Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Red face OMG I am in heaven, I just discovered mock fried rice

I have been craving chinese food since I started this woe half a year ago. I love making stir frys on atkins, but it never felt right without something to "bulk" it up. I missed rice terribly .
Yesterday I discovered the mock fried rice recipe. I was sceptical at first, but knew I had to try it.

Oh. My. God. It tastes almost exactly like fried rice. The texture and appearance aren't quite right, but the taste! wowie. Rice was the only thing I really missed eating this way and I have it again. I can honestly say I do not feel deprived at all now. I have no desire to return to eating the things I did before, whereas just yesterday I was wondering how hard it's going to be to never eat rice often again .

This board is full of information and supportive people, and you all have made doing Low Carb so much more enjoyable for me. I can't thank you enough .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

Thank-you for the link, I am going to have to try this!

NoSunNoFun
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:55

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks!!
Heidi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:21
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

That actually sounds BETTER than rice. I stopped eating rice over a year ago, long before I was on Atkins. I just wish someone would come up with a lo-carb noodle :-(
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:23

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Well another thumbs up for the godly cauliflower?! heehee

I don't crave rice at all (though I did before Atkins), but I will have to try this out to see what it's like. God knows I need to keep my menu more varied.

Last edited by serrelind : Thu, Sep-18-03 at 16:28.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:39
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
God knows I need to keep my menu more varied.

Tell me about it, I've eaten so many freaken' hamburger patties with a side of spinach or broccolli that I'm ready to scream... If I had more time to prepare dinner, then life would be much nicer. Although, once I discovered the 3 net carb tortillas and bread, life got a little tastier. Nothing like frying up a fresh taco!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I was telling my wife last night I was going to chop up cauliflower ans par boil it real fast then use it as a rice substitute for sushi. Wont work for some things but in any roll formed sushi it my just be the trick.

Imagine a spicy tuna roll but with cauliflower rice instead of real rice. Guess it means a trip to the wholesaler to get some sushi grade fish!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:43

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Erick lol tell me about it. I'm ok with eating boring food cuz I'm always on the run, but my body must be like.. omg not TUNA SALAD AGAIN for the 2nd straight week!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:15

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

can I ask how fine you chop the cauliflower? with a knife or food processor? I'm afraid i'll turn it to mush if I get it too fine but then I don't want fried chopped cauliflower. Either way the recipe sounds good, I'm going to experiment with it this weekend
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:19
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

well i used a riveted knife and chopped it pretty fine, it took about 5 minutes to chop all of it.

i didn't get the texture like rice really, more like a crude grain, or cous cous. but the taste was very similar to fried rice. it was delicious, perfect for stir frys or a side dish.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:49
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
I just wish someone would come up with a lo-carb noodle

Erick, try to find shirataki noodles - maybe at an Asian market. I found some in my local LC store and had them for dinner with some marinara and parmesan. The noodles just absorb whatever flavor you cook them in, and the texture is just like pasta, or those ramen noodles. It was so good. Only 1 g carb per 2 oz serving. One packet typically has 8 oz total.
Some places they are called chinese yam noodles, but they are not made from what we know as yams.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use a food processor to grate the raw cauliflower. I have used this a ton of times. I normally make pork fried rice, using soy sauce and pork cubes. I have also used green onions, scrambled eggs, broccoli added at last minute, different peppers for a flare of color, and so on. I think I must of collected a dozen different recipes for fried rice

Another thing that can be done is add the fake rice to curry dishes. This stretches them out more. I made a great lamb curry with coconut milk and added the fake rice. My mother (who is definetly not LC, normally hates anything I cook, dislikes lamb and so on) ate 4 helpings of it and didn't leave me any left overs for next day :\

The only problem I have is it tends to suck up any oil and want to stick, so I have to add more oil. I sometimes add a tad much.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 21:50

Stats: 265/256/174 Female 67 in
BF:53%/51%/27%
Progress: 10%

I am so cooking this over the weekend
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 22:55

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

I had forgotten how much I use to love fried rice. It's off to the store for some cauliflower. Thanks for the recipe.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 23:37

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

So how come you guys don't read the kitchen forum on this site? This recipe and much more is all there...
I cook it all time...I use one of those old fashioned box graters and you can grate it to the perfect consistency using the largest holes (don't have a grater on my processor)

I don't think it would work well in sushi as is, because it doesn't stick together...sticky rice is an essential for sushi. I think the caul rice would just fall out...so one would need to experiment..
Val