Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#841   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 09:41

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Leeann- we cross posted again!
HAHAHAHAHAH

Love your post- But to clarify what I said, since you ask.
I should edit-
So when my mom disappeared when I was young, she took my brother and they left in the middle of the night. I was around 9-10. It was sorta a blur. I woke up and she was just gone, with my brother.

The irony I met to say was- my brother doesn't speak to her or me for that matter. He joined the military when he turned 17- and has chosen to cut ties. Yet he was the one my mom chose to take with her. So I didn't grow up with her in my picture, or my brother.

Which is why I think it so cool that you all have siblings you connect with.
Yes I have CHOSEN to forgive her. But I don't sweep it forgotten under a rug either. I am who I am because I have had to be older and depend on myself at a early age.
Believe it or not my sperm donor (dad) - didn't want a kid either. So I raised myself. My grandparents were a huge influence on me.

I do not feel sorry for myself. I write this not for sympathy. But to say that I understand your complicated relationship with your parents.

I also feel I am the strong person I am BECAUSE of my past. I really don't have many fears, or angst. I have alot of inner strength and feel I try to empower others to stand up for themselves as well.
I do this as a nurse- I love to teach, and help people make better choices. We matter- each of us has something to contribute to the world. Or at least to those around us.

So that is a nut shell- is to clarify. I don't hold regrets, or grudges.

Remember: The very best advice I have ever gotten is to live a full and rich life, with joy. It's a choice. It can be done. We have choices everyday. I say that all the time.
But it is true. We have more power than we know. Even in the small things. We choose what we eat, spend time in, and how we care for ourself and others around us.

I tend to look for the good in others first. I have struggled in some area- IE my WOE/ weight in the last year. But I am choosing to move forward and learn from what didn't work and find something that will work for me.

That is more than you wanted to know I am sure!
I am blessed to have stumbled onto this thread!
I find writing so therapeutic- and so happy you all read my ramblings.

Ok- I am off to meet a realtor!
Sponsored Links
  #842   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 10:32

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Jaz, we cross posted again!

I didn't look at any of the properties except the two that are available but I liked the Knotsberry one a lot. Curious to how it appears in person.

I like your word- Purposeful- and I agree that it is similar to mine. This is good because we can encourage each other!

2017 was a rocky year for you but you have your little AVA and she is a miracle of epic proportions! Magnificent Noah (who loves you to bits!), your daughter and her DH, your son who clearly adores you. You have a good handle on your Mom and her husband and don't get things get to you much, which is great. You are kicking ass in your job, even if your boss is a piece of work. You yourself are doing fabulously well there. You keep to your plan almost all of the time and your health markers are good. You are settled in a place near to your kids, you've killed debt and you are looking for a new home. Life is good for you, dear Jaz!

On my end, all the dishes are cleaned up and I've started moving the Xmas decor out. The trees and lights will stay though. I've run all the comforters and heavy blankets through the heat from my Mom's stay, washed the sheets etc and I'm using Oxyclean on the white lace napkins etc from Xmas and then I'll run them through. All the other laundry is done. I feel like I'm getting my life back and reorganized and I love that feeling!

DS19's GF just wandered up from the basement and headed out the door. The boys are still asleep! It's 11:30 AM. Gotta love teenagers!

I've had coffee so far this morning, and now bone broth with pink salt with a splash of half and half.
  #843   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 10:36

BF:

Aaaannnnddd now I see that we cross posted yet again! This is ridiculous!

Thanks for sharing and clarifying your story. I wonder if your brother is more messed up in part because he spent more time WITH your mother. Who knows?

I am in full on agreement with you- past is past and adult life is what we make of it. The thing that makes me most irritated is victimhood or blaming. Don't like something that happened? Do it differently. Change your future story.

You are very good at that!
  #844   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 10:43

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

My word for 2018:

Chugging

To move steadily like a little train. To make slow, but steady progress.

I also have a book...The Little Engine that Could

I think I can...
I think I can...
I think I can...
I know I can.

You will never be like the 'The Little Engine That Could' if you sit around on your caboose.

I am looking forward to a message from all of you on January 1, 2019 that will say...We knew she could!
  #845   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 11:37

BF:

Love Love Love it, KMom.

We will be saying that indeed!
  #846   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 15:19

BF:
Progress:

Trig and Blue:
We'll leave the light on for you and will anxiously await your return.

