means you must be playing so much now since being retired but you have fun and it gives you chat time with people and moves the body so you keep on golfing up a storm lol

What kind of prices are your golf? Hubby used to golf and I was shocked how high green fees went up etc. thru his golf time. haven't checked in a while, but ours are way up there now.

Nicco, so happy your DS had a blast at the camp and mt biking sounds so cool. I am thinking of doing just that, we got fab trails for mt bikes here but it means not taking the dog and he would be super disappointed since his life is ONLY getting the heck out of this yard and seeing the world HAHA
You guys are starting school in Sept?

Jaz, kiddo goes to school next monday.
She is all set except for clothes. hitting the mall tomorrow.

I must be 100% on my plan at all times. I am a carb addict point blank. I can not control a 'low carb' plan. I tried thru the years and could not do it, only way is to zero and hold. I feel wonderful, brain fog gone and think so clear, have tons of energy, most food obsession is controlled and more so if this is so great, then I gotta just stay here

KM, huh on the 'puter. I have no troubles so now thinking it might not be the site but internal software troubles?? not a clue now on this lol

Blue, so true that the 'what the heck' button can always be right there for all of us and if we hit that button we can be screwed, chewed and tattoo'd very fast! I know, been there

One thing is you must always put yourself first. First even when all the shit hits the fan around you and the crazy thing is first means eating health to survive thru all the BS and misery that can come to us very fast in life....but it is a hard thing to accept. Food is comfort, escape, easy to grab in a flash and more but if we truly put us first, then our healthy eating must come into play. That is a strategy I use alot...when I desire/want/crave and more I say to myself, I FEEL SO darn good, WHY give it up? and don't think I don't try to talk myself into giving it up LOL cause I do....but in the end I realize how far I have come and I will not backtrack come hell or highwater. I made my bed and my decisions and I am not letting go of them at any cost in my menu. sigh sigh, but yea, it can be so damn hard it is frightening and sad to extremes sometimes!

HI ALL
took kiddo for 'real makeup'
not wally world junk

ready for this....total price for 10 items of makeup--$500
BUT I opened a store credit card and got $100 off
and since we hit a high number we got ALOT of free trial sizes of the same stuff we bought so we got more of that which I liked. What thrilled her most, the damn nice tote bag we got with it all

I took her for a makeover at the counter...well for her, a learning experience on how to DO makeup right

AND she got into it! finally!

Thing was after I totalled it up in my head I was like, hey kiddo lets not get this 'cleansing system' today and just get the make up and come later for that stuff and she said....MOM YOU SAID I GET ALL I NEED and it is cool....had to say that 20 times to me before I slid the credit card HAHA YES DARN IT I said we would get it all to make it work well for her! Hubby almost passed out when I said the price Thing is good makeup is expensive. We all know that but I will go online to find her Lancome makeup cheaper and just ship it here probably now. Since we got her color as Warm etc. we know what works for her etc. so I am sure I can find this all cheaper boy do I hope so, can't afford 2 beauty queens in this house! HA

Sneakers were not bad. She got high tops she loves. Nike. $65 so not bad cause was thinking more like 90 on what she wanted so I got away better on that.

TODAY is swim and goof and chores.
Nice sun outside, so hot here, in heaven!

tomorrow is the mall for clothes....woof!

got another pack filet mignon I will be eating later
dinner is a mess of pork chops
great day all
  #2392   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 09:46

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

I did it! I figured out how to stop the bouncing and the irritating noise from two commercials going on at the same time. Well, first I tried everything I could think of. Tapping keys, highlighting the posts and pushing command C as if I was going to copy them. Tried holding my fingers on the mouse pad, and on and on. Would maybe work for 10 seconds...just long enough for me to get interested in a post!!! But then I figured out a way to stop it all! I clicked on advance post and that did it! So now I have to read the posts from underneath my typing. Does this all makes sense to you guys? Probably seems minor, but to me it means I can read everyone's posts again!!! So thankful for a still screen!

Blue: Started Ozark last night. Not sure if this is for me. The violence really got to me. Watched about half. Does the violence continue throughout? I know Breaking Bad had some violence also, but it seems like it only happened once in a while. I can take it if it is sporadic. Really got me hooked even only watching half of the first episode! I am thing of maybe switching to Crown. Will be interested to see what you choose for your next series.

