Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%
Smile Skin tag remedy,& I am new pcos/lowcarb

Hello All,

This is my first time posting to the board. I was diagnosed with pcos 6yrs ago, but I have probably had it since my late teens. I have the classic symptoms, mild hair growth on chin, no periods, dont ovulate, moody, and overweight. I have also these markings on my neck, it seems as though in this forum they are being called skin tags, I have never heard this term.
I have them around my neck, they get darker in the summer months, I figured from sweating more and my long hair. I have a few on my bikini line as well.
I went to the dr. about 2 years ago, it was dianosed as tinea versicolor, he prescribed selenium sulfide, works like a charm if you put it on 10 minutes every day before a shower, for 2 - 3 weeks. It seems what everyone is calling skin tags could be tinea versicolor, if so get the medicine from a doctor, it makes it go away so you dont have to feel self concious about wearing your hair up on hot days.

On another note, I went to the ob last week, she gave me provera to enduce period. I heard there may be a risk to breast cancer if I take it, but if i dont take it, then I increase my risk to endo cancer because I need to shed the lining. So that night I went online and read research, and I found that low carbs may help with my pcos. So I figured I would give it a shot, anything better than taking meds.
So here is the latest, started atkins 5/20/04, I am in ketosis, 20grams or less of carbs per day, and here it is 5 days later and I am spotting. So I will continue on my low carb journey and hope the low carbs and the weight loss will help with my symptoms, and give me a regular period, I dont want to have to take provera. So wish me luck!
And so far I am loving this board!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 17:16

Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi,

I have a pcos and a lot of the symptoms you've described (particularly skin tags, menstrual abnormalties and hair on my chin). I also have male pattern hair loss at the front of my hairline and weight that is concentrated on my stomach (which are also classic signs of pcos). I am excited that you mentioned there is medication for skin tags because that will take care of one of my unpleasant symptoms....

I also have the absence of periods like you, but i found when i lc's in the past they came back and eventually fell into a normal pattern of 28 days as I approached my goal weight. I dont' know why i stopped lc'ing, probably i thought I was cured, or something. But with pcos, there is no real cure, other than maintenance of one's weight and blood sugar levels.

good luck to you! It looks like you're hormone levels are loving LC'ing if you are starting to spot. Before you know it, everything should be back and running smoothly again and pcos will be nothing more than a distant memory

Kirsten
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 13:08

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
markings on my neck
are these just patches of colour or are they actually little round balls of extra skin that grow on a tiny stalk? Skin tags are exactly that, tags of skin that can grow anywhere, though they seem to grow in areas of skin friction, around neckline, underarms, under bra bands,straps etc. Having them frozen or burned off by your doctor is a good way to get rid of them. They don't come back in the same spots.

Tinea versicolor is a common skin condition due to overgrowth of a skin surface yeast. This overgrowth results in uneven skin color and scaling that can be unsightly and sometimes itch. The yeast normally lives in the pores of the skin and thrives in oily areas such as the neck, upper chest, and back.

What does tinea versicolor look like and how do you recognize it?

Tinea versicolor has small, scaly white-to-pink or tan-to-dark spots which can be scattered over the upper arms, chest and back. They may sometimes appear on the neck and the face. On light skin, tinea versicolor may be faint or can appear as tan-to-pink spots, while on dark skin tinea versicolor may be light or dark. The fungus grows slowly and prevents the skin from tanning normally. As the rest of the skin tans in the sun, the pale spots, which are affected by the yeast, become more noticeable, especially on dark skin.

Last edited by deb34 : Thu, Jun-17-04 at 13:09. Reason: more information
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 06:59

Plan: Low Carb for PCOS
Stats: 169/150/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I actually had Tinea Versicolor as well. I think this is a pretty common skin affliction, so it may just be coincidence that you had Tinea Versicolor AND PCOS. I used that shampoo as well and it worked like a charm! I still get spots everyonce in a while, but I just use the shampoo and they go away pretty quick. If you have no insurance you can also use Selsun Blue.

My mother has those skin tags, plus hair on her face but her period was always regular (until menopause). I wonder if she has/had PCOS...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 10:33

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

i've had these skin tags too. mostly around my neck. i've read that they are related to having insulin resistence/syndrome x. it seems like the more low carb i'm eating the less i have of these now? has anyone else seen them disappear for the most part, since they've been doing lc?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 10:52

Stats: 188/181/145 Female 5' 5
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 16%

Well I'm no doctor by any means and this isn't medical advice.....but I had several small "skin tags' on my neck which really bothered me cause my shirt neckline would rub them and they would kinda hurt.......so I took a piece of sewing thread and tied it at the base of the tag...and within a few days it fell off. Since I only had a few (and they were small) I did them one at a time.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 17:53

Plan: Atkins, then South Beach
Stats: 236/214.5/150 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

hobiecat,
I was diagnosed very early on with PCOS but I thought my periods were normal too. What I found out was that even though I was having my period on a regular basis, I would stop for a day or two in the middle of it. My dr. said she considered that an abnormal period. Your mom could very well have it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 21:52
Beautifully Chaotic

Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi, if you catch a skin tag (acrochordon) while it is in the beginning stages of growth, you can nip it off with a pair of iris scissors (like the kind used in needlepoint), that is what dermatologists do all the time, but if they get big, using string is a great way to get rid of them.

Another possibility of the brown, velvety patches of skin on your neck is called acanthosis nigricans. It is seen in people with insulin resistance and since I have been LC, my neck is almost completely back to normal, as well as my elbows, knees, and armpits. To me it always looked like a dirty neck. I tried scrubbing, lemon juice, alcohol, lotion... but the only thing that has made it go away is no sugars!... I am hoping that in a few more months it will be totally gone and I can pull my hair up and not be self-conscious.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 13:29

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%
Default I could just cry!!!

Since I was a teenager my neck and armpits were dark and "dirty" looking. My mom would fuss that I didn't wash well enough. I tried everything to lighten the skin but nothing worked. I would never wear anything sleevless. I now know this is a symptom of pcos which i was diagnosed with in my 20's and also IR which I was diagnosed a year or two ago. Had I only known then there was a cause and treatment...... I also have the skin tags, irregular periods, the whole list. It is a shame I have been suffering from an illness for 20+ years and am just now learning about it!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 14:40

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I've had skin tags for years now (ever since I first started having children 18 years ago) but I never knew they could be a symptom of PCOS. My doctor whacked a couple off a few years ago; they are back just as large as ever today. Been thinking about having my husband snip these off for me, but they bled so much the last time...

I hate when my necklace gets caught on them!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 278.4/241.6/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Okay, so I can use the sensun blue shampoo for the dark patches? How exactly? Do I just apply and let it sit? I really hate to trudge in to the doctor again for some more meds if I don't need to.

Thanks!
Jamie