Jaz:
I also wondered about that sentence, so I am glad Nic asked. I felt sad reading your journey through life as a child, but I am so happy you are moving forward, forgiving your mom, and choosing to love life (and people). Are you hopeful you will rekindle a relationship with your brother? Do you see that happening?

I will email you in six months if you are whinning! I think this will be your year. I have confidence in you! Goal....here she comes!

Anxious to hear about the five properties. If nothing else, it will show you what you DON'T want.

Lori:
I had to keep reading the part about your weight loss/gain for 2017. I first read where you were up seven pounds from your low in September (cracked up at your 20 min. comment)...but then I read you were 15 lbs. down from Jan. 1, 2017. Hooray! That is great.

I rarely make pork, but I want to jot down the kind that was recommended to you. I have made your pork chops a couple of times and loved them!

I saw this and thought of you..."Work hard so you can shop harder!"

Actually, I know you are fine with your hours being cut. I think that will make for a more relaxed retirement!

Nic:
I am glad you like my word. I could not think of one for the longest time. Every one I thought of was forced and did not represent what I wanted. Then I found this one and it was just right. (sounds like the three bears story.

Love your goals. I am going to join the Y also. I get a free membership with my insurance. I think Blue mentioned she got one also. What will you do at the Y? I will swim for sure and maybe walk. Don't think I will do the machines. Maybe. Not sure.

September is a reasonable time to have a goal to be down 20 pounds. Can't wait for that second number to be a four again!

I like the idea of a two-week clean induction period. I am doing something similar with the soup.

Me:
Staying warm and content. I think I am a pretty content person. Thankful, like others have said, for my friends here.

K-Mom 10x4 (That math will change for the better in 2018. Guaranteed!)
  #847   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 16:25

BF:

LOLOLOL- Leeann and cross posting!

So agreed Leeann about playing the victim. I just cringe when people do that! That is not the way I roll. I certainly am always looking forward. As adults we DO have choices!

I love the fact everyone seems on bored with doing some more excersize. Except Trig- but she is on a farm and gets work in that way. I too am thinking about where I can work out.

KMOM- Love your word. BTW- I KNOW YOU CAN AND WILL!!!!!!!
You and I are the closest I think in weight. I would love for us to cross that goal line together! YES WE CAN!!!!

UPDATE:- the condo were a no go. Both had foundational issues, rotting wood, and horrible views. The neighborhood was trashy. I know trashy is relative too. But it seems sorta getto not for me. I am a single gal after all.

OK- day 1- hamburger grilled here, steamed broccoli. Not much veggie. Just a little. toped with a table spoon of salsa. Only meal of the day! Feel good about it. Actually had 1.5 hamburgers. It's ok. But will need to cut down a bit.

We are in it now! 2018! -
Bought some packing boxes! Here we go!

AGREE- BLUE/ TRIG- enough is enough- you are MISSED- read up and get back here.
  #848   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 17:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Happy New year Gals and pals!!!!!

Having an absolute blast in SF. So much to tell, but I'll just make a top 10 list.

1. I sometimes forget, with him so far away, that my son is one of the funniest people I know. We have been LMAO all over the place.

2. Sorry gotta say it---the FOOD. Son is in the business and a big foodie. Knows places you'd never find as a tourist. We have not had one meal here that was short of amazing.

3. The three of us getting cozy on his sectional and binge watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Amazon. 5 stars, highly recommend. (Jaz, you'd love the outfits and New York apartment interiors alone, set in 50s.) Can't think of anyone who wouldn't find the story delightful.

4. One of the few things I've never seen in SF---The Palace of Fine Arts. Looks like a Moroccan oasis with ponds and swans and spectacular gardens. Stunning.

5. Lovely day w/hubby while son worked. Strolling down adorable street of shops. I go in them, hubby stays outside and shoots pictures,happy as a clam---so much to aim a camera at here.

6. Front and back deck of where my son is living, each with a different and stunning view of the city. Morning coffee on either has been a joy.

7. My Xmas gift from my son. Took me to a salon and bought me a beautiful deluxe manicure. Stayed and chatted and laughed with me through the whole thing, had the manicurist in stitches.

8. As always, the sheer diverseness and beauty of the city, the hundreds of funky little neighborhoods, incredible views, stunning homes, big and cozy small. Just one Pro tip on SF. "Walk down, Uber up!" OMG, the hills!!!! Makes any stair stepper look like baby games.

9. Meeting some of my son's friends and eating at the incredible little restaurant he works at, and getting to watch him work. What a charmer, hello great tips! AND best pizza I have ever had in my life.