I think your goal of not gaining one more pound it a good one. Life had taken you down a little lately, and eating is unfortunately a "go to" for many of us for so many reasons. But you have your head in the game and I have confidence in you! Say, do you want any tomatoes, green peppers, or zucchini? I was thinking next time SD is here, we could run some up to you and you could meet her.

Jaz: Glad baby Ava continues to get stronger. I continue to pray for her and for you.

I think experimenting with that other woe was actually not a bad thing as it pointed you back to what you know works for you. I have tried so many other woe's. LC is the total answer for me. Just gotta stick to it!

Trig: I love how well zero carbs works for you, but you know my reservations about this. But I admire your determination and passion and resiliency when faced with hunger and bad choices. Just wish you would throw some veggies and salads in there once in a while. Sorry to keep saying this, but I just feel I need to.

I am kind of torn right now regarding make-up. I hate paying the astronomical prices for the good stuff. My sister uses the cheap stuff and it looks great on her. I have always opted for the good stuff. I might try an experiment.

Lori: Well, golf is winding down. Sounds like in some ways you are ready for it to happen. But come spring, we will hear about your anticipation and excitement for it starting up again! Hope it goes well for your DH today. I think a little nervousness is good.

Nic: Lots happening in your life. I "get it" also about one kid being easier than the others. Mine would be the DD that lives across the street. SO gentle, So wise. So much like her dad.

I have heard many times just how much you love being with your older DS. Just being around him. And I know for certain that you love all your other kids equally!

Saw EP yesterday. I went with a plan. Today is Day 13 of normal sinus rhythm....but we both agreed that I could be back A-Fib today. The plan is strong and I am so happy with it. That being said, IF I go back into A-Fib today or soon, the plan will not work. He is concerned about the disappointment I will feel. He said to understand the disappointment, but to eventually that day pick myself up and know there is a Plan B. I don't like Plan B, but I also know that this is a lot less serious than what other people are facing. So I am trying to keep that all in perspective.

CapD is strong.

Blue/Jaz: I would like to start charting water starting today. I will assume you guys are in, unless you let me know.

K-Mom 10x3
  #2393   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 09:52

BF:
Progress:

Trig: I meant to say more about your daughter's make-up. I "get" the cost, especially it being the good stuff and her just starting out with it. Just wondering what brand she is getting. I always used to use Clinique, but have switched lately to whatever Sephora is recommending.

Also wondering about her cleansing routine. I have never had much of one, but thinking I might want to add that. I typically just take off my make-up and put on some moisturizer.
  #2394   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 10:30

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

I decided to edit this post cause I am just not in the mood to chat about it LOL
as much as I did it is easier to just let it go.....all good

Last edited by Whirrlly : Wed, Aug-23-17 at 04:36.
  #2395   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 16:22

BF:

I edited post- another time

Last edited by Jaz66 : Wed, Aug-23-17 at 03:37.
  #2396   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 17:20

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Blue- you are right on and I definitely won't be telling you to fly a kite. You are one hundred percent correct and you said it gently and well. I absolutely know I need to get myself back in order and fast. I feel it in my clothes for sure and also just in the way that I feel in general. So yup, heard and acknowledged!
Good for you on Day Four. Quite honestly, hitting Day Four or Five is an accomplishment so I hear you loud and clear. Well done, Girlfriend!

Lori- Not too surprised that you are tiring a bit of golf- you play it a LOT and it is one of those games that takes a long time to play. You have a lot of fun things to look forward to, especially some great travel!

Jaz- Well done on getting your reboot going. That was a good decision! And very glad Ava is growing well. So pleased about that! She is a little miracle baby. No complications as of yet? I hope not!

Trig- Holy Hat! I don't wear makeup except for very special occasions, so I have no idea what it usually costs but that is a chunk o' change right there! I bet she was appreciative. That is a really good price on shoes though. My boys' shoes usually run about 100$, whether for a pair of Sperrys or a pair of Sneakers.
BTW, totally appreciate your choice to go ZC and no doubt you have found both comfort and success there with it. That is all that matters. I'm glad you are content, strong, healthy, and happy.

KMom- I'm with you, girl, I can't bear violence either so that series would be out for me for certain.
Glad you figured out how to address the problems you were having with the site. Sounds like it was horribly annoying!
I'm really glad you have a plan for your sweet heart. Also very glad that you have had so many good days in a row though!

