Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 06:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have the occasional lowcarb brownie with erythritol. Make a batch to put in the freezer.

That's about it, lately. I get along with fruit, so I'm perfectly happy with Greek yogurt and berries, or using raspberries as the only sweetening in a low carb cheesecake.

By staying away from sugar, our tastebuds sharpen; I don't need much for me to detect "sweet."
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 06:37
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Glenda, I'm re-reading Amy Berger's book now, and there is a short chapter in it on the ApoE4 gene, which comes down to what you hear about most genes (at least in the LC world). The gene will load the gun, but diet and lifestyle pulls the trigger. Much of her book is about the diet needed so that trigger is never pulled ..the LC one you certainly are following.
Another book I need to read. Too bad there are no Cliffs Notes I have an ulterior motive for getting into a study, especially one considering diet and lifestyle in dealing with AD. Since nobody will do a study on how the LC life keeps people disease free, getting into such studies as this AD one will introduce LC as healing.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 08:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The more I progress through Amy's book, the more I like it. Certainly, much of this information is available through her blog and her e-Book, but having everything in one place and organized to build upon the information and new material is very effective. It's an interesting read for those of us who are nutrition geeks. Definitely worth acquiring.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 11:24

BF:

I love Amy's stuff. Her series on the Metabolic Theory of Cancer was the most I understand all this.

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, Apr-24-17 at 05:14.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-17, 11:50

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Full paper:
http://stroke.ahajournals.org/conte...EAHA.116.016027

(After a quick skim, I don't think they can say which AS causes the problem - just whichever ones are most prevalent in soda)
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 03:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Glenda,
Quote:
Another book I need to read. Too bad there are no Cliffs Notes

Amy Berger has a tab on her website for Alzheimer's, she promises an update this month (but then we have awaited more sections on the cancer series for years ). But you're in luck, there is already a version of the Cliffs Notes of the book in an article she wrote in 2014 for Wise Traditions magazine.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health...eimers-disease/

There are three other articles and podcasts on that page:
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/p/alzheimers_13.html
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 05:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
Full paper:

(After a quick skim, I don't think they can say which AS causes the problem - just whichever ones are most prevalent in soda)

Nutrasweet (aspartame) is the most prevalent sweetener in soda. And it is a known neurotoxin; people with PKU cannot break it down and must eat a special diet until they are mature; when the issues moderate, but do not go away. There's a PKU warning on sodas with aspartame.

In the large quantities used to sweeten soda, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that it could trigger similar symptoms in vulnerable people without PKU. For years, stories of severe headache and epilepsy triggering in people without known issues have been making the rounds and shouted down.

But there's a lot of money in aspartame. The person who worked for the company who makes it, G D Searle, guided it through the FDA and then rose high in government afterward: Donald Rumsfeld.

Would such an alliance suppress bad side effects of a highly lucrative chemical to make more money for themselves?

Such a question answers itself.

Last edited by WereBear : Mon, Apr-24-17 at 05:39.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 05:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This appears to be the trial Glenda referenced:

Novartis Tests New Alzheimer’s Drugs on People Who Don’t Have the Disease

Subjects at high risk of developing Alzheimer’s—but who don’t actually have the disease—are being recruited to help test two experimental treatments from Novartis AG, in a new focus on preventive treatment.

https://apple.news/Ab2fBJKiiTVGSLnwjgpITPQ

New article in The Wall Street Journal with some detail how the subjects will be selected.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-24-17 at 07:08.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 06:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
Full paper:

I'm skeptical that any of them are causing the problem--but they're looking at carbonated beverages, so this will mostly be acesulfame-k and aspartame under suspicion. If I choose to take this study seriously though, I might have to give up bacon, I'm not ready to do that.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 06:23
Doing My Best

Re aspartame: Pepsi now contains NO aspartame, while Coke still has it. In my mother aspartame triggered seizures.