10. Not thinking about any of my worries or my woes for longer than 5 seconds before all the fun pushed any bad thoughts right out of my head. What a blast!

Home again, home again tomorrow, when my carriage will promptly turn into a pumpkin.

No time to read back now, but will get caught up on the plane or when I get home. Hope you are all well and happy on this New Year's Day. Miss you all.

XOBlue
  #849   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 18:20

BF:

Blue- So happy you are having a wonderful time!!!!! so happy you were able to live in a whirlwind cinderella moment- no worries.

So happy more memories made with your dear son! I am smiling for you.

I am also happy you are coming home to us! You are missed!

TRIG- GET BACK SOON TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to binge- I am in season 3 episode 11 of Person of Interest . $ seasons to go!
  #850   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 05:10

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

I'm going to need a nap today. I didn't sleep very well, probably because when I got home from work last night at 7:45, I finished the coffee I had taken along to work. I knew as I was drinking it that it probably wasn't the smartest thing I'd ever done. I slept ok for a couple hours, but then was awake and restless. Have to work 4-9 today, so I have time to catch a few winks this afternoon.

Blue!! What an awesome trip you had! It sounds like everything was just perfect and that your son was an awesome host. Coming back to reality will be rough, but what great memories you have to keep you warm thru the rest of the winter.

Jaz...sorry the condos you looked at were not so great. I look forward to the post I see from you that says "I have found it!!" It will happen, but the process can be tough. Hope work goes well for you this week.

Trig.....hope you're soon home and back among us. We miss you!

KMom & Nic......anything special happening for you this week?

I'm not doing much today. I'll work tonight and then tomorrow I'll get ready to head back to my sister's for a few days. I'll catch up on laundry and make sure DH has what he will need while I'm away.

Ta ta for now!
  #851   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 05:15

BF:

Good Morning Ladies!

Lori- WHERE ARE YOU??????? HAHAHAHAHAHA. We are back to normal routine here!!!!! LOLOLOL
I guess you are tucked under some warm covers. Exactly where I would be, if it weren't for this thing called WORK!
Did you pick a word?

Leeann- do you have your house to yourself yet? What does your week look like? Is your hubby back to regular routine? There is something comforting about routine!
I am interested in what your WOE will look like this new year. Care to share? I know you have been giving it a lot of thought.

Blue- You know what we want- DETAILS! Loved your top ten! funny food came in 2nd! It will take you a minute to adjust to regular life again I am sure! It's cold where you live too! I'm sure it was nice in SF!!!!
Do you have a word picked out?

Kmom- Have you decided to do a soup "fast" for the week? I love your word! What does your week look like? You are also in the cold zone! When the temps get that cold I don't like to get out. I don't have a garage at the moment- so I have to warm up the car first! I don't do cold well.

TRIG- Ok, time for you to come home now!!!!!!! We want to here about your trip too! Were you cold? You should back read our pots. We sure chatted it up!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------
I have decided to do 1 shake and one meal a day to jump start and flush this week. I will replace lunch with a shake and eat a normal dinner. I will do this only for a week and re-evaul.

I don't mind the shakes. It's been awhile since I have done them. They are only 2 carbs per serving. 1 carb for the protein powder, 1 carb in the almond milk. I don't add stuff.

I am starting my water today. I am ALSO going to do 20 minutes a day of some intentional moving. I know 20 minutes doesn't seem like a lot- but from nothing, it's a starting place.
I will take the steps at work 3 times. I work on the 4th floor.

I am also doing my IF- I do 20:4. this however is not new to me. I have been doing this long before I knew it had a name. Thankfully I am not a grazer/ snacker. Just not.

Back to the grind today- jumping in at full throttle today! We have interviews lined up all week for a few positions we have open. It seems just when we get fully staffed we lose someone. So we are constantly short. It takes FOREVER to train people too!
The issue is getting the right people in place. The boss and I have differing ideas on that. No surprise there. It should be interesting.

Ok Ladies- here we are. WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT- lets DO THIS!!!
  #852   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 05:15

BF:

Lori- LOLOLOL- You beat me. You weren't "here" when I started!!! HAHAHAHA

I just noticed - I'm a lobster!!!!!! I find it funny they use FOOD pictures for us!
  #853   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 07:15

BF:

Jaz- Bummer on the condo/townhouses. I thought the one looked like it would be nice but they must have just prettied it up and ignored the larger issues. The asking prices seem way low but I also don't know about home prices outside of metro Atlanta. Here, to get a townhouse you would need to shell out 300k and up.

