Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 20:21

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%
Default Advice, please

Hello...

I have been contemplating whether or not I should be tested for hypothyroidism. It's mostly just been in the back of my mind, but I just scheduled a dr appt for next week (regular checkup), so I need advice asap!

I've noticed over the past few months that I've get "brain fog" from time to time, which I've NEVER had before. I started Atkins in late June, 2008. I thought low-carb was supposed to PREVENT these feelings! I never felt like this before starting LC. I just mean general feelings of forgetfulness and difficulty concentrating, but it's really noticeable to me.

Some other symptoms:
depression (but I've dealt with this on and off for years);
dry skin (again, always had it, but it's EXTREMELY bad since I started increasing fat content of my diet);
I'm constantly freezing even when everyone else is comfortable;
my sex hormones are a mess: I basically just never get periods and have a frustratingly low sex drive;
and I may be experiencing abnormal hair loss: I hadn't noticed it, but at my haircut last week the stylist asked if I've been losing lots of hair, because I had such an insane amount of new hair growth.
Also, I have had waaay too much trouble losing weight on Atkins, considering I'm young, I exercise, and I really do eat right almost all the time. I basically had two big spurts of weight loss (the first week of induction last June, and then the week I went off of birth control pills in December) and otherwise, can't seem to lose any significant weight. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough, though.

I plan on taking my temperature at various points throughout the day tomorrow to see if it's low.

And this may be relevant: my mom is pretty sure she has hyperthyroidism, but she doesn't like doctors so she hasn't actually been diagnosed.

Sorry, this is super long, but the point is... should I ask for a blood test? I'm afraid I'm being a hypochondriac. I'm young, and hypothyroidism usually affects women much older than me. Am I overreacting?

Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 20:30

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I wouldn't worry about looking like a hypochondriac at all. Just say you have a family history of autoimmune diseases and would like a thyroid exam. Make sure to ask for a thyroid antibody test. If I hadn't read here and knew which tests to ask for, I wouldn't be getting the help I need.

I think you do sound hypothyroid. Do you have any swelling in your neck, like low down towards your collar bone? You are young but I think it does happen and it's YOUR health - so don't be afraid to advocate for yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 20:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, discuss your symptoms with your doctor. You need to be unafraid to raise issues... it is your health after all.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 15:41

Plan: Atkins/Hhcg
Stats: 155/115/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 133%

From what you are describing I would say a big YES to hypothyroidism. The key is to get a good doctor who will do the correct tests AND know how to interpret them. I wish you luck in that one!! I have found a DO (who also happens to be a board certified MD!!) who is a gem. She not only does the correct tests but she knows how to interpret them. She goes by symptoms as well as the numbers. She is so great that I travel 2 hours one way just to see her!! I just watched Dr. Phil today and Robin was on talking about hormones and she got the help she needed. There was a 32 year old on the show who had been told for 5 years that what she was experiencing was not her hormones. It was all in her head. Robin got her the help she needed and yes, it was bio-identicle hormones. Within a short period of time (I am talking days, not weeks!) she was feeling like her old self. You deserve better. Just make sure you are your own advocate and let the doctor know that you have done your research. I suggest looking on Dr. Phil's website as they have a ton of info. Also, Nancy's sticky at the top of this forum is a good start!! I wish you well.