Re the AD trials: The Alzheimer's Prevention Registry is gathering data, ramping up for multiple trials. This is what I signed up to join. If you're qualified and interested go to https://www.endalznow.org/join-us

Quote:
Connecting Scientists with People Like You The Alzheimer’s Prevention Registry, led by Banner Alzheimer’s Institute, unites leading researchers with people like you who are interested in taking part in Alzheimer’s studies. We focus our work on helping scientists advance our knowledge of Alzheimer’s and its prevention.

Unfortunately, 80 percent of studies are delayed because too few people sign up to participate. We aim to change this situation by identifying promising new studies that need help and connecting Registry members to them. Learn more about how the Registry works and why it’s so important for people to join.

267,472 people have signed up, and their goal is a pool of 500,000.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 06:44
Doing My Best

https://www.westonaprice.org/health...eimers-disease/

Janet, if every obese person could read and understand this article, they would immediately switch to LC.
Quote:
Possession of an E4 allele is so strongly correlated with AD that one study author calls it the “susceptibility gene.” ApoE4 heterozygotes (people with one allele) have a five-fold increased risk of developing AD, and homozygotes (two alleles) are estimated to have a staggering lifetime risk between 50-90 percent. Despite this seemingly damning genetic heritage, the ApoE4 allele is neither required nor sufficient for development of AD, as 50 percent of people with AD are not carriers, and some E4 homozygotes never develop the disease. On the other hand, the other known risk factor—hyperinsulinism—elevates risk by 43 percent independently of ApoE status. As hyperinsulinemia occurs in approximately 40 percent of people over age sixty, it’s not surprising that it correlates with a condition that preferentially strikes the aging.

Bold added by me.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 06:54

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Another medical myth that we've been sold over the years, along with the low fat myth, is that genes are destiny. There is so much we can do to prevent many of the so called "diseases of civilization". For starters we can eat a low carb diet, everyone, fat and thin. Makes sense to me.

Jean
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 07:14
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I saw the results of this study reported on our local news channel last Friday and again over the weekend. I guess they considered it big health news. So I wonder how many people went to the grocery store after hearing this news and opted to buy regular soda instead of diet for fear of getting AD from their diet soda habit? I swear, there is so much nonsense in nutrition science. Much of it does more harm than good.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-17, 14:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Another medical myth that we've been sold over the years, along with the low fat myth, is that genes are destiny. There is so much we can do to prevent many of the so called "diseases of civilization". For starters we can eat a low carb diet, everyone, fat and thin. Makes sense to me.

Jean

Jean - Excellent point, and this is something that everyone needs to understand. We are not sentenced to how our genes are constructed. In fact, recent research in Epigenetics demonstrates that the environment (nurture) has more to do with how people manifest or suppress certain characteristics that are part of their genotype (nature). The most clear description of this is a book by Bruce Lipton called Biology of Belief, 10th Anniversary Edition. It is discusses exactly what you've stated, that at a cellular level, we are able to control and enhance (or harm) our health by how we live, and this includes nutrition, environment, and mental approach. I highly recommend it, and it may be time for me to do a book review, as it has a lot of relevance to the topics on this forum. If we were truly governed by our genetic makeup, then changes in diet would not manifest themselves for thousands of years. However, because we can turn on or off genetic markers at the cellular level, developing a diabetes, obesity, heart disease, take your choice epidemic within 30 plus years is not hard to fathom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Nutrasweet (aspartame) is the most prevalent sweetener in soda. And it is a known neurotoxin; people with PKU cannot break it down and must eat a special diet until they are mature; when the issues moderate, but do not go away. There's a PKU warning on sodas with aspartame.

In the large quantities used to sweeten soda, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that it could trigger similar symptoms in vulnerable people without PKU. For years, stories of severe headache and epilepsy triggering in people without known issues have been making the rounds and shouted down.

Not sure about PKU, but I get ocular migraines any time I consume aspartame. I stay away for good reason. Diet pepsi is the only diet soda I can consume without having issues, as it's sweetened with sucralose. Most every other diet soda contains aspartame, so I have to choose Pepsi if I'm so inclined . . . for those who think young . . . . (couldn't resist )