Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Question Doctor's Scale vs Home Scale

Hi,

I went to see my cardiologist today (i have Mitral Valve Prolapse-valves in my heart doesn't close correctly and lets blood flow backward into the main heart chamber) and she was thrilled with the weight I've lost so far. My question is, which scales do I trust? On her scale, I weighed 2 pounds less than on my new digital scale at home. So it's 186 vs 184....It doesn't really make a huge difference, I was just curious....lol

Happy Lc'ing...
DD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

I read somewhere (sorry can't remember) that doctor's office scales and gym scales are often wrong because after a lot of use they start to become less and less accurate. Imagine how many people have been on those scales.
sorry about that and congrats on the weight loss!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 15:29

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

I Always Say Go With The Lower One! Just Kidding. I Always Go By My Home Scale Because Every Scale Is A Little Different.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 15:46
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

I used to certify medical scales. Except for getting a little dusty, they generally remain extremely accurate. Most calibrations allow 3% TOTAL from 0 to 300 lbs. However, only once in 20 years did I actually find a scale that was off by 1/4 lb. Most were off by 1/8 lb max!

Trust the Dr's scales.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 04:29
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default uh, scales................don't know about

you and how you do it but when I weigh at a doctor's office I normally have some sort of clothing, and usually my sneakers, on as well.
When I'm home, it's au natural..........so, guess where I weigh the least? LOL
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 04:32

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Also your weight can fluctuate over the course of a day by several pounds, so a couple of pounds difference between doctor's and home should be fine... if it was a couple of stone, well then I'd be worried!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 06:21

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

It was good to read that there was only 2 pounds difference between the 2 scales. Most scales are not calibrated and therefore will weigh you differently. Always keep to the same scales for your weight measurement and weigh at the same time of the day with the same clothes (if necessary) on. Your weight can fluctuate by 4 or 5 pounds during the day even without taking the weight of your clothes into account.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 210/210/130 Female 5'5
BF:n/a
Progress: 0%

I have a question about the weight scale thing on 9/4/03 at the doctors office at about 11am, I weighted 210. 5 minutes ago on a brand new digital scale I weighted 202. How is it possible I could lose so much weight? I don't see it being water though because I drink at the very least 5 (20oz) water bottles a day. I say at the least because I do pilates, spot exercise for areas I find hideous for me to look at. And by the way the Atkins diet is right for me anyway, I never have a appitite (I'm a bad speller) anymore I have to make myself eat. Anyway if anyone has any ideas let me know, thanks