••••••••••

As you guys know, DS18 leaves on Thursday and it is almost here. I'm starting to get emotional over some of the little things- not knowing how much milk to buy, making him his favorite meals this week, realizing that the next time the "cleaning ladies" do his room it will stay that way for weeks on end. I've been caught out crying a couple of times this week already. But I know it will be okay- he is more than ready for sure, and excited, which makes me happy for him. And we will all adjust.

Our pastor just announced that he is leaving and relocating to Seattle. So much for doing DD22's wedding like he had said he would. lol And apparently no permanent pastor in place until Spring of 2018. Sigh. I know it will all work out just fine, even better than fine. DD is rolling with it pretty well.

On plan today and calling that a victory. I think the French Press is messing with my stomach so I'm gonna have to water it down a bit and see how things go. Too bad because I absolutely love it but dang I have major stomach acid going on.

Did MoW today and have a CASA visit at the day care tomorrow with another therapist. Then the final push to get DS18 ready and off we will go! In good news, the weather is breaking and temps will be going down. Low 80s tomorrow and then upper 70s- YAY!
  #2397   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 17:48

BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Trigger---When I read your post I realized I had never read much about ZC, so took some time and read four or five good resources on it, all of which backed up your points for the better part. It was very interesting. Have you ever heard of that guy called "The Bear" who was ZC for something like 50 years? I'll send you the link.

In any case, I know how much you struggled to find your sweet zone and I am thrilled to the gills for you that you have...and very proud of you for how strong and committed you've been to it. It works for you, you feel great, you're healthy, and you've kept the weight off. Win, win, win, win.

We are told forever we must eat our vegetables, so the idea one doesn't need to is shocking to most, so I get why K-mom worried a bit.

And hey, I just think it's incredibly cool that you treated your daughter to having her make up done. SO FUN for her, and you. I love that you don't fight her on growing up a bit in these ways. My mom was the same. In fact, she streaked my hair for me when I was the kiddo's age---she was a wizard in rubber gloves at that stuff, LOL. Everyone else's mom was saying no way you're bleaching your hair and my pals were all sneaking lemon juice in the sun. Not good for your hair, and doesn't really work. But my mom just rolled up her sleeves, grabbed the bleach and said lets get 'er done. I was way taller than anyone else, skinny as a rail, and not confident about how I looked. My mom got all that and stepped right in and showed me some tools. God love her.

K-mom---Having said all that about ZC, YES, I would LOVE some tomatoes! So admire Trig for making ZC work so well for her, but it's not for me. Not a huge veggie eater but love tomatoes, onions and lettuce. Oh, and now my cauli rice. I pay attention to carb counts on them, and they have to fit into my daily goal.

No thank you on the green peppers though, their flavor is too bossy for me. But let me know when you want to do this, would love to meet your daughter! We didn't plant any tomatoes this year as we've been having poor luck w/them in the last few years. NOTHING like a garden grown tomato for this gal. My mother and I used to walk right into her gardens with salt shakers, pluck one and go to town. Here's a poem I wrote about that a while back on another day I was really missing my mom. Something I wouldn't usually share, but I like to write poetry, and obviously, I'm really missing my mom today, so I'll share. Here's to ya mom!

Passion Fruit

Loamy and slick with rain, the
grass slides under my feet.
Salt shaker in hand, I make
my way to the garden.

When I get there the dirt has
been whipped into a pudding of mud
and to my delight, it squirts between
my toes like cool fingers.

I bend to the treasure. There amid a
cloud of leafy lace, lies the object of
my desire. It’s a small miracle you
can sow the seeds for.

Round and cardinal red, beads of
water embracing its satin skin,
It hangs heavy from its branch
just begging to be picked.

Snap. It’s mine. I cup it in
my hands for a moment,
as if it is a baby bird. Anticipation
is everything.

Then I attack. The salt shaker
shimmies out its crystals, my jaws
unhinge, and I bite in. Oh, the rapture
of its juice as it bites back.

The sun slices through the clouds
and in its sudden glare, I see for
a moment, the ghost of my mother,
younger, happier.

She is grinning at me, chin covered
with tomato seeds, her usually coifed
hair gone wild in the humidity,
her joy, equally untethered.

On Ozark, yes, I should have warned you. The first episode is really the most violent. After that it's here and there and quick. I was unsure at first because of that too, but pushed on to the second and third episode as hubby was enjoying it and by then I was REALLY hooked. The Crown is EXCELLENT. Did you ever watch Downton Abby? The Crown is of course different, but has the same excellent production values and the ability to be a "time machine" and take you back to be a bug on the wall.