Great idea to start packing now. A little at a time will help to make it far less overwhelming.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place for the start to your New Year. Baby step your way in so it will be sustainable-- saying that just as much to myself as to you!

BLUE!! So great to hear from you. You have been sorely missed, my friend!
Love love love reading about your full and genuine enjoyment of your son. Made me so happy! What is his position at the restaurant? Thrilled for you that you are having such a great time (or had, at this point, I guess.) Also, I have heard nothing but good things about the Marvelous Miss M series on Prime. Happy New Year!

Lori- I totally understand how you would drink the coffee with the super cold weather though. It brings the comfort of something hot without the calories involved with food. I was thinking of trying to teach myself to like hot tea this winter. A hot cuppa would be a good thing when I 'want something.'
I hope you can get a nap in today.

Trig- come on home now! Surely your girl is due back in school today?

•••••••••••

Ah, yes, indeed the house is my own today! Actually DS19 doesn't go back to school until like the 24th of January, but he went to a sleepover at a friend's last night so the house is mine at the moment! DS16 returned to school today and Dh is on a day trip to ATL- he said the airport was a total zoo. Not surprised at all. I just feel sorry for him having to travel today with his cold.

Jaz, can't really speak to my overall plan at this juncture, but I can say that I am doing induction for this two week period. Started yesterday so today is day two. On track.

Getting the house back in order and things done- comforting to me after the fun and struggle and mayhem of the last 11 days.

Do you guys have other goals in mind that are not health related? I met my reading goal last year but lowered it for this year. I committed to 50 books this year.

DH gave me an electric kettle for Christmas and I really like it. It may help with my tea endeavor. It is great for using with my French Press. I am all about the coffee ritual.. I like it as much as the coffee itself. I hand grind the beans every day, steep them, press etc.

I'm making pulled pork today for dinner but also going ahead and making the chicken veggie soup. I am mostly winging it (but with chicken thighs!)- I will poach them in broth and then cut them up, and add in broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and yellow and green squash. Roasted diced tomatoes and a bit of tomato paste/sauce. Not too much though. Spices of various sorts to wrap it all up.

That's about it. Nothing earth shattering to report today! Hugs!

Last edited by niccofive : Tue, Jan-02-18 at 07:22.
  #854   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 13:06

BF:
Progress:

Nic:
I am going to copy your soup recipe and add it to the one I have. I chuckled at your comment about winging it with the thighs! So how much broth and what does roasting mean? I love all the veggies you are adding. Can you please give me general amounts.

As for other goals for me...I hope to make a home-made meal twice a month for daughter's family across the street. I would like to do it once a week, but not sure I can keep up that pace. I have already started collecting recipes. The food will not be what I can eat, but I am hoping I am strong enough to stay away from it. My daughter and her family are so kind to me. They get so maxed. I think they will love this.

I am not an avid reader like you and Blue and Jaz. Wish I was. So no book goals for me. I do, however, have a goal to read the Bible everyday and also a devotion book.

Hope your DH feels better. Seems like it could make it worse by getting so exhausted. Cool present he got you. But to be honest, I don't know what an electric kettle is!

I am sure it feels so good to get your house back in order and to get things done. I am loving my living room looking plain and cozy. But I also loved all the fresh greens and tree and things I had making it come alive during the Christmas season!

More personals later.

K-Mom 10x4
  #855   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 14:20

BF:
Progress:

Jaz:
Why are they hiring new people if the whole program is in jeopardy of closing?

I like your plan of the shake replacement for lunch and then a dinner meal. I still have a lot of that powder from GNC. I want to do something like you are doing after I do the soup plan. I also love my granola for a meal replacement! I can't do 20:4, but 16:8 is doable. For intentional movement, I use this great video for my arms. It is only five minutes, but what a great five minutes. I can tell you more about it if you want. I have also started this amazing stretching video. It is very short, but stretches many parts of you body to start the day.

Treadmill will be here next week.

Soup plan will start after I get the groceries...and that will happen when it warms up...which doesn't look good for the near future! I am going to a Target tonight to pick up some meds, but I don't think it is a food one. I just switched my meds there. Probably should have switched them to a larger Target.

I feel these little jump starts are a diet. The main thing is that I keep committed to my woe. Feel quite strongly I will.

Great you are starting on your water. I will start up Water Hounds again. I am sure Blue will want to start too.

Hope you got in some good steps today!

K-Mom 10x4
Closed Thread