Lori---How did hubby's gig go? Hard to believe you're getting tired of golf!

Jaz---Agree w/your post and feel the same way. Hey, one thing I thought I'd throw out there is in my ZC research today their was a lot of stress on eating enough fat. Something I think you and I both need a bit more of? I know I do.

You're more ZC than me and the beauty of it I think is it's SO simple. I think this appeals to Trig too, as she's our resident minimalist. One of the things that came up a lot in the articles on ZC and the people who love it is the ability to keep it simple and move away from food as entertainment, hence no need for variety.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, interesting day thanks to Trigger. While I'll never do ZC as a lifestyle, the reading I did encouraged me to eat more meat and more fat. For instance, at work lunches I usually order a salad. Now I'm going to order more Bun less cheese burgers, w/sour cream on top! The articles I read on folks on ZC---most included eggs and dairy in their woe---although don't think Trig does much of that.

Also, going to start making my Bullet proof coffee again. Have to pick up some coconut oil. Been off that for awhile, and w/fall coming, it seems a good time to rotate it back in.

Speaking of fall---we had an early fall day today! SO cool and crisp and sunny. YUMMERS. Can't wait. The more fall, the better for me.

So day 5 on plan. And oh boy, I'm going to press submit now and step out of the way so this gigantic post doesn't bonk me on the head.

Last edited by Blue52 : Tue, Aug-22-17 at 18:41.
  #2398   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 18:34

BF:
Progress:

Nic---We cross posted.

Wheeeew! Glad you won't be telling me to fly that kite, because like anything even vaguely athletic, I'd be bad at it.

I think some of us need a new season. (Not you Trig, LOL, you are our goddess of summer.) Summer for me, is the hardest of all times to stay on plan. Don't know why, maybe it's because we all are doing so much before the snow falls and the light changes. Up here we cram A LOT into summers!

Of course you're feeling the specter of change! Last dinners, last days of things as they were. And yeah---I too knew when my son left for SF, that it was the best thing for him. Heck, we thought we'd never get him out of here. There were times you could have told me I'd be jumping for joy the day he headed out of here, not out of lack of love, but because, hey, it's TIME.

But then that day came and it squeezed my heart so darn hard. But, you're right, we do adapt and adjust. Still, we're here for you this Thursday, or whatever day after that you're ready to be here and tell us how you feel. We've got open arms for you girl, and we ALL understand.

Trigger---Sorry you felt the need to edit your post, but too late, I think we all read it, and I'm not going to bother reading the edited version because I liked what you wrote to begin with!

You have an unusual woe, and people don't always understand it, as you know. Vegans go thru the same thing on the polar opposite side. But I read your original post as a blazing commitment to your success at what you're doing and why, and it was great to read. PLUS, you inspired me to learn more about zero carb. I had a very interesting hour reading all kinds of stuff on it.

And, some of it will help me, even if I'll never do ZC. AND, I love that I can support you with more knowledge.

Everyone of your pals here supports you and what you're doing. Every one of us. I think your un-edited post was great and helps us all to know your path better. And we love you, so we want to do that!
  #2399   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 19:32

BF:
Progress:

Hey, Trig!

Like Blue, I really liked your original post. Full of passion and knowledge. We have hung together too long to know it is sometimes needed to just let it all out. I think you did a good job of doing that and also extending grace to me. I appreciate that about you.

With that said, I want to apologize for saying what I did. It really does not matter if anyone thinks I don't need to, because if a person thinks they need to...that is all that matters. So I am sorry.

Will post more later about the make-up. I have some additional questions. I am sort of on a make-up journey, so maybe can learn something from the kiddo.

K-Mom 10x3
  #2400   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 20:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/237.7/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Lori
A fellow golfaholic!! You sound like me. I actually didn't golf at all this past weekend because I needed a single weekend to just do nothing! The golf season feels so short (I'm in CT), that you want to golf golf golf. Then you sit back and realize the summer is almost over and I didn't spend one day just relaxing out on my back porch enjoying the gardens, etc. It's either golf golf golf or laundry/mow lawns/grocery shop. LOL But unlike you, I love to golf in the fall too. Heck, I'll golf once on the weekends until November (well I draw the line at any time lower than 50 deg). We do a golf weekend in PA every May. Heading to Vermont next week overnight. You'd think with all the golf I'd be better...hahahahaha

Jazz
My granddaughter's name is Ava.

Last edited by Suemi : Tue, Aug-22-17 at 20:50.
Closed Thread